Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Belly Button Piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
- Not really sure if this is the best place for this? But anyway... -

I had my belly button pierced a couple of days ago, when I got it, I loved. Don't get me wrong I love it now as well, its just I've noticed, its a bit too the left, so its not in the centre (I say it isn't straight, but some people don't get what I mean when I say that...). It's ok, but I'm a bit obsessive about things, and one thing i am really bad about is things being in in the centre, straight and symmetrical, so this is annoying me more than the average person.

So basically, I don't know whether I really am overreacting, if there is anything I can do, or what..

The thought of taking it out, letting it heal then just getting done again has seriously crossed my mind. And to be honest, its really not that bad, it's only to the left by like half a cm at the Very most. But its enough for me to have noticed and be traumatised by.

Any advice? (Other than get over it)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Surely it can't be half a cm out of line? I mean, my belly button isn't even a cm wide?!

I would say mine isn't 'perfectly' straight, but no-one else will ever know because it's such a tiny bit. Remember, it's not like they have a ruler to start faffing about with - they just do it there and then.

Don't really think there's a lot you can do!
    It's probably only about a couple of mm, but its noticable, and I know its not something that wrong, but it bothers me. Alot. (I get a bit irrational about my little obsessive things..I like things symmetrical, and things in the centre)

Maybe it'll be less noticable with a different bar or something.
    Maybe.

Best thing to do is wait the 6 weeks or whatever it takes to heal (mine was 6 weeks, about 7 years ago!) and change the bar to a smaller one - they always pierce with a large one to allow for swelling and stuff.
    Yeah, wait for the swelling to go down before deciding that it's off-centre.
    My labret stud is off centre slightly, though it depends on where you looka t the centre line. It's smack bang in the middle of my face with my lips closed but if I toothy smile, it's outta line with the middle gap of my teeth. It used to really really bug me until after pointing it out to LOADS of people- they all said "I can't tell, get over it". I'm soooo over it now, even if it is off-centre...
    Most navel piercings are a bit off and there are a lot of people like you who are driven crazy by it ;) Seriously, don't worry, and definitely don't get it repierced. As long as it's healing okay, it's fine. I think there is a type of jewellery that hides any off-centerness, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. Still, as soon as you think it's healed (which won't be for some time so don't touch it!) you can swap your bar for a smaller one, or a different sort of jewellery entirely. Really though, as soon as you can change the bar to one that fits well, it shouldn't flop around much at all.
    I agree with let the swelling go down....my center lip piercing looked well out of whack for the week after getting it done. Let it go down, heal, change out the bar and if you still cant stand it, take it out, leave it a few months and get it re-done.
    And dont forget to check, recheck, and double check the placement while your there if thats the case.

Happy healing
    Peace
    my belly piercing was out and the longer i left it in i'm convinced it got more squint. i spoke to a piercer who said that they can do that after a while, anyways, I had mine for about 4 years. nobody else noticed that it was out but it bugged the hell out of me, now that i've taken it out i'm left with a squint hole which is also very annoying but as far as i know there's nothing that can be done about it, just gotta live with i'm afraid :rolleyes:
    mine also isnt straight, and even to this day it still bugs me slightly, like when i wear certain types of bars it leans at a funny angle, but other people dont really notice it!
    ah would you get over it.it no big deal ok mine was prefect straight but i would cry over something as stupid as that
    i mean wouldnt
    My mum's is really crooked and it is noticable but the only thing u can do is just deal with it really try and find bars that look ok in the piercing like rings or the spiral studs straight banana bars usually show crookedness more
    I've just been not looking at it as much over the last couple of days, as I could tell the obsessing wasn't helping. It stills seems wonky, but not as bad.

I'll just try different bars and things when I can change it.

I feel a bit calmer about it all now :)
    In experience, no piercings are straight. None are completly perfect. But it is your body. If it bothers you that much then do take it out and do it later. Its not about whether others see it crooked or not, if you do, it will probably bother you. But none are perfect and its up to you. But remember, if you do get it done again, it still may not be perfect.
    I found when i had my eyebrow and nipple done neither of them are straight either, not think it helped i had a banana bar in my eyebrow.

On a side note what do you girls think of men with both nipples pierced? i've got my left one done about 5years ago with just a bar. and i've been thinking about having the other one done with a ring. your thoughts?
    I like the symmetry of a guy with two pierced nipples :yes: personally I prefer a barbell to a ring though... I always have a temptation to tug at rings. Maybe I'm just a sadistic cow though! :rolleyes:
    BatWings wrote:
    I like the symmetry of a guy with two pierced nipples :yes: personally I prefer a barbell to a ring though... I always have a temptation to tug at rings. Maybe I'm just a sadistic cow though! :rolleyes:
    LOL thats a good point :crazyeyes , might go for a second bar instead
    i dont like rings. They look very camp.
    Barbells are much better.