Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Routers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a new router that is also equiped with modem and firewall. I'd like something that supports dynDNS services like No-IP and the likes. Willing to pay up to 100 quid.

Comments

• Options
    mm, dont want to hijack the thread but on the subject of routers, im looking for one under 100 thatll just let me use tinternet on a seperate computer.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
  • Options
    ADSL I take it?

The netgear DG834 is a pretty good router and can support dynDNS services I believe. Got one at home, no probs at all with it.

Look on http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk, they have a pretty good selection, might not be the cheapest though.
  • Options
    www.aria.co.uk

have some cheap price and run some good deals in super specials part of the site, i built my computer from there for 600 quid (not finished yet)

p.s. not really all that helpful but thought I'd offer you another alternative
  • Options
    If you use, or are planning on using Wireless, get this:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DG834PN

It's utterly utterly awesome. and it has flashing LED's.

Before i had black-spots all over the house, in the kitchen, in the toilet (don't ask) but now it gets excellent signal everywhere, and very good signal out in the street in my car.

Of course if you don't plan on using wireless, then don't bother :)

edit: oh yes and it supports dynDNS etc... dsl-warehouse are brill price-wise.
  • Options
    That Netgear one looks nice I think I might actually order that soon. Cheers.

P.S. I was actually looking for a wireless router so cheers.
  • Options
    No problems! I also bought the netgear SC101 and over half a tb of drives. So now my laptop has 600gig of storage :D
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    No problems! I also bought the netgear SC101 and over half a tb of drives. So now my laptop has 600gig of storage :D

Interesting. I was actually looking at network backup devices today.

How does the Netgear SC101 work?
  • Options
    It's just a caddy, you can fit 2 IDE drives into it, and connect it to the network. Then you install software on the client PC(s) and the drive gets mounted and looks and acts just like a local disc. It's quite good but only works with windows machines, and the raid (disc mirroring) implementation isn't terribly good.

I'm quite enjoying using it at the moment though!
  • Options
    Rich-E wrote:
    ADSL I take it?

The netgear DG834 is a pretty good router and can support dynDNS services I believe. Got one at home, no probs at all with it.

Look on http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk, they have a pretty good selection, might not be the cheapest though.

I have the Netgear DG34G which is good but the dynDNS service is pretty rubbish I think - they keep emailing me with their problems - this is down that is down, etc.

If I was getting a new router I'd also look at one that perhaps you can connect a normal house telephone to and make cheap / free calls over the internet with
  • Options
    BTW I got mine for half price at PCworld last boxing day so you might want to wait another 11 days and see if they have a similar offer - was certainly cheaper then ordering online at that price.
  • Options
    If I was getting a new router I'd also look at one that perhaps you can connect a normal house telephone to and make cheap / free calls over the internet with

If you got a voip router you'd still need a service supplier at the internet side, I'm with Vonage and they sent me a free voip router :))
  • Options
    I have the Netgear DG34G which is good but the dynDNS service is pretty rubbish I think - they keep emailing me with their problems - this is down that is down, etc.
    Ah yeah, I remember I had it switched on once, and there was something about the amount of times it tried to update the IP address on their servers, which they constantly emailed me about. Maybe they've fixed those problems by now? :confused:
  • Options

What is support a dynDNS service? What about adding IPs to block?
  • Options
    What is support a dynDNS service? What about adding IPs to block?

erm it has a menu to block all tcp/ip traffic from certain ip address

donno bout dynDNS :s