Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hospital - what to wear?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i've to go into hospital tomorrow for a while, and although i'm doing well on the things to take, i'm a bit stuck on the things to wear.

i asked the nurse, and she said just to bring my 'sleeping things', but i'm not sure whether to take some normal clothes too.

i'm going in mostly for tests, so depending on what they do to me, some days i might be bedridden, or i might feel not too bad.

despite spending an unecessary amount of time visting in that hospital lately, all the wards i've been on have been for acutely ill people, so everyone's in their PJs and pretty monged all the time, which is of no help at all...

Comments

• Options
    PJs for sleepin in, and just normal clothes for day time. You won't want to be stuck on the ward if you're well enough to find the day room.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    PJs for sleepin in, and just normal clothes for day time. You won't want to be stuck on the ward if you're well enough to find the day room.

Good luck.

Just pack clothes that are nice and comfortable, as Kentish says if you are well enough to go to the day room you won't want to be in your Pjs.
  • Options

i never buy any items of clothing that aren't comfy, so i'll just grab a random handful.
    Little_one wrote:
    if you are well enough to go to the day room you won't want to be in your Pjs.

i don't know... i'd go to work in my jammies if they'd let me :p
  • Options
    i'd make the most of your time being able to stay in your jammies to be honest! failing that just jogging bottoms and a nice comfy jumper or something. hope it goes alright :)
  • Options
    take a dressing gown aswell
  • Options
    Don't forget your slippers! :thumb: Hope everything goes well X
  • Options
    I would try to take something that is a hybrid of PJs and day-clothes so if you want to leave abruptly or go for a wonder then you won't get stared at.

But that's just me.
  • Options
    Take PJs and a dressing gown, and some huge slippers, and you can roam the hallways like a loon.
  • Options
    Hope all goes well and you don't get too bored.

I hate hospitals. :(
  • Options
    Yeah like everyone said PJ's, normal comfy clothes, slippers, bathrobe. Take in somethin to keep u entertained 2. If there will be days where ur bedridden then u will need lots of mags puzzle books etc etc to pass the time on as it can get realllllllly boring!!

Hope it all goes well for u!
  • Options
    If there will be days where you will be bedridden remember to take change so that you can phone home as most hospitals have a moblie pay phone that they bring round, as remember you can't use your mobile inside the buildings or really even have it switched on.

Sorry if slightly off topic, hope it all goes well.
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    If there will be days where you will be bedridden remember to take change so that you can phone home as most hospitals have a moblie pay phone that they bring round

Or they might even have this .

She's probably gone by now.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Or they might even have this.

Hope she took out a second mortgage first then...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Calls to the bedside cost 39p per minute off-peak and 49p at all other times.
    Ouch. Tad expensive for people wanting to ring and find out how people are doing.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Yeah, I know! Still, I suppose having the option is better than not. I've been so bored in hospital before I've resorted to counting the holes in the ceiling panels and staring at them till I could see weird faces in them. :o
    Rich-E wrote:
    Ouch. Tad expensive for people wanting to ring and find out how people are doing.

Obviously you'd ring them back, as it's 1/5 - 1/4 the price. Plus I'm sure there are still payphones (probably no cheaper to ring out) and people can still ring the wards if they want to.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Obviously you'd ring them back, as it's 1/5 - 1/4 the price. Plus I'm sure there are still payphones (probably no cheaper to ring out) and people can still ring the wards if they want to.
    Yeah true, look pretty nifty anyway!
  • Options
    When I was in hospital having the baba I got a TV voucher for the telly/phone thingy, it was £3.50 for a days tv and with that you got 30 mins free on the phone, not *that* bad if you're stuck in bed all day and need some distraction.
  • Options
    Yeah i used it too when i was in with James. I only used it for about 1/2 hrs a day but it broke the day up.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Or they might even have this .

She's probably gone by now.

they do have that, but i'm taking a year's supply of books and my knitting to avoid having to pay :)

i'm going in at 2 :nervous:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    they do have that, but i'm taking a year's supply of books and my knitting to avoid having to pay :)

i'm going in at 2 :nervous:
    Good luck Kaff :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

That's alright for the first week!

I'd say good luck but I'm sure you don't need it and you'll be just fine (even if with blistered fingers from all the knitting.)
  • Options
    Well at least it's giving patients an option

Those machines don't look cheap to buy, install, etc

And I assume a private company has paid for all of that
  • Options
    They are giving people an option, but the charges are nothing short of obscene.

It bankrupts my mum-in-law every time her youngest goes into hospital. They are very expensive, so much so they were going to get investigated by OFTEL.
  • Options
    Ah well yes I can see that could be a big problem if you've got someone who is in and out of hospital. I just recall the times I've been in for a couple of weeks and could've cried, I was so bored.
  • Options
    Best of luck Kaff
  • Options
    I'd rather have it and the charges than nothing and no charges, don't get me wrong. They are fair and provide free TV to children as well.

Most of it is very expensive though- the games (addictive to kids) are 50p a shot, and don't last long, the phone calls out are expensive, and so is adult TV and internet.

As I say, I'm glad its there, but the charges of Patientline are very steep.

Hope it all goes well Kaff. Keep us posted off the patientline;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    adult TV
    I've never managed to get that on a patientline telly.
  • Options
    Hospital i work in has nothin! Maybe a patient room with the smallest portible tv they could find!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I've never managed to get that on a patientline telly.

:p

I quite liked Ben Dover Does Anal IV.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They are fair and provide free TV to children as well.

But most of what's on during the day is crap...

When I went into hospital last year, I ended up bringing loads of stuff to, but didn't really use any of it because I was asleep nearly all the time. (combination of being being woken every 4 hours or so and the anesthetic from the operation I had)