Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christened

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If I were to get christened what would that mean?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    baptized. its church stuff.
    its entering inote a church/religion. if you get christened a catholic you get to choose a new name!
    lea_uk wrote:
    that your religous status would have been decided for you before you had any say in the matter.
    along with that usualy goes religous belief to a degree ...ask the proddies and the catholics why they defend their religions and why tthey believe what they do.
    they have been indoctrinted as children.
    it's a form of child abuse.

similar to baptism.
    It would mean you could have a massive piss-up with your family and friends with a reason.

That's all christenings seem to be these days. I'm not christened, and proud of it.
    I got christened when I was a baby but don't really have a clue what it means tbh, I'm hardly religious..

I just know that if you get christened you have a middle name.
    When I think of being Christened (and the advantages of) I'm always reminded of the old yarn our Sunday School teacher used to spin; that babies who die without having been baptised go to Limbo. So it was always considered important to be Christened asap, in ye olde days, where infant mortality was all-together a more common occurence.

I don't see the relevance of it now anyway, except if you're a Church-goer it's basically your official "welcome" into the Church and the faith. My family on my mother's side is staunchly Catholic, and I was christened as a baby (which I don't consider child abuse, by the way). However if the decision hadn't been made for me, I'm can't say for sure I would've decided the same way.

eta: As far as babies are concerned, it's becoming more and more popular now to have non-denominational "Naming Ceremonies". Which is what my niece had in the summer. As neither of her parents are religious, it seemed hypocritical to have a "Christening" into a Church/Parish they'd only joined so their daughter could have her ceremony there. Beautiful ceremony it was, too, and a lot more involving than any of the (many) Christenings I've been to.
    I thought you had like a "church" name. Which pretty much has no point or meaning. My middle name is my legal middle name, as is everybody elses I know. But like mysitfulsoul said, I was also baptized as a baby, didin't know really and am not religious.
    my name i got when i was christened is my legal middle name. at christening you can also legally change the babies first name even if the child has been registered!
    I guess baptizing is different than christening.
    my_name wrote:
    I thought you had like a "church" name. Which pretty much has no point or meaning. My middle name is my legal middle name, as is everybody elses I know. But like mysitfulsoul said, I was also baptized as a baby, didin't know really and am not religious.

It's usually at (around) age 13 in the Catholic Church, that you chose an additional middle name (usually that of a Saint) during Confirmation. My legal middle name is Mary, which I've had since birth and was obviously baptised with (although it wasn't "given" during the Christening ceremony). When I confirmed I chose Rose, though it's not on any legal document and I would never normally include it on any forms/written documents.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant, though.
    briggi wrote:
    It's usually at age 13 in the Catholic Church, that you chose an additional middle name (usually that of a Saint) during Confirmation. My legal middle name is Mary, which I've had since birth and was obviously baptised with (although it wasn't "given" during the Christening ceremony). When I confirmed I chose Rose, though it's not on any legal document and I would never normally include it on any forms/written documents.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant, though.

Oh wow. How different! I was born and raised Catholic. Baptized when I was about a month. Around the age of 12 or so you went thru your first communion. It wasn't until your Senior year in highschool (17 or 18ish) when you became confirmed. You had to take religion classes to get all of that. I finally convinced my parents to let me quit a year before I was confirmed. Come to think of it, no "names" are given for baptizing, but its when you become confirmed when you can choose one.
    my_name wrote:
    Oh wow. How different! I was born and raised Catholic. Baptized when I was about a month. Around the age of 12 or so you went thru your first communion. It wasn't until your Senior year in highschool (17 or 18ish) when you became confirmed. You had to take religion classes to get all of that. I finally convinced my parents to let me quit a year before I was confirmed. Come to think of it, no "names" are given for baptizing, but its when you become confirmed when you can choose one.

You learn something new every day :)

I had my First Holy Communion when I was 7, and it was all about the dress (you know the type; white, frilly, angelic-looking) and the little white bible some relative would undoubtedly give you. For Confirmation at 13 we had to take "classes" (although I don't remember learning much) but we spent most of those discussing what our Confirmation names were going to be - my best friend chose "Emmanuelle" which all the Grandmothers thought was as classy as we thought it hilariously rude ;)
    I'm not christened and I have a middle name!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    IF you don't get Cristened you get stuck in limbo!

But then, they are doing away with it. So fuck knows where you go.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But then, they are doing away with it.

what, being christened or limbo?
    my_name wrote:
    I guess baptizing is different than christening.
    baptism is the bible version.
    christening is the church version.
    the bible version is where an adult decides to dedicate his/her life to god by being fully immersed in water.

the church version ...is splash some water on the babies head and claim it as a protestant or catholic before it can make up its own mind.
    i much prefer the naming ceromonies myself.

none of my children are baptised ...even after my father trying to bribe me with cash at the birth of each of them.
    the crazy thing about him trying to bribe me into it ...was he was a friggin atheist to the day he died.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    IF you don't get Cristened you get stuck in limbo!

But then, they are doing away with it. So fuck knows where you go.

Yeah, I read that the Pope is going to abolish the concept of Limbo. It hasn't been included in the Church's teaching for almost a decade though, apparently, so I was probably the last generation to be scared witless by the idea :p

Middle names are largely given legally, and have sweet fuck all to do with Christening/Baptismal Services. So don't fret, SHNT...I had my middle name long before I was attacked with the holy water ;)
    briggi wrote:
    Middle names are largely given legally, and have sweet fuck all to do with Christening/Baptismal Services. So don't fret, SHNT...I had my middle name long before I was attacked with the holy water ;)

I've never been attacked by the holy water either, eventhough my dad put me down as Church of England on the last cenus (and everyone since I was born.
    surely the pope cant just choose which bits of religion he wants! if its all supposed to be true, then surely he cant take bits out!
    briggi wrote:
    You learn something new every day :)

I had my First Holy Communion when I was 7, and it was all about the dress (you know the type; white, frilly, angelic-looking) and the little white bible some relative would undoubtedly give you. For Confirmation at 13 we had to take "classes" (although I don't remember learning much) but we spent most of those discussing what our Confirmation names were going to be - my best friend chose "Emmanuelle" which all the Grandmothers thought was as classy as we thought it hilariously rude ;)

I always get a little more culturally educated here ;)

And the dress :heart: My favorite part.
    surely the pope cant just choose which bits of religion he wants! if its all supposed to be true, then surely he cant take bits out!

There are a few other people involved in the decision :p But it supposedly marks bringing Catholicism into a new Millennium. Or something.

If you're interested.. ...
    to me that is just ridiculous! how can 30 people just change religion!i dont get it, they want everyone to believe, yet they're changing things, and if its all true, then you cant change facts!
    but seeing as limbo aint in the bible he shouldn't have taught it in the first place.
    now the popes have been sussed as false teachers/phrophets ...they are back tracking on many things.
    saints and praying to mary is apparently on the agenda to be chucked out as well.
    ...praying to mary is apparently on the agenda to be chucked out as well.

I don't know why they'd do that. I went to a convent school and we discussed this at length many times in double RE ;)

Mary herself isn't being prayed to/worshipped as a Goddess, the supposed idea is that these prayers and offerings to Mary are "To Jesus, through Mary".

Make of that what you will :yeees:

On the Limbo topic, I saw a vaguely amusing story in The Guardian a while back on the issue stating that "Babies are to be freed from Limbo" (paraphrasing...), as if the Church can suddenly open the floodgates and free all the trapped souls.
    lea_uk wrote:
    That you're gong to heaven.
    briggi wrote:
    I don't know why they'd do that. I went to a convent school and we discussed this at length many times in double RE ;)

Mary herself isn't being prayed to/worshipped as a Goddess, the supposed idea is that these prayers and offerings to Mary are "To Jesus, through Mary".

Make of that what you will :yeees:

On the Limbo topic, I saw a vaguely amusing story in The Guardian a while back on the issue stating that "Babies are to be freed from Limbo" (paraphrasing...), as if the Church can suddenly open the floodgates and free all the trapped souls.

when jesus taught people to pray ...he said the only way was through his name.

no virgins ...who went on to have many kids by the way ...no saints of plaster and wood etc.

who's the contraversial guy who they want to make a saint at the moment ....very dodgy reputATION ...

some catholics even wanted to make geldof a saint!
    imagine your grandchildren asking an old stoner to pass your prayers on to god!!!!!!!!
    That you're gong to heaven.
    it's a club in manchester that i bet your little bro has been to.

hows life outside wrexham then ...or is that a realy dumb question?
    im not having none of this! bring back the old pope!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    briggi wrote:
    So don't fret, SHNT...I had my middle name long before I was attacked with the holy water ;)

I love your choice of language there. :thumb: Quality.
    im not having none of this! bring back the old pope!
    :lol: