Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rating system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a little add on to this gaff. You could have a poster rating system so that if people find your post helpful they can rate you, each rating earns you one point and is displayed in single points under your name?

Comments

• Options
    Why bother? The folk without many points will feel of less worth than they do now. Those who read a lot but rarely post would end up with nothing.

As things are, those who post a lot of useful stuff are known by others - anyone building an impression of the site by browsing will likely quickly establish who makes useful posts, and who doesn't. Those who choose to browse and remain anonymous are not 'marked-down' for preferring to be inactive.

Thy thoughts, anyway...
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    sounds a bit tongue in ass :p

all the more arse licking to go around etc

Agree. Can't say it better than that.
  • Options
    Most rating things like that are pretty flawed to be honest.
  • Options
    I can't really see how it would be beneficial to anyone.
  • Options
    I've seen other websites who use the reputation system.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've seen other websites who use the reputation system.

and what did you think of it?

I think the current rating system is less flawed to be honest. Reputations cover your idea.
  • Options
    vBulletin does have a rating system - it however may be abused and is not a fair reflection on users a smany have pointed out : people are bias. If turned on, users may switch it off individually. However there is no real point to the rating system - we all know who' s who and what's what. The only decent rating system is the "points to ban/warning system" one - mods dish out penalty points for swearing/spamming and so forth - a predefined amount of points results in punishment; for example a one week banning, IP address banning and the like.

As you can tell, vBulletin administration/modifications are kinda my thing..
  • Options
    mods dish out penalty points for swearing

Let's hope not.
  • Options
    Why bother? The folk without many points will feel of less worth than they do now. Those who read a lot but rarely post would end up with nothing.

As things are, those who post a lot of useful stuff are known by others - anyone building an impression of the site by browsing will likely quickly establish who makes useful posts, and who doesn't. Those who choose to browse and remain anonymous are not 'marked-down' for preferring to be inactive.

Thy thoughts, anyway...
    i agree.

part of the fun is sussing out who's who and what's what.

you get to navigate internet personalities.

we all know or have a good idea ...of who's going to have something useful or interesting or outragous or just plain dumb to say about differing subjects.

the last thing we need in this world right now is ...more friggin rules and or advice!

especialy in here.

take your time to get to know the digital personalities ...if your going to stay ...
  • Options
    There used to be one.

It sucked.
  • Options
    If you could vote for other posters it would be a total biased nothing more than ass kissing system. Stupid and pointless.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    If Stupid and pointless.
    might have some merrit then.
  • Options
    Is it technically against the rules to swear on here? If so I'm buggered. I've said the F word on more than one occasion, and may have even slipped an occasional C word in there. I've been on an american website where even the word 'penis' gets edited out. And have you seen the new BBC messageboards? Every post is individually checked by the mods before it's posted. It takes longer to have a conversation on there than by texting. I don't think shit like this is needed. If you have an issue with what someone says, just post it. If you found their advice helpful, say so. Why have a rating system? It's not Ebay.
  • Options
    Are you serious? I swear in practically every post I make!
  • Options
    Imagine who would get the highest ratings were such a system ever implemented. It's pretty obvious who make the most informative and helpful posts. For example, Bongbudda's knowledge about drugs cannot be beaten. Or take Kermit, who has helped countless numbers of people over the years. Neither of these are people I've taken kindly to, but I have huge respect for their considerable expertise in such different areas.

Worst posts go to RSS3000 - they're so badly typed, I can't read half of them. :p
  • Options
    Of course you can swear on here you numpties :p They did ban Cunt for a while, along with another one that could be percieved as racist.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There used to be one.

It sucked.

When?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    For example, Bongbudda's knowledge about drugs cannot be beaten. Or take Kermit, who has helped countless numbers of people over the years. Neither of these are people I've taken kindly to, but I have huge respect for their considerable expertise in such different areas.

Why thank you little fella, maybe when you are all grown up you can know things too.
  • Options
    What happened to my thread about SG's twin? I should of got mucho goodio rating for that.
  • Options
    What happened to my thread about SG's twin? I should of got mucho goodio rating for that.
    Yes, I heard about this thread. I never saw it myself, I was told about it by a friend of mine who called me up about it. The moderators probably removed it, thinking I would lodge a complaint without even seeing it.
  • Options
    Why would one complain?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yes, I heard about this thread. I never saw it myself, I was told about it by a friend of mine who called me up about it. The moderators probably removed it, thinking I would lodge a complaint without even seeing it.

That sounds great, shame I never saw it.
  • Options
    Why would one complain?
    Because the mods are probably used to it by now.
    bongbudda wrote:
    That sounds great, shame I never saw it.
    From what I understand, it was up last Tuesday evening.
  • Options
    Wanna see it again?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I was told about it by a friend of mine who called me up about it.
    lol, how playground
  • Options
  • Options
    Those of you commenting about poitns for swearing - the mods/admins decide what should get you points. One forum I visit censors swearing as a fair few kids use it and the guys there are mainly parents (trading forum) - really just depends on what sort of forum it is.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    When?

I was thinking about the thread rating thing...