Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bands who should've made it big...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not sure if this has been asked recently, but I was interested in bands or artists that people feel didn't get the recognition they deserved.

There are some bands who are 'cool' and have a big following, but they never make it to the wider listening public.

From me....

The Wake ... Scottish band of the early 80's, very like early New Order, featured a young Bobby Gillespie.

The Chameleons ... Brilliant Manchester indie band of the early 80's.

Love ... Influential hippy band from LA in the late 60's.

The Field Mice ... Jangly guitar pop in the late 80's/early 90's.

dEUS ... Belgian band 90's/00's. Some really cool stuff. Still going strong.

Sigur Ros ... Icelandic group 90's/00's. Have started to receive more recognition, but still widely unknown by many.

Some of these are better known than others, but it makes me sad that more people don't know them. There are many others, but it's some to begin with.

Who can you suggest?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to like reggae band from Bristol called Talisman. I wish they would've made it big.
    Also, there was a band called Another Sunny Day on the Sarah label. They were good.
    Franksound
    Franksound

Franksound?

What are they like?
    Love might not have made it that big at the time, but they've achieved legendary status now.
    There's a band where I'm from called the Bullycats who are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Sadly like so many good bands, they're nowhere.

Young Heart Attack - saw them supporting Motorhead and released a really good debut album but have kinda gone into hiding.

Burning Brides - released one of the best singles I've heard in years - Artic Snow - but haven't done much since.
    Franksound?

What are they like?

To be frank, they sound shite...hence the name franksound. Only messing, never 'erd of 'em.
    Ani Difranco - If more people listened to her the world would be a more compassionate place.

Nedelle - Because she has such a pretty voice.

Propagandhi - Because... Just because.
    Tool wrote:

The Chameleons ... Brilliant Manchester indie band of the early 80's.

There's a message board I post on where most of the members are obsessed with this band. (And it's not even a Chameleons message board...)
    The Field Mice ... Jangly guitar pop in the late 80's/early 90's.

You do know that they are still going and they released a single the week before last?

For me personally:

Clint Boon Experience

Wedding Present (or at least remembered more for than the band who released a single every month in '92)

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

bandits
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

I don't get the hype with them at the moment... I really dont..
    Big Country. Arguably more talent than U2.
    Gov't Mule: Cream meets Led Zep meets the Allman Brothers.
    Testament - Should've broken into the "Big Four of Thrash"

Opeth - Probably the most musically gifted Metal band.

Budgie - At the very least as good as Black Sabbath.

Public Image Ltd - Innovative
    Big Country. Arguably more talent than U2.

Christ, they were dreadful.
    Braineater wrote:

Public Image Ltd - Innovative

They were quite big back in the day. I still play them out when I'm DJ'ing sometimes.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Christ, they were dreadful.

Which doesn't disprove the fact they're more talented than U2:p

Easyworld should have made it big, but split up before they did. Remy Zero made it quite big, but again split up before they got mega.

Sigur Ros and Ani diFranco are very well-known, so I don't think they count. You'll be saying the Indigo Girls are unheard of next.
    Kermit, when did Easyworld split?
    About eighteen months ago now...
    Kermit wrote:
    Which doesn't disprove the fact they're more talented than U2:p

Actually I still rate U2 up until The Joshua Tree.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Actually I still rate U2 up until The Joshua Tree.

The Joshua Tree was their most acclaimed albulm though.
    The Joshua Tree was one of U2's better albums - I found most of their stuff after that depressing.

Big Country did some very varied stuff - we're all entitled to our own opinions, and I'll never criticise someone for their musical tastes. But if you're basing your opinion on their early stuff, try one of their later albums. Or, vice-versa. Their direction changed somewhat over the years and, personally, I found more meaning in their later stuff. But some of their early records were also powerful and from the heart.

To me, there is something a little deeper with them than just the music you hear. A bit like Nik Kershaw - but I'm more than a little strange, so I don't expect anyone else to understand me in the slightest :).
    My Deaf Audio - Little band from my town that recentley split up, my brother loved them.
    turlough wrote:
    The Joshua Tree was their most acclaimed albulm though.

I should have said up to and including. Rattle and Hum after it was shite (even though it was their most popular so far) and they've been downhill ever since
    Kermit wrote:

Easyworld should have made it big

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
    Kermit wrote:
    Remy Zero made it quite big, but again split up before they got mega.

Remy Zero were terrible! The biggest thing they ever did was the Smallville themetune. I saw them supporting Weezer and they were truly dire.
    brand new. they rock my socks. um. bright eyes maybes. i dunno its nearly 3 am. oo i agree with whoever said Opeth
    hear say
    Talisman
    I used to like reggae band from Bristol called Talisman. I wish they would've made it big.
    Also, there was a band called Another Sunny Day on the Sarah label. They were good.
    Do you know if there are any Talisman CD's etc. out there, as i was very keen on them as well, i would like to get hold of some of their music! I have 2 singles on vinyl, but need more if possible! Does anyone know????
    brand new, praghandi...they are big bands :)

I would like to throw into the equation

This aint vegas from newcastle i think: http://www.myspace.com/thisaintvegas
    and also dartz! http://www.myspace.com/darts

i actually think dartz! are getting quite big now, they've done a few radio one sessions, been in nme and all that. Probably going to be the next big thing and some of the nicest guys you'll ever speak to.

Hot club de paris - lovely scouse band, sort of indie meets a barber shop quartet i guess. http://www.myspace.com/hotclubdeparis heard these guys got on the same lable as bloc party which is great news for them (and us i guess)
    days of worth.. amazing band but they've split now i think.. definately deserved to make it big, I think they mightve played one of the stages at download last year.

Also, Vintersorg are another great band with very little recognition. I agree with opeth too but they're kind of going mainstream anyway
    There was an Australian band called Burning Brides who did one of the best songs of the past 5 years called Artic Snow but nothing seems to have been heard of them since.

Young Heart Attack should by all logic have made it big by now but haven't. Saw them supporting Motorhead and they were fantastic.

Pure Rubbish. Another band from Texas like YHA. Lemmy loves them. Yet somehow hardly anyone has heard of them. Go figure.