Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Website down next Tuesday

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:grump: Just to let everyone know our servers are being moved next Tuesday, which means that the website is going to be down for about half a day to a day, sorry nothing we can do about this, everyone is just to have to grin and bear it. :yeees:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Good timing, I'm travelling home next Tuesday, so I won't really miss it going down, as I be too busy catching up with friends and family.
    Oh christ whatever will I do :(
    GoodFella wrote:
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    I concur.
    Kentish wrote:
    I concur.

and so do I.

No post-whoring :(.
    This is an excuse for me to get some work done...
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    This is an excuse for me to get some work done...

Work? What's that?!? :p

I have been closing my eyes, hoping it will go away, but it hasn't :(
    That's the day I go back to work in the Co-op. For 9 hours, boo hoo :(
    I shall be working anyway.
    Oh my god. How will we all cope!
    :crying: i'll be stuck in work, what shall i do? :crying::crying::crying::crying:
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    :crying: i'll be stuck in work, what shall i do? :crying::crying::crying::crying:

Do some work? :thumb:
    but i don't wanna!!! :(
    Jim V wrote:
    :grump: Just to let everyone know our servers are being moved next Tuesday, which means that the website is going to be down for about half a day to a day, sorry nothing we can do about this, everyone is just to have to grin and bear it. :yeees:
    I'm not technologically minded, so bear with me here. But what does moving the server actually mean? Are you literally moving it physically or is it a technical term?
    i am technically minded, and it realy could mean either
    I imagine it means that the physical server will be disconnected, and moved either somewhere else in the data centre, or to a different centre. OR, it means they've got a new server, and they're "moving" the data from the old server, to the new server
    Yep our hosters are going to be physically picking up the server, walking down a hall and moving it into a different room, though they are moving 100's hence how long the downtime might be.
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    ...not go on thesite as you'll be working and it'll be down anyway?
    Nice one, the day I finish college and come home uberearly ;(. GHEY.
  • Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Jim V wrote:
    Yep our hosters are going to be physically picking up the server, walking down a hall and moving it into a different room, though they are moving 100's hence how long the downtime might be.

Without going into too much detail, the servers are going to be moved not quite like Jim mentioned but will be placed in another rack within the same room. However, they will be installed on a central UPS giving higher availability to all thesite.org users. This is a good thing. The downtime is expected to be about 8 hours due to the sheer amounts that have to be moved. More info as I get it.
    I can't see why it would be down for more than half an hour.

shutdown, disconnect, slide out, remove from rails. -3 minutes

remove rails - 5 mins.

install rails in new rack. - 15 mins

drop into rails, slide in, reconnect, reboot - 5 mins.
  • Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert

remove rails - 5 mins.

One would think that - but considering this place also hosts about 50 other charitable organisations, which are all being moved at the same time - I can understand. The logistics aren't mine to work out - just to accept.
    Ah - "We give you a special deal, so don't whinge when we do things in as cost effective manner as possible"

I just hope you're not paying more than 3K/year

remove rails - 5 mins.

Yeah, for one box maybe. If it goes perfectly.

Plus some machines these days take up to twenty minutes to power down and come back up.

Plus they have to repatch loads of stuff by the sounds of it, which is probably sitting in a spaghetti behind the racks.

Then around 3% of the machines won't come back on at all.

So, given it all, 8 hours is probably optimistic ;)
    Mist wrote:
    Yeah, for one box maybe. If it goes perfectly. Plus some machines these days take up to twenty minutes to power down and come back up. Plus they have to repatch loads of stuff by the sounds of it, which is probably sitting in a spaghetti behind the racks. Then around 3% of the machines won't come back on at all. So, given it all, 8 hours is probably optimistic ;)
    Does that mean Jim V is going to spend most of tomorrow moving machines around the building, with Dom shouting orders?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Does that mean Jim V is going to spend most of tomorrow moving machines around the building, with Dom shouting orders?
    Unlikely.
    Never complain about scheduled downtime - at least you have prior notice. Going by the book a server move should take 20 minutes or so - but in the real world, it doesn't happen like that. Especially if you start playing about with replacing routers and switches - each will need configuring, and there is a chance all boxes will need different IP addresses allocating. If they do, then the bulk of the downtime will be down to waiting for DNS servers to refresh - and 24 hours would be realistic :).

Unscheduled downtime is another matter. It drives me bonkers :).
    Mist wrote:
    Yeah, for one box maybe. If it goes perfectly.
    I admit I don't know how many boxes the site forums run on, We normally run forums front ends on the same box as the backend, but if there was a split, the forum would be down for 2x 20 minutes
    Plus some machines these days take up to twenty minutes to power down and come back up.
    That's a busy machine. I'd be alarmed if a controlled shutdown took longer than a minute, and a startup after a controlled shutdown took more than 5.
    Plus they have to repatch loads of stuff by the sounds of it, which is probably sitting in a spaghetti behind the racks.
    You prepare the new location before moving the machine, and clean up the old once it has been moved.
    Then around 3% of the machines won't come back on at all.

So, given it all, 8 hours is probably optimistic ;)
    Yes, a computer is most vulnerable when it is being turned on.

For moving a whole rack we would warn our customers that their servers would be likely to be down for up to half an hour between 11pm and 7 am; our target downtime would be 10 minutes for each server.
    i wonder when its going to go down
    I doubt they'd be up at this time to do it, Jim V isn't a Vampire.