Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A post by lucifer devil reminded me. She stated how she cannot imagine even letting yourself get to the point of having no home an no money and such. And it reminded me of what I saw and thought last night.

I was watching a show about the 627lb woman. And it always made me wonder. How do you let yourself get that big. I see very very large people so often and I can't even imagine getting to that point. I know its different for different people, but eventually you must get to the point where you say, enough is enough. I'm giant. How do you let yourself exceed 300, 400, 500lbs. How can you not just stop yourself.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probably by that stage, eating becomes an addiction. Or maybe they're just big boned?
    rachie004 wrote:
    I wouldn't allow myself to get 2 or 3 dress sizes bigger than I am now let alone 3 times what I weigh!

I used to say that :yeees:
    Even if eating was an addiction, how can you let yourself not get help? I guess I don't know much about addiction and how hard it may be to stop, but still. What goes thru a persons head when they get to the point where they can't even get up from laying on a bed. Where they eat and sleep and bathroom all in one place. When they can't even roll over.
    my_name wrote:
    Even if eating was an addiction, how can you let yourself not get help? I guess I don't know much about addiction and how hard it may be to stop, but still. What goes thru a persons head when they get to the point where they can't even get up from laying on a bed. Where they eat and sleep and bathroom all in one place. When they can't even roll over.
    What help is available?
    Kentish wrote:
    What help is available?

Physical and mental therapy. Nutritionists, Dr's in general. Surgery.
    my_name wrote:
    Physical and mental therapy. Nutritionists, Dr's in general. Surgery.
    Maybe by the time they get that big they find it hard to access such services. Maybe they aren't even provided if you don't have health insurance.
    sorry to sound so think but how much is 500lbs in stones or something?
    Mel-H wrote:
    A lot.
    Mel-H wrote:

around 30-40
    I cant say I have ever been that big where I was unable to get myself outta bed r anythin but couple of yrs ago I weighed over 14st (im only 5ft 2 as well) size 20. I found I ate n ate rubbish foods because of boredom, comfort and habit.
    I always had pizza n tub of pringles on a fri night without fail, loadsa sauces n dips! And if I had a crap day I would seriously comfort eat, i could easily eat loads of crisp 2cheer my self up (then i felt crap coz of wot i just done, so i'd eat some more). And when i was bored I would pick @the things in the cupboard! The weight piled on n even tho i knew i was getting heavier n heavier i continued to do it. Sometimes I would manage a day r 2 eatin well but then I would slip up with eatin a choccie bar n so I thought I failed myself n stuffed my face stupid....vicious cycle it is.
    I can pin point the exact moment that my attitude changed. I was lookin after a patient who was seriously overweight (23st) n because of this had all sorts of heart n breathing problems. This patient was 24yrs. I looked at them and thought thats me that in 5yrs. They couldn't do anythin for themselves. They had to use special beds, no clothing fit them, they couldn't finish a sentence without fallin short of breath. I went home that night n cried. i really didn't want to spend my 20's like that. I wanted to be goin out with friends, go on holidays....not be restricted to what i could manage.
    Anyways I went on the weight watchers diet n managed 2shed alot of weight, i got down to 10st 7lbs six 12-14 in under a yr. But it was really hard work. My whole lifestyle changed. When I was bored I nipped to the gym for a couple of hours, which turned into 3-4times a week(i would take my headphones n listen 2my choons n it stopped me thinkin that people where starin-which they prob weren't) i bought loadsa fruit so wen i was bored a ate as much fruit as i wanted tons of it.
    It was really really hard. In fact the hardest thing i've ever done. but i feel fantastic bout it n really proud. I now know that i can go out n treat my self to some chocolate or a take away n i havn't failed myself.........!!!

Alot of people are very ignorant to how difficult it is to change ur whole life style in order to loose the weight. It's easy to tell someone to go to the gym n exercise but to someone who is self concious about the way they look n has no confidence in their appearance it is very hard!

I know i'm ramblin but it's a topic close to heart! :p
    I like black text. :yes:
    I don't :no:
    So it seems. If you want your posts read you may want to reconsider.
    I suppose food addiction can be like drug addiction, it's a mental illness aswell as a physical one.
    hope the darker one suits u Kentish :p
    Suga80 wrote:
    Read the house rules. Black is the new black.
    Suga80 wrote:

quit it with the bloody text talk would you! :hyper:
    I'd never let myself get to the point where i was anything other than slim. I started getting a tiny bit of a beer belly the other week so just did shitloads of excercise until it went. Having been skinny all my life and reaping the benefits of it i'd never want to be anything different. Easy to say from my position, but if i can quit smoking i'm sure i could quit eating fatty foods and start excercising more if i got to that point.
    What if you have always been of "that position"? Like if you were a big baby, then a big child, then a big teen, then a big adult?
    but we're all born the same size (ish) aren't we?
    I was the chubby baby and the chubby kid at school. I will neva be dead slim or eva dream of bein a size 10-i'll always av my curves!
    I thought that the gene for a strong appetite and good fat storage where dominant as a human survival trait? The reasoning behind this is that, those humans who are better able to store fat for times of hardship survive better, thereby increasing their opportunity to breed and survive. This would mean that in times of relative wealth and surplus food, our bodies are designed to make us fatties.

There was an interesting article in New Scientist the other week about the arguement over the health consequences of obesity. Basically the article was saying that these health concernes are overblown for those who fall below or just into official "obese' categories and that fatter people are actually healthier and live longer.
    maybe she had one of those ''feeder'' husbands who find curvy women then encourage them to eat and get fat all the time telling them they're beautiful etc cause they got a fetish for fat?
    saw it once on tv
    when i went to florida last year...i was so shocked at how big everyone seemed, it was like every other person was obese, they even went round in those motor wheelchairs for old people
    i felt anorexic!
    Ballerina wrote:
    maybe she had one of those ''feeder'' husbands who find curvy women then encourage them to eat and get fat all the time telling them they're beautiful etc cause they got a fetish for fat?
    saw it once on tv
    sounds lovely! :lol:
    This woman lived alone. I missed the begining to find out where this younger woman came into the picture that helped her all the time. BUt apperantly she was always large. They showed pictures and she was never "fat" Just bigger. Then she had surgery and gained 150lbs in 2 months. That seems absoutly... I dont know, impossible even.

I found the one I watched here http://advancedmedical.tv/shows/6ps.htm
    At the end of the show it was about 7 months after the surgery and she had lost over 200lbs. You could definatly tell in her face. But she had so much extra skin everywhere that it really didnt' look like she lost that much. I was quite proud that she had the courage and strength to finally do something about it, no matter what caused her to lose everything in the first place.
    my_name wrote:
    Then she had surgery and gained 150lbs in 2 months. That seems absoutly... I dont know, impossible even.
    thats more than what i weigh :crazyeyes
    I was a skinny freak until I was about 12 then I leapt to fat bastard status. I comfort ate. Still do. That might be the reason, I'd imagine that it'd vary from person to person.

I still have the occasional moment where I realise I'm over eating but can't stop. Or don't want to stop. One of the two.
    you know, i can see myself ending up like that!

over the past few years ive put weight on, i can see it, i dont like it, but i just dont do anything about it! dont get me wrong im not that big, probably only about 9 1/2 stone, but my weight just keeps creaping up, and i dont do anything! :(
    I have often thought about this subject and it occured to me that if people can suffer with body dysmorphic disorder ie seeing themselves as being bigger than they really are then surely people can see themselves as being smaller than they really are. This is just my opinion, but so many people say..."it just crept on", "I didn't notice how much weight I put on" etc and these are such common phrases that I hear all the time on these makeover shows or from people I know! Fact is, weight doesn't go on overnight, it takes time...therefore, people could potentially be mentally ignoring/denying whats happening to their bodies and not realise how large they have got until they go shopping and realise that nothing in the shop fits them!
    well ok i cant see how i would ever let myself get as big as the people as you are talking about it is quite easy to give up about how much you weight if you are feeling low enough and just end up comfort eating, you give up caring that you will put on weight and just that eating stops you feeling so crap and you think you are already fat so that any more wont make any difference