Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it if you insult them you get arrseted, but if they call you a nob and a moron its all fine?

Comments

• Options
    Surely you can complain? I would've thought that would be considered verbal abuse.

It depends largely on what you were doing to warrant such comments though. One policeman I know says that he always swears at drunk people because they seem to understand it better.
  • Options
    i was drunk, and still am a bit, but wasnt resisting my yellow card in any way. i dont think complaining would have any effect. it angers me greatly they can get away with it.,
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Why is it if you insult them you get arrseted, but if they call you a nob and a moron its all fine?
    It doesn't make you a big man to insult anybody, sorry.
  • Options
    Avoid the police when drunk. You'll cause trouble for yourself, whether it's justified or not.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I got tugged once for speeding and the gaver called me a 'fucking idiot', but then he let me off so I was quite happy.

You can get away with insulting the police, just don't swear at them or be aggressive.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    But is it illega to swear at the police or call them names such as PIG? Can they actually do anything?
  • Options
    its probably illegal, but if it wasnt i can imagine they could find a way to get you in trouble for it.
  • Options
    If you're going to abuse and insult the police, of course they are going to be less than helpful to you.

Quit your whingeing and button your mouth next time. No sympathy at all.
  • Options
    i didnt say anything to them...
  • Options
    The police represent all that is good and wholesome, and hopeful and moral, about our community, society, state, species. You insult or degrade them, you need a wake-up call. Truncheon on head is no bad thing.
  • Options
    I think you've had one truncheon to the head too many tbh.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I think you've had one truncheon to the head too many tbh.
    Snap! But my position is not a pose. Yours?
  • Options
    Isn't a position. I'm only interested in facts. ;)
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

Because if you insult them you are a moronic nob.
  • Options
    trinity1 wrote:
    The police represent all that is good and wholesome, and hopeful and moral, about our community, society, state, species.

:lol:

This is a joke, right?
  • Options
    trinity1 wrote:
    The police represent all that is good and wholesome, and hopeful and moral, about our community, society, state, species. You insult or degrade them, you need a wake-up call. Truncheon on head is no bad thing.

Not from what I've seen.
  • Options
    i didnt insult them. god. cant peopel read. i was just saying, they get away with it, but we cant.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Isn't a position. I'm only interested in facts. ;)
    It's a fact that your position is seen as a joke and an irrelevance.

Man of kent, no I'm not joking.
    Quarfly, you cannot "see" what they represent, their behaviour sometimes is not as good as it should be.
  • Options
    It's a fact that your position is seen as a joke and an irrelevance.

Yep. It's still factually accurate though, which, as I said, is all I look for. ;)

If people can't see the value of the facts when talking to or about the people who claim to be the government, that's their problem.
    Quarfly, you cannot "see" what they represent, their behaviour sometimes is not as good as it should be.

Or hear it, or feel it, or smell it, or taste it. As things that you can't sense don't exist, then they don't represent anything. See, easy. Facts mate.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yep. It's still factually accurate though, which, as I said, is all I look for. ;)

If people can't see the value of the facts when talking to or about the people who claim to be the government, that's their problem.

Or hear it, or feel it, or smell it, or taste it. As things that you can't sense don't exist, then they don't represent anything. See, easy. Facts mate.
    They value their personal preferences and social attachments more. Maybe there is evolutionary need for community, like sheep.

You are wrong, agreements between people exist, even if they are "factually" wrong.
  • Options
    trinity1 wrote:
    Man of kent, no I'm not joking.

Then I think that you have a rather rosy view of what the Police really represent.

They represent that dark side of our community, they are there for those worst moments in life when you are a victim of crime. They do not offer hope. They offer enforcement and oppression.
  • Options
    They value their personal preferences and social attachments more.

Yes, I know. Lies sound better from someone like yourself.
    Maybe there is evolutionary need for community, like sheep.

Maybe there is an evolutionary need to stop being a community, to adapt.
    You are wrong, agreements between people exist, even if they are "factually" wrong.

No. An agreement has two parties, offer, acceptance etc. When one person doesn't agree their is no agreement. So if you are saying "society" is an ageement between all it's members and I don't agree, I can't be part of it. As I can't refuse, then it's not an agreement at all. It's a type of involuntary servitude. ;)
  • Options
    Then I think that you have a rather rosy view of what the Police really represent.

They represent that dark side of our community, they are there for those worst moments in life when you are a victim of crime. They do not offer hope. They offer enforcement and oppression.
    Exactly, justice, safety, protection by the community for it's victims.

It's the criminals who represent the dark side.
  • Options
    trinity1 wrote:
    Exactly, justice, safety, protection by the community for it's victims.

How can you be a victim if you are safe?

How can there be justice, when you are already suffering?

How can there be crime, if you are protected from it?
    It's the criminals who represent the dark side.

Nah, they're just part of it.
  • Options
    MoK is right. if society was perfect we wouldn't need police, its because its not that we do.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, I know. Lies sound better from someone like yourself.

Maybe there is an evolutionary need to stop being a community, to adapt.

No. An agreement has two parties, offer, acceptance etc. When one person doesn't agree their is no agreement. So if you are saying "society" is an ageement between all it's members and I don't agree, I can't be part of it. As I can't refuse, then it's not an agreement at all. It's a type of involuntary servitude. ;)
    Yes they do. Even as you mean as well as how your words would normally be read.

I think there are two evolutionary drives relevant to this issue. One makes people,and other animals, form groups for their narrow, us vs them, aims. The other seeks to expand the group and include others. Often the two drives are in conflict.

You are wrong, agreements between people exist, even if they are factually wrong.
  • Options
    I think there are two evolutionary drives relevant to this issue.

I don't, not least because evolution is horseshit.
    The other seeks to expand the group and include others. Often the two drives are in conflict.

With humans, this is at the perceptual level. Racists perceive certain faces a certain way, others might disagree and see more similarities. I am so far the other way - i.e. all I see are individuals and differences that I am not racist either, because I perceive no "races" in the first place.
    You are wrong, agreements between people exist, even if they are factually wrong.

No not at all. By exist I mean in sensory, factual reality. The fact that most humans cannot distinguish between inside and outside their heads doesn't change facts. It's more or less a case of "acting as if". Which is brilliant, if you think about it, because it can be stopped or started at will.
  • Options
    How can you be a victim if you are safe?

How can there be justice, when you are already suffering?

How can there be crime, if you are protected from it?

Nah, they're just part of it.
    Puerile. choose whether you would wish to spend the next fifteen minutes being raped and tortured, or the next 10 seconds been threatened with that ordeal and then have the police intervene. What do the police represent?

NQA, of course.
  • Options
    Klintock, what do you mean by "sensory, factual reality"?
  • Options
    Puerile. choose whether you would wish to spend the next fifteen minutes being raped and tortured, or the next 10 seconds been threatened with that ordeal and then have the police intervene. What do the police represent?

Oh dear. The police only ever clean up afterwards. The chance of a policeman stopping a rape in progress is pointlessly small. The chance of some random passerby being a policeman is next to nil.
    Klintock, what do you mean by "sensory, factual reality"?

What the fuck do you think I mean? If you can hear it, see it, touch it, taste it or smell it, then it's there. this is why you have to construct symbols to fool people, like flags, anthems and so on. Also I assume you can make the distinction between what's internal experience and what's external.