Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

bunking off work!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does a tummy bug sounds a good excuse? i should have 2 days off for that right?

my work took away my days off this week AND i have to work all over x-mas so im taking some times off 2day and 2moro lol!

i need an excuse...i think tummy bug sounds ok to get me 2 days off doesnt it?

whats the best excuse you've ever used to stay off work?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pneumonia. But I wasn't actually faking that.
    If you are going to use "tummy bug" at least act like you have been to a doctor and they have given you the proper name: gastroenteritis
    skiving work is wrong and costs the country billions.

but otherwise, tummy bug is probably fine, or also feeling dizzy and sick is a good one.
    Would your work think it all seems a bit suss. Your were supposed to have some hols this week that your work cancelled for whatever reasons and now you've got some mystery "tummy bug".

nowt they can do about it but tummy bug sounds OK. There is alot of it going about.
    Would your work think it all seems a bit suss. Your were supposed to have some hols this week that your work cancelled for whatever reasons and now you've got some mystery "tummy bug".

A little suss, at my work place alram bells would be ringing, but if you still got sick days left to use, then they can't really do that much about it, but it may cause problems in the future.
    you can use my excusse, although im not faking it, i got up this morning and i couldnt walk at all!
    Little_one wrote:
    A little suss, at my work place alram bells would be ringing, but if you still got sick days left to use, then they can't really do that much about it, but it may cause problems in the future.

do places give you sick days? i thought it was just a case you were sick and therefore cant go into work? i never knew you could get an allowance
    you can use my excusse, although im not faking it, i got up this morning and i couldnt walk at all!

But I don't think being up all night :naughty::naughty: is a real excuse :p
    But I don't think being up all night :naughty::naughty: is a real excuse :p

i really cant walk, my knee is stuck!
    i really cant walk, my knee is stuck!

Hey. I'm not your boss. You don't have to try and convince me ;)
    well, the thing is ive been telling my boss all week that i was gonna pull a sickie today, then i got up and couldnt walk so i rang them and said id go docs then go in, but then my mum got up and rang them saying i wouldnt be going in at all!
    sickness and diarroreha (sp!?) they won't want to ask :p
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The thing is though, they may know if you are faking it as they obviously know you have no days off and are not impressed.

But yes, if you are going to do it then say it is gastroenteritis.
    Why do you need to get away from work? You're paid for a reason you know. :p
    beans wrote:
    sickness and diarroreha (sp!?) they won't want to ask :p
    I'd go with this.
    I skived work last night and said I had sickness n diahorrea. I then saw my shift runner last night whilst I was out :yeees: I ended up having a blazing argument with him about the fact legally I'm entitled to 48 hours off as I work in a food place and how I spend those 48 hours is up to me. Hmm.

Man, that's unlucky!

Sickness and diarrhea is the best bet, they never ask any questions because it's not a nice subject...and they'd never ask you to "come in anyway" (which has happened to me the odd time when I've phoned in with a headache or similar).
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Say you've got the shits.
    Always the best skiving excused.
    Weekender Offender 
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :rolleyes: Tut tut.

Have you guys seen our 'Throw a sickie' E-card? Check it out here :D
    I used to just tell them I'm too tired to come in and I need some rest .. which used to work fine for me..

of course the fact that the day before I had been in the office continously from 8:30am until midnight doing some emergency work - and getting home around 1am no one ever dared question me... espacially when at the time I wasn't even getting paid for the extra hour 6.5 hours after 5:30pm
    everyone seems to be skiving off as it comes up to xmas
    **Helen** wrote:
    :rolleyes: Tut tut.

Have you guys seen our 'Throw a sickie' E-card? Check it out here :D
    Wow. Thesite is ever better than I thought! :D
    does a tummy bug sounds a good excuse? i should have 2 days off for that right?

my work took away my days off this week AND i have to work all over x-mas so im taking some times off 2day and 2moro lol!

i need an excuse...i think tummy bug sounds ok to get me 2 days off doesnt it?

two words- women's problems - unless you work for someone who is likely to ask "tits or fanny" (courtesy of Jimmy Carr)
    I wasn't even getting paid for the extra hour 6.5 hours after 5:30pm

That's just wrong - you should complain about this...
    koe_182 wrote:
    do places give you sick days? i thought it was just a case you were sick and therefore cant go into work? i never knew you could get an allowance
    If you get paid sick leave then their will be some "allowance" specified in the terms and conditions of the work contract. Some employers are more lenient than others with it. Also some work places have a culture where it is more or less accepted that you take all your sick days even if you aren't really ill. Also some employers will ask to see a doctor's note to explain missed shifts regardless of whether or not you are entitled to pay for the time off.

I got a doctors note last year for "lethargy" when I had time off but they can use that word when you don't want to be too specific as to what is actually wrong with you.

nowt they can do about it but tummy bug sounds OK. There is alot of it going about.

ah it wasnt holiday days, it was just my days off this week. they took them away cos someone is on holiday. they didnt ask me if i minded which fucked me off! and i have to work all next week, x-mas eve, x-mas day, boxing day and the week after x-mas with only 1 day off so i think im entitled to pull a sicky!

i do love my work but they totally take advantage sometimes, if they'd asked me if i minded covering the shifts it'd be differnt!
    That's just wrong - you should complain about this...

It was but it was a number of years ago and that company went bust soon after I left!!
    Womens problems or a vomiting bug are the best. I went in to work with a really bad hangover for an hour once, threw up four times and went home with a "tummy bug", went home, three hours sleep later, I felt much better! Almost got away with it until my then boss (who I'd been out drinking with) came back off holiday and blew my cover.
    this thread makes me so jelous. If you'r gone from work more than 5 days a year, without some type of medical notation, your fired.

Fighting. Plenty of evidence when you walk in black and blue :yes:

Used that as an excuse for missing an exam last week (9am and hadn't studied).

They asked for medical certification...so now i have to go and see the uni GP when it's evident from one look at me..."rules are rules" :rolleyes:

I have a long list of other excuses. Weddings & dodgy kebabs are among my favourites.
    Ballerina wrote:
    everyone seems to be skiving off as it comes up to xmas

Yeah, I have done. Though if I have another day off I get a "letter of concern". Oops!