Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

God Bless America

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Malaysia? Taiwan? Singapore? South Korea? UAE? Israel? Japan?
  • Options
    Actually Amnesty are wrong about the UK - the death penatly, as far as I'm aware, still exists for high treason, regicide and arson at the Queen's dockyards. Strange but still true.

nope was removed also
  • Options
    Actually Amnesty are wrong about the UK - the death penatly, as far as I'm aware, still exists for high treason, regicide and arson at the Queen's dockyards. Strange but still true.
    I think they closed that loophole or quirk in the law not so long ago. So we can't hang traitors anymore.
    The frightening thing about that list is that every nation on there is either a 3rd world country or a developing country except, you've guessed it, the United States.
    But how many of those listed actually use it?
  • Options
    I think they stopped treason in 1999.
  • Options
    According to the Amnesty site, the last execution in the UK took place in 1964.
  • Options
    When we signed up to the EU treaty on human rights we had to get rid of the last reason for the death penalty which was high treason.

Arson in dockyards was removed way back in the 70's.

I should point out that Japan is on that list, they are relatively civilised.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I should point out that Japan is on that list, they are relatively civilised.

I noticed that myself, probably the most civilised country in the world actually.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I noticed that myself, probably the most civilised country in the world actually.

Except of course they dont really have democracy and their suicide rate is really high. Its a very mixed up country.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Except of course they dont really have democracy and their suicide rate is really high. Its a very mixed up country.

Their crime rate is really low though. That's what I meant by civilised.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    If they have the death penalty then they cannot be regarded as very civilised, no. Ditto the US.
  • Options
    Their crime rate is really low though. That's what I meant by civilised

Except when one actually considers the pervasive influence and activities of the Yakuza throughout Japanese society and industry (extending its reach into all of Japan's foreign markets).

That it happens to be an accepted status quo makes it no less a criminally complicity social structure.
  • Options
    Except when one actually considers the pervasive influence and activities of the Yakuza throughout Japanese society and industry (extending its reach into all of Japan's foreign markets).

But they just default on loans and do white collar crime, they arent real criminals.

Whats Japan's bad debt these days? Trillions of Yen isnt it?
  • Options
    Kingpins of racketeering, extortion, prostitution, drugs...etc.

Im curious as to precisely what your definition of "real criminals" might be?
  • Options
    Kingpins of racketeering, extortion, prostitution, drugs...etc.

Im curious as to precisely what your definition of "real criminals" might be?

I wasnt being entirely serious, it is quite a different set up though compared to other Western countries.
  • Options
    to reiterate my previous comment: that it has incorporated itself into the fabric of Japanese society and industry makes it no less a criminally complicit (and crime-ridden) social structure.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:

Singapore executes, on average, 40 people a year, more than any other country in the world - civilised?
    The UAE still has public beheadings - civilised?
    Taiwan/Malaysia - civilised?

Granted, I did overlook Japan but I can't find anything about when their last execution was so I can't back it up or refute it.

Israel is I guess a developed country but human rights abuses tend to put that affirmation in some doubt.
  • Options
    Singapore executes, on average, 40 people a year, more than any other country in the world - civilised?

Granted, I did overlook Japan but I can't find anything about when their last execution was so I can't back it up or refute it.

Israel is I guess a developed country but human rights abuses tend to put that affirmation in some doubt.

Israel doesn't have the death penalty. It's only ever executed one person; Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann. I won't even respond to the last sentence of your post.
  • Options
    all nations who claim to be civilised, democratic, and defenders of human rights, as opposed to ones that routinely carry out torture and human rights abuses. if there aren't any, then it puts the US is some pretty dubious company.

Are you saying that England pre 1964 was not civilised because we had the death penalty? We were the architects of modern civilisation.
  • Options
    Are you saying that England pre 1964 was not civilised because we had the death penalty? We were the architects of modern civilisation.

:lol:

You're really pushing it there.

Civilisation began with the Sumerians and people like that. England is merely a link in the chain.
  • Options

What living-in-a-bush-o'meter scale did you use to form those opinions?
  • Options
    Israel doesn't have the death penalty.

Israel isnt even listed under the "defacto ban of executions". Only for non-normal crimes. hah.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    :lol:

You're really pushing it there.

Civilisation began with the Sumerians and people like that. England is merely a link in the chain.

The emphasis should be on my former statement; the second is an undeniable historical fact. I want someone to explain how England was not civilised until 1964 because we had the death penalty.
  • Options
    The emphasis should be on my former statement; the second is an undeniable historical fact. I want someone to explain how England was not civilised until 1964 because we had the death penalty.
    for once mister slipp7y i'm in some agreement with you.

everywhere had the death penalty at one time ...and yes england and its empire are responsible for modern times and politics to a very large degree.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

China?
  • Options

We were the architects of what?

:confused:

Me thinks theres one enormous racist assumption running through this little debate.

I agree with what Gandhi said when asked what he thought of "western civilisation"

:yes:
  • Options
    Me thinks theres one enormous racist assumption running through this little debate.

No, you convince yourself that racism is at work because it makes it easier to deal with my views. Just like an Elton John fan that calls you a homophobe if you think his music is crap, or a woman who screams "sexist" should you dare disagree with her. I am often told I just want to chain women to the kitchen sink, as always such witless rhetoric is a substitute for real debate.
  • Options
    No, you convince yourself that racism is at work because it makes it easier to deal with my views. Just like an Elton John fan that calls you a homophobe if you think his music is crap, or a woman who screams "sexist" should you dare disagree with her. I am often told I just want to chain women to the kitchen sink, as always such witless rhetoric is a substitute for real debate.

No, I think the suggestion that so called 'western civilisation' is superior to other cultures is highly problematic.

"Western civilisation" has caused plenty of deaths and much starvation. If you're not suggesting that "modern civilisation" (ala white british stylee) is superior to other cultures, what are you saying?

• Options
    No, I think the suggestion that so called 'western civilisation' is superior to other cultures is highly problematic.

"Western civilisation" has caused plenty of deaths and much starvation. If you're not suggesting that "modern civilisation" (ala white british stylee) is superior to other cultures, what are you saying?

I have said or hinted at nothing you have just claimed. Making things up as you go along are we? Do that alot?
  • Options
    ...as in england being the architect of modern western democracy.
    we all know the terms are debatable but the relaity is ...yes england is responsible for much ...both good and bad.
    or that just denies history.
  • Options
    I have said or hinted at nothing you have just claimed. Making things up as you go along are we? Do that alot?

So, what are you saying? What is it that we are the architects of?

Do you avoid direct questions often?