Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Waitrose

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    omg Andy are u serious? that would make me SO happy! Everyone who has visited me here from home has brought me delights from waitrose hehe.

So I've heard.
    They seem to be building everything, which is useful :)
  • Options
    :D woooo
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    We have the biggest Tesco in Europe. :D
    I thought that was in Peterborough?
  • Options
    the peterborough one is HUGE. ahh i miss home
  • Options
    the peterborough one is HUGE. ahh i miss home
    Are you from Peterborough?
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Supposedly Leeds are getting a John Lewis (and Waitrose). Which is good.

there is already a waitrose in harrogate.

:yes:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I thought that was in Peterborough?

Don't know anything about Peterborough but ours was the biggest in (thought it was Europe, but might just have been U.K.) when it opened about a year ago.

http://www.buildingtalk.com/news/lua/lua100.html

ETA: It is the biggest in Europe.

http://www.pinsentmasons.com/expertise/business/coventryarena.aspx
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Don't know anything about Peterborough but ours was the biggest in (thought it was Europe, but might just have been U.K.) when it opened about a year ago.

http://www.buildingtalk.com/news/lua/lua100.html
    Ah... My Tesco knowledge must need updating! I was told the Peterborough one was the biggest one but that was about two years ago, they must have built an even bigger one!
  • Options
    I love Waitrose, I'm always there when I'm at home!

And we have the biggest Asda in Europe at home too </random>
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Waitrose is excellent, especially for meat.

Judging by the half pounder burger I bought and cooked today it must be pretty damn good.

I used a george foreman grill which collects the dripping fat and there was almost no fat at all in the burger, most burgers shrink bigtime as the fat heats up and turns to liquid and drains away and I usually need two trays to collect all the fat, , this one stayed the same size, with virtually no fat at all in it..

I've tried cooking a lot of burgers in that thing to see how they come out, nothing ever came out quite like this. And also no tiny pieces of bone or cartilage either like you get in some burgers.

I'm really plesently surprised .. shame our local waitrose is a bit out of the way.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    but it costs me nearly twice as much as it does in saisburys to do my weekly shop there

well, exactly.

some of us can't afford to shop in the "ethical" shops, but that doesn't mean we agree with exploitation of workers, farmers and so on.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote:
    well, exactly.

some of us can't afford to shop in the "ethical" shops, but that doesn't mean we agree with exploitation of workers, farmers and so on.
    Actually it just depends how you prioritise your spending.
  • Options
    Hello, im new to the site but i see this thread and i had to reply, i have work for Waitrose Ramsgate for nearely 4 years now, the thing with shops up north is that up untill about 2 years ago all of the shop where south based, then with the new shops we have been opening up north we have to sort out goods transport, which is mainly based south of london, we have a new centra just opened up north which should hopfully allow shops to be opened where before it was just to far to think about, but if anyone wants to know where the new stores will be i can add a list tomorrow? up to you, but as every has said it does cost a little more but then you do get what you pay for?

anyways its nice to see a site with people being able to chat about anything like this and i hope to get to know some of you a little more

Richard
  • Options
    Territt wrote:
    anyways its nice to see a site with people being able to chat about anything like this
    Yes, the world is a better place for it :lol:

Welcome to the site :)
  • Options
    omg hi wrote:
    well, exactly.

When you say can't afford to sho there do you mean for their own brand products or national brands?

For instance if the Waitrose burgers are less fatty and therefore after cooking there is actually more on the plate to eat then other makes I may shop there

BUT if I want a packet of Kellogs conrnflakes, Bird Eye Fish Fingers, etc (i.e. those nationals brands) then it doesn't matter if it's Lidl, Sainbury's Tesco, etc from my point of view.

I can only see myself shopping at waitrose or even M&S for a special meal, where maybe it's for a special occassion but day to day I think it's an expensive place to shop.
  • Options
    I can only see myself shopping at waitrose or even M&S for a special meal, where maybe it's for a special occassion but day to day I think it's an expensive place to shop.

It can be, I normally buy my cheese elsewhere for example because you can get good deals in Morisons or Tesco.

But all the other supermarkets are going so quickly down hill in terms of their ethics I feel bad shopping anywhere else, Tesco in particular.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Are you from Peterborough?
    nearish, kinda in between cambridge, bedford and peterborough. if you know the area PM and ill say exactly where :p
  • Options
    Co-op is good ethically too, although their organic range is severely lacking.

MMMM Co-op fairtrade wine and chocolate brownies
  • Options
    I didn't think anyone above the M60 could afford to shop in Waitrose!

Coming from somone who's never been further north than south Nottingham. I'm such a southern boy.
  • Options
    I didn't think anyone above the M60 could afford to shop in Waitrose!

Coming from somone who's never been further north than south Nottingham. I'm such a southern boy.

South Nottingham is already considerably in The North.
  • Options
    I just got from Sainbury's - only had a basket and so went to pay at the express basket only checkout and couldn't see a single member of staff, then realised there wasn't any - it was like a self service thing - I had to scan me one food at the check out - was quite strange but quite good, although gonna lead to a lot of job losses if this continues, there was 1 member of staff overseeing 6 self service stations.
  • Options
    was talking to a guy at tescos, we often after finishing work at the club go to tescos at about 4am, he reckons the only time its hassle free in relation to self service tills, is at that time in the morning

there are always things going on that need sorting with them, yes they do free up staff but also they mean the staff no longer used canbe doing other things like stocking shelves or whatever they do in a supermarket

also means in busy periods more customers can be served. therefore more money to pay the staff anyway
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    there is already a waitrose in harrogate.

:yes:

There's one in Otley, which is already technically Leeds.
  • Options
    i LOVE the self service till things at tescos.. shame there's not one close to me when im at uni. i have to use morrisons.
  • Options
    Co-op is good ethically too, although their organic range is severely lacking.

*works for Co-op*
    They are ethically good with fairtrade, but not with much British, eg Milk. They screw farmers over big time on that.