Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a job, going on New Deal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need some advice please.

The situation is this. Last Monday i walked into the jobcentre where i normally sign on and handed in the little part of the JSA booklet that you fill in when you get a job. ( I ticked the box that stated i thought the job wouldnt last more than 5 weeks, part is not explained so was not sure wether or not to tick it but as it is xmas i thought it best to tick it ).

Last tuesday was my signing on day but of course i started my new job that day and had handed in my signing off slip so i felt i was safe in the knowledge they would sort it all out themselves as they have stated in the past.

Today i received a letter telling me that i have been put onto New Deal and i now have my own personal adviser ( which any other time would be great because the jobcentre is a pile of pish - Dont get me started on Jobcentre bashing! ) Ok so this is where i'm stumped now. Why am i being put onto ND? I know that i havent received my 2 weeks money because i didnt sign on but i expected that they would have had it sorted out by now and i still havent received any kind of money and i need it to, well live. Need moey to get by.

At the end of the letter i have it states " Please note, however, that to maintain your jobseekers Allowance you should continue to attend the jobcentre plus office as required on your ES40 booklet " ..... Which i cannot do because i am now working, i notified them i am working and its hardly my fault if i dont turn up because im working and told them so and they still expect me to turn up.

Let me just stress that i am calling them tomorrow to speak with someone who will hopefully know what is going on and who can sort it out.

Just need some advice on this though before hand? Thanks :)

P.S. This is the kind of reason i HATE the jobcentre, they just cannot get ANYTHING right. They are a fucking joke. And dont start on me for having this opinion, this is down the the experience i have had with them over the last 4 years. In fact there have been times when i've gone to the jobcentre and had to tell THEM what to do etc. Pile of pish, really is.

and one last thing on this point. In the years i have been dealing with the jobcentre, couple of different ones that is not just the one i had been going to recently, not one of thm ever actually helped me get a job i got them all myself. Tell me, what is the point in a job centre again, because it certainly isnt trying to help you find work. I've neve rbeen successful with them, more without them!

aaaaaand breathe :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Richeh wrote:
    I need some advice please.

The situation is this. Last Monday i walked into the jobcentre where i normally sign on and handed in the little part of the JSA booklet that you fill in when you get a job. ( I ticked the box that stated i thought the job wouldnt last more than 5 weeks, part is not explained so was not sure wether or not to tick it but as it is xmas i thought it best to tick it ).

Last tuesday was my signing on day but of course i started my new job that day and had handed in my signing off slip so i felt i was safe in the knowledge they would sort it all out themselves as they have stated in the past.

Today i received a letter telling me that i have been put onto New Deal and i now have my own personal adviser ( which any other time would be great because the jobcentre is a pile of pish - Dont get me started on Jobcentre bashing! ) Ok so this is where i'm stumped now. Why am i being put onto ND? I know that i havent received my 2 weeks money because i didnt sign on but i expected that they would have had it sorted out by now and i still havent received any kind of mon

ey and i need it to, well live. Need moey to get by.

At the end of the letter i have it states " Please note, however, that to maintain your jobseekers Allowance you should continue to attend the jobcentre plus office as required on your ES40 booklet " ..... Which i cannot do because i am now working, i notified them i am working and its hardly my fault if i dont turn up because im working and told them so and they still expect me to turn up.

Let me just stress that i am calling them tomorrow to speak with someone who will hopefully know what is going on and who can sort it out.

Just need some advice on this though before hand? Thanks :)

P.S. This is the kind of reason i HATE the jobcentre, they just cannot get ANYTHING right. They are a fucking joke. And dont start on me for having this opinion, this is down the the experience i have had with them over the last 4 years. In fact there have been times when i've gone to the jobcentre and had to tell THEM what to do etc. Pile of pish, really is.

and one last thing on this point. In the years i have been dealing with the jobcentre, couple of different ones that is not just the one i had been going to recently, not one of thm ever actually helped me get a job i got them all myself. Tell me, what is the point in a job centre again, because it certainly isnt trying to help you find work. I've neve rbeen successful with them, more without them!

aaaaaand breathe :D

If you weren't jobcentre bashing I would have been very nice and told exactly who to ask for when you ring and what to say , and explained anything else, because I actually like to help people , as do the majority of my colleagues. I can't speak for other jobcentres however. But as you weren't too nice all I can say is go boil your head mate, I'VE had enough of all the complaining. I work very hard to help my customers and don't believe I work in the only jobcentre in the country with staff that care about the service they provide!
    lol
    It sounds like 'human error' or cock-up to me from what you've described. Due to staff shortages (see several other threads), work on claims isn't always actioned as quickly as it should be.

It sounds like your New Deal letter was sent out by the New Deal admin person before the section who took your signing book from you had closed your claim.

I know that sounds like a shit excuse, but it really isn't the staff's fault that they can't be in two places at once. What tends to happen is this - the person in charge of closing claims down has had to go and work on the signing section because someone is off sick. When push comes to shove, managers will put staff into public-facing roles and other jobs in the office suffer.

I'm not saying mistakes aren't made by jobcentre staff, they're only human at the end of the day. It just sounds more likely that the team that deals with sign-offs has been given more pressing duties to deal with.
    peachy69 wrote:
    If you weren't jobcentre bashing I would have been very nice and told exactly who to ask for when you ring and what to say , and explained anything else, because I actually like to help people , as do the majority of my colleagues. I can't speak for other jobcentres however. But as you weren't too nice all I can say is go boil your head mate, I'VE had enough of all the complaining. I work very hard to help my customers and don't believe I work in the only jobcentre in the country with staff that care about the service they provide!

How was that post in any way helpful?

And Richeh-have you changed your name?

yes but shhh :p
    peachy69 wrote:
    Why do you take everything so personally? I work for the NHS but still see its failings. He was only commenting on his own experiences.
    Richeh, I wouldn't worry. Just ignore that ND letter - I had one a couple of weeks ago, and didn't attend - nothing's happened about it either.
    And because you've signed off - the ball is in their court and it's their responsibility to make sure you're signed off officially.

All you can do is tell the person on the phone at the JC about your claim and what you've done, and let them sort it out!

Ilora x
    peachy69 wrote:
    go boil your head mate, I'VE had enough of all the complaining.

*yawn*

Another helpful post from the DWP's resident psychopath.
    Thanks for the helpful posts guys and girls.

I found out what happened though, and it only served to prove me right further that the jobcentre i go to are completely incompetent.

Apparently the person i gave my signing off slip to, didnt put it through to be processed so the jobcentre closed my claim and put " closed due to not turning up to sign on ", this because the person was so stupid as to not hand in my sign off slip. We have been given the managers name of the jobcentre and told to write him a letter explaining what happened and that i now have a job. I'm serioiusly considering complaining. We caught the guy out on the phone a number of times with his bullshit as well. The fact is the woman did not put through my signing off slip so they thought i just had not bothered to turn up so closed my claim, meaning also that i lost out of money i was due.

Peachy69, you can whinge all you like that you are fed up with people like me moaning about the jobcentre, i dont care, we are all entitled to our opinions. But yet again i have been proved right the the jobcentre ( and not neccessarily them all ) are totally incompetent.

Oh and btw, the guy on the phone said to us that even though i had handed in a slip signing off, i should have still gone to sign on, we told him that was a bunch of crap because i started working on the day i was due to sign on and obviously i could not have done so, which he agreed with.

I'm due money from them for a start, which i need becaus ei have no money to get through xmas as i wont be paid till the end of the month and that will be VERY little as started only days before the cut off at work. They also put me down as not turning up which is nonsense and im not putting up with that kind of rubbish.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks again :)
    EDN1 wrote:
    i have no money to get through xmas as i wont be paid till the end of the month and that will be VERY little as started only days before the cut off at work.
    Omg, I know what you mean - I've just signed off at the JC and started as a christmas temp, but missed the cut off by 2 days, so I'll be uber moneyless for the whole of christmas til the end of January :grump:

Ilora x
    I resigned myself to the fact i wouldnt get any money from a job i got but i had thought tha ti would get by with money from the jobcentre, how wrong was i eh.

haha thats what I thought too, but I wasn't sure.

Maria you are quite a detective :p
    Kermit wrote:
    *yawn*

Another helpful post from the DWP's resident psychopath.

yeh but at least psychopaths are obviously not huggable, could be worse