Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If you had the power, how would you change the government?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just what it says in the title. :)

Comments

• Options
    Ban whipping in parliament. A free vote on every Bill.

The Lords would be apolitical and members of the second chamber would be elected locally, but would not represent the issues of individual constituents.

Important announcements would be made to parliament before the press.

If any newspaper published a false story (on any matter), a front page retraction and correction would be compulsory.
  • Options
    If any newspaper published a false story (on any matter), a front page retraction and correction would be compulsory.

I like this, it's a good idea, imho. Maybe have them give equal coverage to the retraction and apology as to the original story?
  • Options
    Knock it all down and start again.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

umm - the government doesn't exist......

I learnt that from you not 5 minutes ago

:eek:
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

how can you change something that dosnt exsist ?
  • Options
    umm - the government doesn't exist......

I learnt that from you not 5 minutes ago

:eek:

Dam you beat me to it
  • Options
    how can you change something that dosnt exsist ?

Given that you lot believe in it, I was just asking the question. It puzzles me what you get out of the belief, you see. Faith in God I can understand, the world can be a pretty shitty place and some kind of certainty and hope goes a loooong way sometimes.

So, in seeing what you would change I maybe get an idea of why you believe nonsense. :)
  • Options
    I don't believe Klintock exists, but is in fact a computer programme which has gone wrong and randomly posts gibberish over the net
  • Options
    Probably true, NQA.

Thanks for posting.

No questions asked?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Knock it all down and start again.

I can agree with thee there. Needs a ground up change... but I daresay we'd disagree on how. ;)

NQA :thumb:
  • Options
    Make the country a dictatorsjip with me as the supreme emperor and appointed to the title of "living God" on earth!

But only because i am a total ego maniac!
  • Options
    more democracy. I like democracy best. local, more direct, more consultative.
  • Options
    No! Less democracy! Less!
  • Options
    - I'd end privitisation of public transport.
    - More facilities for the homeless (and their dogs)
    - MP's would get paid less
    - In fact wages would be completely different, I'd aim to narrow the poverty gap
    - A National Curriculum that includes more LGBT and cultural information
    - Ban fucking Starbucks
    - End third world debt
  • Options
    End all corporate finance of, access too and control over the electoral and legislative processes (eradication of all corporate lobbying);

End the categorisation of "personhood" for corporations;

End career politics and make representation a civic duty of all Citizens for a fixed period, after which they would be assured a return to their former professions;

End the fraud of "national security" as a smokescreen for denying accountability for misdeeds and abuses of office;

Withdraw all US troops from all foreign bases and limit the military to that sufficient only to defend US soil itself as intended by our founders;

Reduce Federal Govt remit to that of interstate and international commerce, defence of the nation, control of national currency (end the Fed and private banking control/minting/speculation of US currency and coinage), and court of final appeal for possible abuses of citizens by state govt; (all other powers devolved back to the states themselves)

Eliminate multilateral organisations aimed at perpetuating developing nation debt such as the World Bank and IMF;

Review all records of prior Presidencies and bring every last official having served them to stand trial for betrayals of the US constitution, war crimes, aiding and abetting corporate corruption and crimes against humanity to which any have been party in any degree;

Eliminate laws intended to criminalise citizens for non violent and victimless "offences" (insofar as they are not offences at all);

Redirect obscene over allocation of national budgets to the support for entrepreneurial small business and alternative energy and away from any form of welfare to multinational corporations, the military industrial complex and the oil/gas industry;

Expose all crimes committed by the CIA/Mossad and other covert agencies for which records could be unearthed and send those (still living) to stand trial in the countries in which their crimes were carried out;

End tax exempt status for all religious institutions and groups attempting to subvert the principles of pluralistic secular society to impose a collective religious agenda on the nation;

End corporate control of all press and media outlets and restore investigative reporting and transparency as the means of keeping the publci fully informed of the goings on of its future leaders;

.... get assassinated by any number of elite interests threatened by my radical dismantling of their current privilege...

Fade into the history books ;-)
  • Options
    Clandestine has it sussed!
  • Options
    - Abolish all fees for higher education. Education is a right, not a privilege.

- Reduce the number of universities as there are a lot of completely token institutions which accomplish nothing at all where the degrees they give are not worth the paper they're printed on. If not abolish them completely, integrate them with other institutions.

- Relax all the anti-smoking laws. Antisocial and dangerous it may be but it brings in too much money to be shunted out of the way as it is.

- Withdraw all British troops from Iraq

- Change the national curriculum so that instead of kids learning French as their first foreign language, they learn Spanish. Not only are there 400 million + Spanish speakers in the world, it's an easier language to learn, or at least it's a lot quicker to learn. That way, maybe we can become more open as regards foreign languages and not just assume that everyone speaks English.

- Make GCSEs and A-Levels harder. No-one actually believes that the year-on-year increase in A and A* grades is down to better teaching and better pupils do they? To make this possible ->

- Increase teachers' pay. These are the most important people, bar the parents, in a kid's life. They are largely responsible with the kid's formation and the way in which the kid views the world. Teachers get such a hard time and it's really not fair.

- Much stricted prison sentences for violent crimes. The justice system at the moment is a joke when muggers get 2 years or less for beating people up. It's shocking.

- Prison standards to increase but facilities to be cut. They're in prison as a punishment but the reality is that most of them have a better life inside than they do outside.

- Much stricter controls and penealties on ex-national companies ie. gas, water, railroads etc.

- Keep the NHS public and free but massive crackdowns on health tourists.

- Make immigration tighter. I don't object to people seeking asylum but tighter controls are needed. We are a very over-populated little island so something has to be done.

- Compulsorary rock music classes in all state schools

- Change the words 'cheese', 'marrow' and 'bicycle' to Joe (me).

Ok the last two are just pipe dreams.
  • Options
    Don't quite grasp the last one, Joe. :confused:
  • Options
    I would...
    -Rebuild British Industry.
    -Rebuild our Armed Forces.
    -Pull out of the 'War Of Terror'
    -Get furthur into Europe, threaten to invade France if they don't ditch the CAP.
    -Enforce fucking Anti Social Laws like a Nazi.
    -Burn speed Cameras, and bring back Traffic Police to replace them.
    -Reform the Legal System ground upwards.
    - "" Education System
    -Liberate the American people from an evil system and despotic, torturous leader.
    -Increase Pay for important but low paid jobs, decrese it for not so important but stupidly overpaid jobs. Until we get a very close balance.
    -Sort out the fucking taxes...
    -Build/Reopen Prisons to sort out overcrowding.
    -Fix Immigration - we DO have a problem. Let's face it, we do. The fact ANY fraudsters get in is bad. And send the gits home. If you work, welcome here. If you bum off the state, fuck off. Gose for native Brits to - WORK! Unless you have a genuine reason not to.
    -Take back Public Transport, and fully nationalise the NHS too, again.
    -Kill pointless governmental positions and organisations - waste of cash.
    -Build a 50 story statue of me. With Laser eyes.
  • Options
    Last one.. nice touch! lol.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    -Get furthur into Europe, threaten to invade France if they don't ditch the CAP.

Er, but then they might ditch CAP - couldn't we just invade them anyway? :thumb:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Er, but then they might ditch CAP - couldn't we just invade them anyway? :thumb:
    Oh, go on then, Rape and Pillage it is. Just like the old days!
  • Options
    Don't quite grasp the last one, Joe. :confused:

The President of Turkmenistan did it though I'm not quite sure which words he changed to be the same as his name but I know he did it with some common words. That and he's made himself President for life. What a dude.
  • Options
    resurect guyfawkes ...everyone deserves a second chance.
  • Options
    It's heartening to see that we have no believers in democracy. :thumb:
  • Options
    I stand by my original statement, to make myself proclaimed a living God!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    It's heartening to see that we have no believers in democracy. :thumb:

Democracy is bullshit once executed in the real world, sadly. As those you empower, abuse it.

However, you should empower me. In a honest chappy, i'll be great. C'mon, what you got to lose?!
  • Options
    Actually, true democracy is one of the best ways of governance. Though you need a place with a small population for it to work. Our way of democracy is to elect representatives, thing is, we vote for personalities or what your family or area votes for, not many people actually have a clue what they're voting for like.
  • Options
    Pensioners To Get Free Opium ...as Much They Want.
  • Options
    Pensioners To Get Free Opium ...as Much They Want.

Just cos you're nearly there ;)