Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Here We Go Again...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I posted recently about problems with communication between my boyfriend and I. This has been totally sorted out. He couldn't make it to meet with me yesterday, but this was because of his work, and he told me how sorry and gutted he was. But because of this, he gets off work for Christmas early, meaning that our holidays over lap so we can see each other as much as possible. I appreciate this way of making things up to me.

But! My mum and my brother can't. My mum and my boyfriend used to get on really well, and because of family problems my boyfriend has, he'd often be over and able to have a heart to heart with my mum. His good friends and my brother's best friends are all the same, and so my brother and my boyfriend are both good friends. His other friends have forgiven him for the way he treated me because I have, but my brother hasn't. He gets on at me constantly about it. My mum says she's still very angry at my boyfriend for what he has done, and has even said that she's not sure that he's welcome in our home anymore.

Aren't they being unreasonable? Even if it is entirely understandable that they'd react in this way? I know it's just because they both care but fact is, if he's not welcome in our house...we've nowhere to go.

Comments

• Options
    well you have to understand their care, as far as they concerned he hurt you. you have to think how you'd feel if you had a daughter who had been hurt/messed around or whatever by her boyfriend and stayed with him. however, they ought to be adult enough to let you get on with your life and if necessary, make your own mistakes. how old are you?
  • Options
    I'm 18. And I understand that entirely.

But is there anything I can do to straighten things out?
  • Options
    i think your family need to give him a chance, people can and do change. but their reluctance to spend christmas day with him is understandable.
  • Options
    Time is a great healer.

If he's let you down in some way (I can't recall your other thread) then he will have to prove that he has changed and is sorry for what he is done. It's probably easier for him to convince you of that than to convince your mum and brother, so that's why they're wary. Give them a chance to see that you and him are happy together and they'll eventually come round I'm sure.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Time is a great healer.

If he's let you down in some way (I can't recall your other thread) then he will have to prove that he has changed and is sorry for what he is done. It's probably easier for him to convince you of that than to convince your mum and brother, so that's why they're wary. Give them a chance to see that you and him are happy together and they'll eventually come round I'm sure.

You are officially awesome.

Other thread: What Can I Do?