Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fat

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its a vicious circle you want to lose the weight but you feel bad about yourself so you confort eat.
    Suga80 wrote:
    My whole lifestyle changed. When I was bored I nipped to the gym for a couple of hours, which turned into 3-4times a week(i would take my headphones n listen 2my choons n it stopped me thinkin that people where starin-which they prob weren't) i bought loadsa fruit so wen i was bored a ate as much fruit as i wanted tons of it.
    It was really really hard. In fact the hardest thing i've ever done. but i feel fantastic bout it n really proud. I now know that i can go out n treat my self to some chocolate or a take away n i havn't failed myself.........!!!

Alot of people are very ignorant to how difficult it is to change ur whole life style in order to loose the weight.
    Many years ago I piled on the pounds too. One day I got sick of the weight too. Fed up. In about a year I lost over 50 lbs in weight. It took, as it did with you, a change in lifestyle. Excercise and a change in eating habbits.
    Fruit was my salvation too. At first I replaced all the junk with fruit. I allowed myself to eat as much fruit as I wished. It was sweet, and filling, but without the calories, fats, and processed sugars. I did allow myself of the treat of the equivelant of one chocolate bar a day though. But I never, ever kept chocolate and junk food in the house. If I wanted it, I had to go out and get it, make the effort to get it, or to stop for it on the way home. Often it was easier to just eat some more fruit, and the cravings would die down.
    Excercise.... Well, that almost happened by accident. The head gasket blew on the car. I needed transport, and work was only about two and a half miles away, so I bought a bicycle while I had the cylinder head skimmed, and worked on putting the car back together. So I had to cycle to work, every day! (though once the car was back on the road I cut that to about three days a week on average, and the occasional nipping down the shops).
    I've done a much more detailed posting on the whole thing ages ago. Can't be bothered to search for it right now.

Like you I also got to that one day where I realised I just didn't want to be one of those fat gross people, and felt unfit and awful. Very unhappy at the time. I just suddenly decided one day that that was that, and started looking after myself better. I didn't set a day, or target. It wasn't like "Oh, I'll start on Monday" or anything like that. It was just one day in the week, and I just started.

It isn't easy. It takes a bit of willpower, though not as much as you may think. I did go a little hungry at times, though never starving. If I was that hungry, I ate an apple or banana, or two.

This year I've put on a stone in weight again (15 lbs for those - ie Americans - who don't understand "stones"). I hate it. Xmas is coming up, which is a blow out time of the year, so I'll have to get back on the good diet/excercise wagon again in January.
    I've lapsed into giving into temptation again. I find it hard to say "no" to chocolate, etc. That's why I never keep it in the house.

Moving on to other people. My housemate's worrying me. They've always been (there's no easy way to put it) fat, obese even. But this year they've also put on weight. I suppose were a bad influence on eachother regarding junk food.
    They already get tired easily. Shopping on Sunday was a classic example. They were complaining about being tired, legs tired, feet hurting, back hurting, etc. And it's really down to being overweight. My legs were dragging a bit too, but that was mainly due to working all week, working on the car on Saturday, not getting a good sleep, and feeling tired and sleepy.
    I worry about their health too. Like me over the past year, they've been eating too much rubish. Too much fat and sugar. They eat far more than I do too. That's not good for you. Not one bit. I worry about the problems they may suffer from being obese, and the problems their heart may be suffering too. At this rate they're setting themselves up for poor health, and an early grave. :( As will I if I don't change my habbits back to the way they were a year ago. I'm not going to be fat again. I can live with a few extra pounds, a little squidge over the wasitband, but no more.
    I just can't figure out a way to politely get it across to them that I don't like to see them effectively killing themselves. :(

Anyway, enough waffle. :)
    I've had really low energy for the last 2 to 3 weeks and also been about that long since I went to the gym - ever since the clocks went back I've really hated going to the gym and coming home in the dark, which put me off going for weeks.

I really had to force myself to go to the gym today and was hard getting back into it but right now have so much more energy.. and I also made sure I took out a DVD movie from their library cos it has to be returned the next day, so it's an incentive to go back.
    I find the hardest thing is gettin to the gym once i'm there im fine!