Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tories Set to Win Next Election, Polls Show.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
---

Comments

• Options
    Given that the next election is four years away I'd say your title is abit premature
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Given that the next election is four years away I'd say your title is abit premature
    Yes but that's what the article is about.
  • Options
    A lot of people are disillusioned by Labour, but the Tories will have to do a lot to change their image in order to dent the majority. They're very unfashionable.
  • Options
    That'd be nice, if they bin the ID card plans.
  • Options
    ncam11.jpg

Link

Is it really a good idea for the Conservative Party to move towards the centre left?

Who will wunder kid bring on next, Tony Benn as head of policies?

Centre-left? :lol:

What planet are on you on? :confused:
  • Options
    Cameron, blair,brown, aint no difference tbh.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Cameron, blair,brown, aint no difference tbh.

Hear hear!

(I thought I'll keep in the theme of politics)
  • Options
    Cameron is different. He doesnt look like a right wing firebreather - he looks like Tony Blair did in the 90's.

Fresh, confident, calm and someone who can win.

People will vote for him.
  • Options
    The advantage with Cameron is that he moves away from the image the public have of the Tories of old grey men. He has also never been in government under the old Tory regimes. Whilst it doesn't seem to say much, it could be a real selling point if they play it well.

Ideally the Tories need to be cutting managerial positions in the public services and freeing up cash for equipment and ground-level staff (which frankly cost less than managers anyway). What the public needs to accept is that there won't be any massive tax cuts if they really want public service improvement. Oh, and they also need to sort out their Immigration policy and Europe policy, because they are currently major sticking points after the Howard fascism era.
  • Options
    Cameron is different. He doesnt look like a right wing firebreather - he looks like Tony Blair did in the 90's.

Fresh, confident, calm and someone who can win.

People will vote for him.

instead of being ruled by cocacola we'll be ruled by pepsi

i love how politics is going
  • Options
    instead of being ruled by cocacola we'll be ruled by pepsi

:yes:

Now, do you want me to punch you with the left hand or the right hand?

Picking the left because it's weaker is hardly a mandate for having all your teeth knocked out.

I use the "double bind" with people all the time and it sickens me how well it usually works.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    klintock wrote:
    it sickens me how well it usually works.

Welcome to today.

Oh well, if he does, it'll be the same as ever - same old shit, new face.
  • Options
    polls....psh!
  • Options
    he looks like Tony Blair did in the 90's.

That's a good thing?

Just as Blair becomes unfashionable, the Tories go for his clone...
  • Options
    Read what I said - I didnt say he looks like Tony Blair does now.

I said in the 90's when he was essentially a political messiah.
  • Options
    I don't like Cameron's politics, but I like him as a politician. As rolly said elsewhere, him and Osbourne are the type of guys you could easily have a drink and a sniff with.

His exchanges with Labour couldn't have gone better for him. If he's truly sincere about this supposed new conservative approach, he will go far. Just unfortunate whenever i watch him speaking at question time i have to look at Davis' smug mug. Pity Cameron didn't punt him from the front bench, but i suppose he has to keep his enemies close.

The only circumstances which would prompt me vote for him would be radical change on the drugs front though. Without that, his politics don't hold any weight with me.

If he's as clever as some have hailed him to be, a strong focus on the environment and drugs liberalisation will result in a LOT of anti-tories VERY tempted to vote for him. However, we have yet to see just how bold he's going to be with this...wait and see :yes: .
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I don't like Cameron's politics, but I like him as a politician. As rolly said elsewhere, him and Osbourne are the type of guys you could easily have a drink and a sniff with

I don’t know if I like his politics; what are his politics? I don’t really like him. He seems pretty arrogant and a bit fake. He seems pretty obvious in trying to shed his upper class traits. Maybe that’s because we’ve seen all that before with Blair. Ken Clarke would have been a far better choice.
  • Options
    I think Private Eye sums it up very well:

1147.jpg

:D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think Private Eye sums it up very well:

1147.jpg

:D

LOL.

The illuminati at work perhaps?
  • Options
  • Options
    Read what I said - I didnt say he looks like Tony Blair does now.

I said in the 90's when he was essentially a political messiah.

I know what you said. Doesn't change the fact that just as Blair becomes a liability, the Tories go for ToneClone.

Don't you think people will say, well look what voting for a man of words but not substance got us last time? Don't you think that people can see through the spin, that the public is much more cynical now?
  • Options
    I know what you said. Doesn't change the fact that just as Blair becomes a liability, the Tories go for ToneClone.

Don't you think people will say, well look what voting for a man of words but not substance got us last time? Don't you think that people can see through the spin, that the public is much more cynical now?

Modern mainstream politics leaves room for little else but words i'm afraid.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spliffie wrote:
    LOL.

The illuminati at work perhaps?

I KNEW it! Illuminati Bastards! :shocking:
  • Options

Not sure its true that he's that much of a liability. Whilst polls are an inexact science they do seem to show that Labour scrape ahead with Blair as leader, whereas with Brown they do slightly worse.

Whilst Blair is not popular with Guardian leader writers I suspect he's still not a liability. the more left-wing labour voters will generally hold there nose and vote for him, because there is no real alternative. the more right-wing converts won't have been put off by the fact that he's on the right as that is the reason they voted for him.

And whilst I agree the public are more cynical on some things they still don't seem to be interested in looking at problems in depth or examining hard issues - so sound bites is what we get.
  • Options
    The press like him, if that continues it will seriously aid tory revival. I think maybe he is lightweight and will get found out. wait and see.