Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tampons

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry, if I put too much info here. So I always get my period on Sunday. Before I go to bed on Saturday I use a tampon. However I wake up this morning its not there yet. I don't want to miss when it comes. Is it alright to wear one until it arrives? I mean at the most it should be one day, but it is alright to wear a tampon when your not bleeding for even one day?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why not use a pad to prepare?
    I don't own any. Plus, when I was a period novice I remember even the ultra thin, less than a tissue paper ones still made me feel ackward and uncomfortable.
    i find that with tampons i still get small leaks (even when i take it out its not full of blood) so i have to combine with pads anyway, i don't like wearing pads cause they're uncomfortable but i suppose its the down side of being a lady, i've read that you shouldn't really wear tampons in bed cause you sleep for quite a while and tampons should only be in about 6 hours max or else you increase the chance of TSS
    pads can be so messy when you wear them at night but you might have to just grin and bear it
    Ballerina wrote:
    i find that with tampons i still get small leaks (even when i take it out its not full of blood)
    it sounds like you are not inserting them correctly, maybe not far enough.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Ballerina wrote:
    you shouldn't really wear tampons in bed cause you sleep for quite a while and tampons should only be in about 6 hours max or else you increase the chance of TSS

this is true, but i think its now 8 hours, but you should definately not be using them if you are not on your period, especially for a whole night. if you are wanting to be prepared i agree with ballerina and use a pad, it will not be 'messy' because you will only just have come on, and then as soon as it arrives you can carry on using tampons.
    i'm pretty sure it says somewhere on the instruction thing that you're not meant to use it before your period has begun. i'd buy some towels if i were you.
    what about moon cups? can you use them in preperation?
    Ok then thank you. I guess they make the directions and warnings for a reason :p But then heres another question for you, when your late for stress related reasons, how long until it shows up? I mean, wouldn't the lack of forced hormones into my body make it show up? I hate not knowing. It coming on Sunday was my routine, now I'm all messed up! My main thing is, I don't have any pads. I can't go out to get any.
    I'm usually clockwork regular, I can pinpoint pretty much to the hour when its here as I'm on the pill. Mine was late this month by 2 days, which I've pretty much put down to stress, but I know some people just don't get them occasionally.
    my_name wrote:
    Ok then thank you. I guess they make the directions and warnings for a reason :p But then heres another question for you, when your late for stress related reasons, how long until it shows up? I mean, wouldn't the lack of forced hormones into my body make it show up? I hate not knowing. It coming on Sunday was my routine, now I'm all messed up! My main thing is, I don't have any pads. I can't go out to get any.
    It can show up when it feels like showing up :p

It's really not recommended to use tampons in expectation of getting a period. Can't you send your man out to buy pads (or panty liners) for you?
    Randomgirl wrote:
    It can show up when it feels like showing up :p

It's really not recommended to use tampons in expectation of getting a period. Can't you send your man out to buy pads (or panty liners) for you?

Oh wow, I learn so much.
    So say in a normal cirmstance, I put in a tampon Saturday night before I go to bed because I know I'll get my period sometime during the night (I don't know whether its midnight or minutes before I get up) is that bad also? (Also, fyi, on a normal weeknight I do not sleep more than 8 hours so the sleeping w/ tampons thing really isn't a big deal)
    So say in a normal cirmstance, I put in a tampon Saturday night before I go to bed because I know I'll get my period sometime during the night (I don't know whether its midnight or minutes before I get up) is that bad also?

This is not a good idea. If you read the info in the box that comes with tampons they always tell you not to do this. But I often sleep with a tampon in for more than 8 hours. But again this is a bad thing to do. TSS risk increases or something like that.
    I thought they said you can wear them up to eight hours.
    my_name wrote:
    I thought they said you can wear them up to eight hours.
    Yes but only whilst you are actually bleeding.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Yes but only whilst you are actually bleeding.

But I don't know how long I'm bleeding during that night. (FYI, since its a Sunday, I get about 6 hrs of sleep) Should I really be wearing a pad? The thought quite frankly discusts me, does anybody have any recomadations for that then?
    my_name wrote:
    But I don't know how long I'm bleeding during that night. (FYI, since its a Sunday, I get about 6 hrs of sleep) Should I really be wearing a pad? The thought quite frankly discusts me, does anybody have any recomadations for that then?
    Apparently so. But then against I should wear one for sleeping longer than eight hours but I'm not going to.

Personally I find that pads plus sleeping = messy combination.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Apparently so. But then against I should wear one for sleeping longer than eight hours but I'm not going to.

Personally I find that pads plus sleeping = messy combination.

I agree with you. I'm a restelss sleeper and movement is not grand with pads :p
    I guess the more I think, I think, there are so many times I just simply forget I'm wearing a tampon. A few times a year at least, I will just truely forget I'm wearing a tampon and have it in for over 24 hours. I'm just forgetful and not a heavy bleeder. (I guess thats why it lasts so damn long :p) I don't know, now I'm just rambeling.
    Iv'e never heard of mooncups until now. Just had a quick read on the internet about them,has anyone used them?Are they any good etc etc?
    Charlie84 wrote:
    Iv'e never heard of mooncups until now. Just had a quick read on the internet about them,has anyone used them?Are they any good etc etc?

Do a search on this site for mooncup or divacup, there has been a number of threads about people's opinons and experiences :)
    Thanks!
    Mooncups do not have a risk of TSS associated
    Is this because nobody has studied it yet?

So few women get TSS and so few women use mooncups that I doubt they would have enough information to go on yet.
    my_name wrote:
    A few times a year at least, I will just truely forget I'm wearing a tampon and have it in for over 24 hours.
    You are seriously putting your health at risk by doing this. I seriously recommend you get over your disgust for pads.

Toxic Shock Syndrome is a serious problem and women die from it. Wearing a tampon for 24 hours is irresponsible - if you can't remember when you're wearing one, then perhaps you shouldn't be using them at all. :eek2:

Edited to add: How on Earth do you wear a blood soaked tampon for 24 hours? Surely that's more disgusting than wearing a blood soaked pad for a couple of hours and then throwing it away and wearing a fresh one?

Ilora x

Edited to add: How on Earth do you wear a blood soaked tampon for 24 hours? Surely that's more disgusting than wearing a blood soaked pad for a couple of hours and then throwing it away and wearing a fresh one?

Ilora x

:yuck:
    You are seriously putting your health at risk by doing this. I seriously recommend you get over your disgust for pads.

Toxic Shock Syndrome is a serious problem and women die from it. Wearing a tampon for 24 hours is irresponsible - if you can't remember when you're wearing one, then perhaps you shouldn't be using them at all. :eek2:

Ilora x

I bleed so little. Most of the time there is just a spot or two as this only happens at the very end of my cycle. Good thing I'm a big girl so I can wear tampons though.
    my_name wrote:
    I bleed so little. Most of the time there is just a spot or two as this only happens at the very end of my cycle. Good thing I'm a big girl so I can wear tampons though.
    well if you bleed very little make sure you are using the lightest absorbency possible.
    TSS is very rare but i still wouldnt take the chance by wearing a tampon when im not bleeding.
    but for some odd reason i can always tell exactly when i'm about to come on. if its during the night then i usually wake up just in time.
    God I just wrote a bitchy post, sorry. I do always wear the lightest absorbancy ones. Thanks for all your help people.
    i don't know how you could wear a tampon for 24 hours without realising, mine tend to kind of..start coming lose!
    Gah, all menstral blah blahs are horrid, I try to not use anything. Just drip and wipe over the toilet every couple of hours, and make a mad dash to the toilet when I stand up after lying down. I can quite understand disgust at sanitary towels, they make me want to hurl, a big girls nappie for her menstral blood. Warm and festering and in your knickers!!! Sometimes it's not practical to go without anything, long journey for instance- when I'll wear a tampon but whip it out at the first oppurtunity. I think I may well be alone in my dislike for all sanitary protection... Now, if only my blasted pmt were as light as my flow!