Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Birthday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone think it would be strange if their partner said they did not want them there on their birthday, or only for part of the day?

I've basically been told by my girlfriend that she doesn't want me there and her birthday is all about her and her family. I'm free to come over later in the day, but she doesn't want me there while she opens her presents and all the other birthday things you do.

I said I didn't have a problem, it was her day and she can do what she wants. To be honest, I don't mind at all, but I did think it was a little odd. Do you think there is something deeper going on here or am I just reading into it too much (as usual :rolleyes: )?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't say how long you've been going out. If it's a recent thing then I wouldn't say it was that weird. If you've been steady for a while then maybe a little odd but maybe she just wants to spend the morning with her folks and then get together with yourself later.
    You don't say how long you've been going out. If it's a recent thing then I wouldn't say it was that weird. If you've been steady for a while then maybe a little odd but maybe she just wants to spend the morning with her folks and then get together with yourself later.

about a year.

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned, but youknow, these thoughts do creep into your head when you've got too much time to think!
    sounds a bit childish of her tbh.
    hmm.. i don't want to worry you but when i was goin out with someone for a year i didnt want him at family things because i didnt want him to be that involved in my life.. like at a family level. eventually i dumped him when i realised i couldn't see a future.
    When i was with my ex, even thou we were together for 3 and a half years, when it came to things like christmas and birthdays i prefered to have the beginning of the day just with my family, part of the day with my family and my fella, and then the end of the day with just my fella. Not sure why but thats just how i liked it. And it was nothing to do with not wanting my fella to be too involved in my family life, just down to personal preference thats all.
    I'm sure you posted before about having a weird girlfriend, if so, then she does seem a little odd.
    May be it is just something she does as a family,but after a year i think i may be a little concerned if my partner didn't want me there with him if i was able to be there!
    Silverberg wrote:
    I'm sure you posted before about having a weird girlfriend, if so, then she does seem a little odd.

LOL

I think she does some things that seem a little odd to me, but I love her anyway :)

My biggest problem is her unwillingness to communicate about important issues/problems, hence me being on here talking about them so much. :rolleyes:
    lipsy wrote:
    hmm.. i don't want to worry you but when i was goin out with someone for a year i didnt want him at family things because i didnt want him to be that involved in my life.. like at a family level. eventually i dumped him when i realised i couldn't see a future.

Hmmm, well that's what I was thinking, the only times I haven't wanted my girlfriends at things like this was when I didn't want to be with them full stop.

I know she said she wants to see me, but I don't know why she doesn't want to include me with all teh normal birthday stuff and family stuff that goes on. She just wants to see me after.

By the way, her birthday isn't for a little while yet, and by the time it comes round we will have been together for a good 15 months, but she seems to have made her mind up already.
    i wouldnt worry about it, its probably just something that they do every year and she just wants spend a bit of time alone with her family!