Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    klintock wrote:
    Oh dear. The police only ever clean up afterwards. The chance of a policeman stopping a rape in progress is pointlessly small. The chance of some random passerby being a policeman is next to nil.

What the fuck do you think I mean? If you can hear it, see it, touch it, taste it or smell it, then it's there. this is why you have to construct symbols to fool people, like flags, anthems and so on. Also I assume you can make the distinction between what's internal experience and what's external.
    The chance of intervention is not relevant. Although police do intervene while crimes are in progress, as in Bradford recently. Man of Kent, choose your side, the PC who was shot or the guy who shot her.

There are only five senses? I guess there are only 4 elements too? And senses at that, which are notorious for deceiving us. Why not add hunger, that must be a sense, and it's a very useful one. surely fear too, and tiredness...

agreements exist, regardless of your basic and irrelevant thinking on senses.
  • Options
    There are only five senses?

And the structure that unites them.
    The chance of intervention is not relevant.

It is to your example. The police to all intents and purposes cannot protect anybody. All they do is sweep up the mess afterwards in 99.9% of cases.
    And senses at that, which are notorious for deceiving us.

Damn right they are. If even that which you can definitely sense is suspect, why try and build mountains of certainty out of stuff that has no sensory basis?
    Why not add hunger, that must be a sense and it's a very useful one. surely fear too, and tiredness...

They are all feelings, or didn't you notice that?
    agreements exist, regardless of your basic and irrelevant thinking on senses.

>sigh<

When and where were these agreements enterd into between which individuals? Wheres the proof, the evidence?

What agreements are you on about anyway, specifically?
  • Options
    You need to explain the difference between a "sense" and a "feeling". Why are hunger and warmth mere feelings, while mirages in the desert are superior senses?

Klintock, on agreement, the orthodox view, which is useful, and predictive, and can't be disproved, is a better bet than your view, which is unpopular, useless, meaningless, and is disproved by the fact that agreement exists on the futility of your argument. Agreement exists.
  • Options
    This was on QI a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Klintock, on agreement, the orthodox view, which is useful, and predictive, and can't be disproved

Yes, useful, yes predictive, can't be proven. That's the important bit. You are the one asserting that these "agreements" exist. yet you can't say when they started, who they are between, what the terms are or how long they will last for. You have no evidence for your assertion of an agreement.

It's up to you to prove that what you say is right, or we are looking at one of those tricky theological type debates where you "know" you are right in the face of all the facts, or in this case, lack of facts. Proof please! in other words.
    better bet than your view, which is unpopular, useless, meaningless, and is disproved by the fact that agreement exists on the futility of your argument.

So the world became flat when everyone thought it was so? how useful was it to point out that the earth wasn't the centre of the universe in an age when the bible held everyone back?

Of course it's meaningless, the world is meaningless. Only people hold meanings for things, the world couldn't give a shit.
    Agreement exists.

Proof please.
  • Options
    You are right, that it is not physical, that is why I asked you to define "sensory, factual reality", which is enough for you, like a mirage. You have to choose. You at the moment are inconsistent, I haven't committed myself to a physical definition.
  • Options
    You are right, that it is not physical, that is why I asked you to define "sensory, factual reality", which is enough for you, like a mirage.

:confused:
    You have to choose.

No, I don't. ;)
    I haven't committed myself.

Yeah you have.
    Originally posted by wind up bloke -

Agreement exists.
  • Options
    Actually, there may be a physical component or at least a way to identify agreement by observing something, I'm thinking neural activity, but I don't know.
  • Options
    Actually, there may be a physical component or at least a way to identify agreement

Sure there is. They are called contracts.
    I'm thinking neural activity, but I don't know.

Well, if you could start doing some it might be a help. Any chance of getting to the questions you bypassed?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    :confused:

No, I don't. ;)

Yeah you have.
    You are not confused, just stuck for answers.

Yes you did.

No I didn't.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Sure there is. They are called contracts.

Well, if you could start doing some it might be a help. Any chance of getting to the questions you bypassed?
    Contracts ore pieces of paper given meaning only by the people who agree with the words on the contracts. I have to tell you this?

You need to ask them first.
  • Options
    You are not confused, just stuck for answers.

With your mind reading skills, do you think you could come up with some proof for those agreements you were on about?
    Yes you did.

No I didn't.

HE'S BEHIND YOU!!

Panto season is in.
  • Options
    Contracts ore pieces of paper given meaning only by the people who agree with the words on the contracts. I have to tell you this?

Nope, but I was hoping for that kind of answer. Contracts are indeed, just pieces of paper. So, if even contracts with signatures on them aren't agreements, how are you going to prove that any other kind of agreement exists?
  • Options
    trinity1 wrote:
    Puerile. choose whether you would wish to spend the next fifteen minutes being raped and tortured, or the next 10 seconds been threatened with that ordeal and then have the police intervene. What do the police represent?

1. I may be wrong, but a crime has already taken place. I would already be a victim. Therefore the police has only prevented a greater crime, not prevented crime completely.

2. Can you guarantee that the Police will turn up?

3. Is it only the Police who would turn up, or could that happenstance you descibe actually be any member of the public?

4. The police represent the enforcement of laws. Their role is not protection or prevention. They are not a pre-emptive service.
    Although police do intervene while crimes are in progress, as in Bradford recently.

The crime had already been committed.
    Man of Kent, choose your side, the PC who was shot or the guy who shot her.

How about the brazillian murdered by the police?

Or maybe I could go for the side of the Guildford 4, Birmingham 6. I am sure that Colin Stagg would like me to side with him to.

How many examples do you want?
  • Options
    The police represent the enforcement of laws. Their role is not protection or prevention. They are not a pre-emptive service.

Not quite true. They do have an enforcement role, but they do do also have a protection and prevention. Bobbies on the beat are as much there to prevent crime (by being seen as visible deterrent) as they are to enforce the law or deal with it after it has been broken.

The police also spend a lot of time trying to pre-empt crime - police going round to pensioners clubs to give them advice on home security etc.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Bobbies on the beat are as much there to prevent crime (by being seen as visible deterrent) as they are to enforce the law or deal with it after it has been broken.

Which is why the "Beat" numbers have been reduced over time.

There is no point being on the beat if a crime is being committed a mile away and it will take you 15 minutes to walk there or 20 seconds to drive.
    The police also spend a lot of time trying to pre-empt crime - police going round to pensioners clubs to give them advice on home security etc.

As a proportion of their availability, how much do you honestly believe this represents?
  • Options
    Beat policing still represents a significant amount of time (and many police forces are going back to it).

As % of time pre-emption is probably relatively small - but its still there. and as % of resources its a lot higher (look at all the posters etc paid for by the Met, leaflets etc)

The role of the police is much more than dealing with crime once committed - even though that is probably to many police officers the 'sexy' bit.
  • Options
    Now that I am home, I thought I'd post this excerpt from a Blog I link into regularly, thanks to a friend directing me there, which was about the topic of Beat Bobbies:
    Thursday, November 24, 2005
    Common Sense Exercise

It seems that more people want to see my friendly face.

You’re fed up with me chugging past in my low powered diesel vehicle making lots of noise and often delaying your important car journey by ten seconds. That’s just not good enough for you anymore.

No, you want to see more ‘bobbies on the beat’; especially now that the bus conductors definitely aren’t coming back. I’m sure that when you’re setting policies this one may feature somewhere in the top ten. That’s fine with me, I quite like the idea. Except if it’s a bit chilly or drizzly that is.

I’m not too sure that the handful of officers covering half a county between them every night would be with me on this. But, in the Throbbing Metropolis it wouldn’t be too bad. There are more of us to go around and we have 24 hour buses should we need to get somewhere in a hurry.

Obviously there are one or two downsides. Not that they’re very important; nor are they likely to take the shine off of my stress-free days strolling around the streets of Small Corner chit-chatting with reassured policy makers.

Drawback number one would be the advantage Police cars have over Police officers when it comes to carrying equipment. There is enough in your average low powered diesel vehicle to make a team of sherpas summon reinforcements. Not that we need all of this for every call you understand, it’s there just in case. Foot patrol virtually guarantees that everything you attend will require an item or form that is normally in the boot of the car. Not an insurmountable problem. I can just walk back to the station and get it.

The second problem may be harder to overcome. You see, looking reassuring and waving at small children is all well and good if it wasn’t for one minor detail. That would be those times when our crystal ball has malfunctioned and we weren’t walking along the right street at the precise moment a crime is being committed. On those occasions you may feel the need to reach for the phone and correct these errors. In fact you’re really good at this and we get between ten and twelve thousand calls for these oversights. That’s across the Metropolis each and every day. I think we might need a new crystal ball.

A good number of these are graded as ‘emergency’ calls. This means that we have to get to them within twelve minutes to keep the statisticians and performance managers happy. Every now and then they turn out to be real emergencies. Police cars are pretty useful for getting us there within the time limit. If we were all on foot we might have to get that limit extended a bit. Is an hour okay with you?

All this hot-footing around to meet the time limits may delay us in getting to the non-urgent calls. Sorry about that. Maybe we could pop round during a normally quiet period to discuss the youths who were playing football in your street last week?

I’m sure you’ll be pleased to see my friendly, reassuring face.

Somewhere between four and six in the morning.
  • Options
    Er, yes there are drawbacks to every policy, including beat policing - if you can develop the perfect policy for policing you'll become a very famous man.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that every single policeman goes back to foot patrol and we do away with cars. However, the police are also there to reassure the public - one of the reasons why the British moved from policing by the Army to a civilian police service was to make sure that policing done by people who were part of the communities (and not based in barracks as the army was). That still remains a fundamental part of everyday British policing. Now beat policing may catch less criminals, but they make the public feel safer and there is a deterrent value (in that people - including criminals - feel the police haven't lost control and are less likely to commit crime).

Dealing with the aftermath of crimes is part of the job, so is being out in the community reassuring people - even if not so exciting as zooming down the street sirens blairing.