Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Heartburn??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive never had this before and dont have any indigestion problems. Eat all sorts of stuff at any time of the day or night without any problems.
But last night got into bed and started getting an uncomfortable feeling at the bottom of my throat/top of chest. Got worse til it was agony. Sat up and had a drink of water but it hurt so bad, like burning feeling that kept building up.(hence why im assuming heartburn). Kept getting loads of saliva in my mouth, like when before you are sick.
Was so bad and i was so tired that i just sat there crying with dribble pouring out my mouth, was pretty grim!!!!

I know heartburn is quite common- surely people dont get like that often??

Comments

• Options
    If this was the first time, how is it "often"?

Info
  • Options
    Never said i get it often. I meant other people. Heartburn is common- so is that what other people put up with often?

thanx for the link.
  • Options
    Most people nip it in the bud with an antacid or something. But of course you should have a chit chat with your GP if the symptoms are troublesome and continue without relief from a Rennie.
  • Options
    I find that a couple of mints helps a lot if you don't have ready-access to a Rennie or similar. I sometimes get it when lying in bed, it tends to be if I've eaten something recently and then lie down.

I tend to sit up, have some water, give it a minute or so to wash down, then start sucking mints. If it doesn't clear I'll get up and find a proper remedy :).

It is uncomfortable - not sure it should be bad enough to make you cry though...
  • Options
    Still had it this morning only not as bad, but bought some Gaviscon and it helped.

If i get it again as bad as that then ill see gp.

thanx

ETA- maybe it was just me being tired and narked at not being able to go to sleep that upset me, but was awfully painful. ill just keep some gaviscon/rennies to hand for next time.
  • Options
    The first time I got heartburn I thought I was dying. Similar to what you described. That was about 3 years ago. I've probably had it twice since then. I wouldn't say its abnormal, but i wouldn't say it is as I don't want to be responsble for if its something thats not. The best advice I can give you is that for the first sign of it take tums, or something similar, whatever you have over ther. A antacid. Filled with calcium if you have lack and comes in yummy flavors.
  • Options
    thank you x
  • Options
    If i don't have any rennie i get real bad, sometimes even rennie doesnt help grr.