Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Homeless people

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    oh please, what is this? Are you purposly trying to antagonise me? Are you trying to suggest that homelessness is an illness? If not, 'get better' is not the right phrase here. And surely you're not trying to say that most homeless people would rather be homeless than have safe secure housing? If so, whatever could make you think that?

Yep I'm trying to antagonize you, you got me there!
    maybe the problem is that those who are homeless and want to start work/have somewhere to live or whatever don't know how to go about that sort of thing. maybe they don't know what help is actually available to them or what their options are or how to even find any organisation willing to help.
    red haze of fury blurring all heafty/subtle doses of sarcasm... Glass of milk, ginger biscuit, twenty star jumps. Ah, that's better :)
    Sugar wrote:
    im not opposed to giving money to homeless people but i admit i have been put off by a few people in the city, theres this one guy who sits right beside the cash machine and he's always drunk, he just shouts and swears at everyone to give him money and he's scary, why would u want to help someone like that?

Maybe he's got a mental health problem?
    Sugar wrote:
    theres another girl who begs on the streets with a sign saying she's pregnant but she's been there every weekend for over 2 years, long pregnancy and she's never had a bump!

Maybe she's desperate?
    in all honesty, i'm so cynical about homeless people. i cannot ever imagine letting myself get into such a situation where i end up with no job and no where to live. having said that, i've been brought up to want to work and with a loving family around me who wouldn't let me get in such a dire situation. i can probably count on 1 hand the number of times i've given a beggar some loose change, and generally it would've been if they had a dog 'cause i'd feel sorry for the poor thing. also you tend to hear stories of homeless people not really being homeless so it makes me a bit wary. and also i tend to think well why aren't they out looking for a job? yes, you need a house of some kind to get a job but you have to start somewhere and sitting on the streets isn't going to get you anywhere very fast.

I can't believe that there are people like you who are so narrowminded and judgemental. :mad: You obviosuly have NO IDEA about the realities of life for some people. As you said - " i've been brought up.......with a loving family around me". Well lucky you. Maybe homeless people have been brought up in a childrens home, or passed from foster home to foster home. Maybe their parents were alcoholics or drug addicts or had mental health problems. Maybe their dad used to fuck them up the arse when they were 5 years old. You don't know why they're on the street so stop judging.

This comment - "you need a house of some kind to get a job but you have to start somewhere and sitting on the streets isn't going to get you anywhere very fast." makes me really fucking angry. :mad: :mad: You have NO FUCKING IDEA what its like to be homeless, so until you do, please stop being such a judgemental cunt. :mad:
    even if they haven't brought it on themselves they can still get off their backside and actually seek to better their lives, can't they. for example a big issue seller..it's better than nothing!

You ignorant little fuck. :mad:
    Blagsta wrote:
    You ignorant little fuck. :mad:

although surely she has a point? yes, there may be good reasons why people are homeless and it's not for anyone to judge them. but if they want to do something about it then they do need to do something to help themselves don't they? it's not very likely someone's going to come along and sort everything out for them. but like i said before, maybe they don't know how to help themselves or what help is available, maybe they don't know where to start or how to get themselves out of the situation. i think that's where the problem lies.
    While it is true that you can't help people unless they are willing to help themselves, to have the opinion that "they can still get off their backside and actually seek to better their lives, can't they." betrays a massive ignorance. A lot of street homeless people have alcohol or drug problems. A lot have mental health problems. A lot have a history of being abused and are in desperate need of therapy or other mental health interventions. Could you get yourself a job while battling with a drink or drug problem, a mental health problem or the guilt and shame brought on by a childhood of abuse?
    How do people get themselves into the position orf being homeless anyway?
    Depends on the individual...

Some people run away to escape abuse, some get hooked on drugs, some have nervous breakdowns and used to hold good jobs...
    Blagsta wrote:
    I can't believe that there are people like you who are so narrowminded and judgemental. :mad: You obviosuly have NO IDEA about the realities of life for some people. As you said - " i've been brought up.......with a loving family around me". Well lucky you. Maybe homeless people have been brought up in a childrens home, or passed from foster home to foster home. Maybe their parents were alcoholics or drug addicts or had mental health problems. Maybe their dad used to fuck them up the arse when they were 5 years old. You don't know why they're on the street so stop judging.

This comment - "you need a house of some kind to get a job but you have to start somewhere and sitting on the streets isn't going to get you anywhere very fast." makes me really fucking angry. :mad: :mad: You have NO FUCKING IDEA what its like to be homeless, so until you do, please stop being such a judgemental cunt. :mad:

excuse me?

i said although i was critical of people living on the streets but that i understood that they don't all get brought up in environments such as mine.

so read what i post before you judge me you stupid fucker.
    Kat_B wrote:
    although surely she has a point? yes, there may be good reasons why people are homeless and it's not for anyone to judge them. but if they want to do something about it then they do need to do something to help themselves don't they? it's not very likely someone's going to come along and sort everything out for them. but like i said before, maybe they don't know how to help themselves or what help is available, maybe they don't know where to start or how to get themselves out of the situation. i think that's where the problem lies.

thankyou.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Maybe he's got a mental health problem?

Maybe she's desperate?

well why don't they seek the help that is available to them then?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Could you get yourself a job while battling with a drink or drug problem, a mental health problem or the guilt and shame brought on by a childhood of abuse?

I wouldn't know if I could or not, as I have never been in that situation, as I imagine a lot of the "judgemental c***s" you talked about further up haven't either. So maybe we can't appreciate the problem, but people are still allowed opinions. What about those who are just lazy gits? How do you know the difference, who to help and who hot to help?
    excuse me?

i said although i was critical of people living on the streets but that i understood that they don't all get brought up in environments such as mine.

so read what i post before you judge me you stupid fucker.

Read my posts you pampered middle class piece of shit. You have no fucking idea what it is like to be homeless, you have no fucking right to tell homeless people to get off their arses 'cos no doubt daddy will bail you out if you fuck up.
    How is someone in London on the streets going to save up the £1000+ for deposit and advance rent on a place? Not everyone has a family to help them out.
    I wouldn't know if I could or not, as I have never been in that situation, as I imagine a lot of the "judgemental c***s" you talked about further up haven't either. So maybe we can't appreciate the problem, but people are still allowed opinions. What about those who are just lazy gits? How do you know the difference, who to help and who hot to help?

You think people choose to be on the streets through laziness?

Pray tell me, what help exactly do you think is available to them? Who do you think is responsible for/ should be responsible for this help and do you consider that this responsibility is being met?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Read my posts you pampered middle class piece of shit

you're the one being a tad ignorant here, you know nothing about my life and i am not a 'piece of shit' thankyou very much. neither am i pampered!
    Blagsta wrote:
    You think people choose to be on the streets through laziness?

I don't really think about it at all to be honest. Maybe some do. I don't know all of them so I couldn't say.

What help? Do you know anything at all about it? There is very little help available. There is a drastic shortage of mental health provision, of drug services, alcohol services. There is no social housing being built, very few rent deposit schemes, very few good hostels. What help are people supposed to seek?
    katralla wrote:
    Pray tell me, what help exactly do you think is available to them? Who do you think is responsible for/ should be responsible for this help and do you consider that this responsibility is being met?

believe it or not, the government are actually there to help. yes okay so sometimes the welfare state causes inequalities but their are charities and organisations that are there to help people who want to helped.
    I don't really think about it at all to be honest. Maybe some do. I don't know all of them so I couldn't say.

You really think that people live on the streets 'cos they're lazy? :eek:
    Blagsta wrote:
    Read my posts you pampered middle class piece of shit. You have no fucking idea what it is like to be homeless, you have no fucking right to tell homeless people to get off their arses 'cos no doubt daddy will bail you out if you fuck up.
    How is someone in London on the streets going to save up the £1000+ for deposit and advance rent on a place? Not everyone has a family to help them out.

i think you're kind off missing the point she's making. she didn't say she expected them to save up money, she said they can seek to better their lives. which is true. it's just that many won't know how to or be able to because of their various problems.
    you're the one being a tad ignorant here, you know nothing about my life and i am not a 'piece of shit' thankyou very much. neither am i pampered!

You appear to think that you're experience of the world is the only one and that people should just get off their arses. Well, as you said, you had a good upbringing - don't assume that everyone did. You come across as a smug piece of shit to be honest. Count your lucky stars that its not you on the streets.
    Blagsta wrote:
    What help? Do you know anything at all about it? There is very little help available. There is a drastic shortage of mental health provision, of drug services, alcohol services. There is no social housing being built, very few rent deposit schemes, very few good hostels. What help are people supposed to seek?

at last, not a post where you're calling me a 'pathetic cunt' or whatever it was just because i dared to have an opinion different to yours. i would have so much more time for your opinions, and might've learnt something from you if you weren't so rude.

and in answer to your question. i don't work for the government or anything, how am i supposed to know all this? but as far as i am aware there are many charities such as shelter that can help people. also my mum used to work for a substance misuse clinic so there is help.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You really think that people live on the streets 'cos they're lazy? :eek:

I have no idea why some people live on the streets. Maybe some have been lazy before they got in the position where they had no home, is what I'm trying to say, not they live there because they are too lazy to find somewhere else.
    Kat_B wrote:
    i think you're kind off missing the point she's making. she didn't say she expected them to save up money, she said they can seek to better their lives. which is true. it's just that many won't know how to.

How exactly do you propose people do this when battling with drink, drugs, mental health, guilt, shame, no money, shit health, social security office that doesn't care, no housing, no hostels etc. How?
    Blagsta wrote:
    You appear to think that you're experience of the world is the only one and that people should just get off their arses. Well, as you said, you had a good upbringing - don't assume that everyone did. You come across as a smug piece of shit to be honest. Count your lucky stars that its not you on the streets.

no i do not. i admit i have been lucky, but only because i've got a good family around me and always have a meal on the table. not because i've been pampered. i know all people don't have a good upbringing, i am not the ignorant piece of shit that you seem to think i am.
    :no:

some very ignorant people here

in expierence ive found homeless people to be genuine decent people, of course you get the odd person who may be troublesome but generally thats down to drink or drugs ... and you'll find you always get people who end up like that when drink/drugs are involved, homeless people included

not that im implying that all homeless people drink and take drugs, its just that most people who have a bad view on them have used this as their reason
    I have no idea why some people live on the streets.

That much is obvious...

If you have mental health issues, or drug or alcohol abuse issues, then chances are that you will be on the streets if you have nobody else.

Homeless hostels won't take those with drink or drug addictions. Often those with mental health difficulties end up addicted to drink and drugs.

All of us that work in the field know how crap social provisions are for these people, some of the weakest and most vulnerable people in the country.

There are cases up and down the country where the government, in its infinite wisdom, slaps ASBOs on these people instead of helping them. And, of course, what happens is that these people breach these ASBOs simply that they can get a roof over their heads in prison.

How pathetic is that?
    believe it or not, the government are actually there to help. yes okay so sometimes the welfare state causes inequalities but their are charities and organisations that are there to help people who want to helped.

I'm with you on the fact that the government ought to be the ones to turn to, and that they should help. I think, it would benefit people who are interested in having an informed opinion on this matter if they had a look at what 'help' there really is. For instance, imagine if you will that your loving family now, this very minute, decide to not be so loving, that in fact they hate you and think you're the devil's child, where would you go? I would guess that in the first instance you would spend your first night on a willing friend's sofa. These willing friends grow tired I can assure you, where then do you go? who do you phone? write to? visit? how do you phone them without a socket to charge your mobile phone, a penny to put in the phone box, a stamp for your non-existant envelope, bus fare to the council's desk, which when you walk there een though your friggin toe is brocken and hurts like buggery, proceed to tell you that homeless aplications are only dealt with between 9.15 and 10.20 so would you kindly return tomorrow with proof of your homeless status...