Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GMB to let people freeze this winter

Story.

They care...about nothing except themselves.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm surprised it took you so long Kermit.

When I first heard that this was being considered, I was expecting you to rant about it and then for Blagsta and FTP to defend "the workers" and their right to withold their labour.

Then the polarised POV would get into an argument about whether there really is anything for the workers to worry about in this situation and, in some cases, try to ignore the whole "raison d'etre" for the jobs in question.
  • Options
    I'm surprised it took you so long Kermit.

When I first heard that this was being considered, I was expecting you to rant about it and then for Blagsta and FTP to defend "the workers" and their right to withold their labour.

Then the polarised POV would get into an argument about whether there really is anything for the workers to worry about in this situation and, in some cases, try to ignore the whole "raison d'etre" for the jobs in question.

You just spoiled the thread now :p
  • Options
    Consider it the Executive Summary...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    You just spoiled the thread now :p
    True.

Although, it will probably still happen. Then Klintock will kindly imform us that it doesn't exist anyway.
  • Options
    Then Klintock will kindly imform us that it doesn't exist anyway.

looks like I got you pretty well trained already. :p
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    looks like I got you pretty well trained already. :p

But of course! How could I not learn from your infinite wisdom?
  • Options
    But of course! How could I not learn from your infinite wisdom?

Anyone can join in when they know the words, Hamster old hoss! :yes:

Anyway, what are you on about? I am an idiot. :D
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I am an idiot. :D

Quoted. And I didn't like to be rude. :p
  • Options
    It doesn't normally upset you...... :D

Besides I must be an idiot if George Bush agrees with me.......

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml
    “Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”
    Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia says he cringes when someone calls the Constitution a “living document.”
    “"Oh, how I hate the phrase we have—a 'living document,’” Scalia says. “We now have a Constitution that means whatever we want it to mean. The Constitution is not a living organism, for Pete's sake.”

And the alleged "british" don't even have one!
  • Options
    Actually we do - its just not written on one piece of paper, but many.
  • Options
    I
    don't understand any of the above (except the Original Post)

The story includes the line
    "We have fully co-operated with the company to ensure that emergency arrangements are in place."

From what I heard on the radio a week or so ago when I first heard about this. THese 'emergency arrangements' include cover to fix boilers for vulnerable people.

The rest of us will just have to put another jumper on.
    So What! There would be no point in striking if no one noticed :)

E
    (is that more like what you wanted Kermit)
  • Options
    I too fail to see how workers attempting to enforce their rights by taking mini-strikes translates into "letting people freeze". :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I too fail to see how workers attempting to enforce their rights by taking mini-strikes translates into "letting people freeze". :confused:
    British Gas engineers are likely to stage a 24-hour strike on Monday after talks broke down.
    There will be four further one-day stoppages in the run-up to Christmas and the New Year...The other 24-hour strikes are due to take place on 19 and 21 December and 6 and 9 January.

Out-of-hours calls will also not be handled from 12-23 December and 4-10 January.

Did it not occur to you that if your gas stops working say between 12-23 December or perhaps 4-10 January out-of-hours you might get a bit cold? Or if it breaks down within the 24 hour timeframe?

I never realised you were as detached from reality as the GMB…Final salary pension schemes would be nice but they’re not sustainable. And British Gas isn't doing as well as it used to...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4528377.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4084481.stm

British Gas is bringing itself into line with most other companies in the private sector. The GMB can strike and even if it gets its way it's only putting off the inevitable. Not that they realise that since like most unions they're short-sighted.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Their rights are not what they are striking about.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

If the heating breaks down, its going to get chilly. But hey, screw having no hot water at christmas, lets have a few extra days holiday to get the shopping in.

They're not striking about their rights. They're striking for hypothetical rights for hypothetical people. While the rest of us get hypothermia (boom boom).
  • Options
    Are all boiler/gas engineers members of the GMB?

Thank God electric heating has less parts that can break.
  • Options
    Their rights are not what they are striking about.

Pensions are employment rights in my book.
  • Options
    Did it not occur to you that if your gas stops working say between 12-23 December or perhaps 4-10 January out-of-hours you might get a bit cold? Or if it breaks down within the 24 hour timeframe?

I never realised you were as detached from reality as the GMB…Final salary pension schemes would be nice but they’re not sustainable. And British Gas isn't doing as well as it used to...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4528377.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4084481.stm

British Gas is bringing itself into line with most other companies in the private sector. The GMB can strike and even if it gets its way it's only putting off the inevitable. Not that they realise that since like most unions they're short-sighted.

The organisation I work for has a final salary pension scheme and we're a charity not a business. Seems sustainable to me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If the heating breaks down, its going to get chilly. But hey, screw having no hot water at christmas, lets have a few extra days holiday to get the shopping in.

They're not striking about their rights. They're striking for hypothetical rights for hypothetical people. While the rest of us get hypothermia (boom boom).

From the link you posted
    "We have fully co-operated with the company to ensure that emergency arrangements are in place."
  • Options
    Yeah, the old and ill will get their heating fixed. Those are the emergency provisions, it said so on BBC radio 2.

The rest of us who aren't old or ill will just have to swivel.

Typical trade unionist attitude, that.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    Are all boiler/gas engineers members of the GMB?

Well?

Surely it's not only British Gas that fix boilers?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yeah, the old and ill will get their heating fixed. Those are the emergency provisions, it said so on BBC radio 2.

The rest of us who aren't old or ill will just have to swivel.

You think that they're the only engineers in the UK?
    Kermit wrote:
    Typical trade unionist attitude, that.

They're trying to protect their pension rights. Whats wrong with that?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They're not striking about their rights. They're striking for hypothetical rights for hypothetical people.

The row revolves around British Gas' plans to close its final salary pension scheme to new staff.

Get it ... NEW STAFF .. they're trying to protect the rights of others and not themselves ... I for one think it makes a nice change - most people strike for more money for themselves or more benefits for themselves - at least they are doing something to protect others... in this case probabaly the young people around about your age who are just joining the company so that when they come to retire they'll have a pension.

I don't think anyone will die because of a strike, if the hot water stops they'll boil a kettle, if the heating dies, they'll put some more clothes on.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The organisation I work for has a final salary pension scheme and we're a charity not a business. Seems sustainable to me.

But I always thought that charities [generally] like the public sector get slightly lower wages than the private sector but better benefits like final salary pensions or whatever.

British Gas workers pay since privatisation has increased far more than inflation, in turn benefits for future employees can’t be as generous as they used to be.

Anyway this doesn’t even affect current employees; their pensions won’t be affected which further undermines their justification for striking. And the timing is pretty convenient isn’t it? A few extra days off at Christmas.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Pensions are employment rights in my book.

Indeed they are. I have no argument with that.

But whose pension rights are in question here?
  • Options

Anyway this doesn’t even affect current employees; their pensions won’t be affected which further undermines their justification for striking.

I guess the concept of solidarity is an alien one to you then.
  • Options
    Indeed they are. I have no argument with that.

But whose pension rights are in question here?

New employees. Therefore showing that in fact, they aren't being selfish at all.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    New employees. Therefore showing that in fact, they aren't being selfish at all.

Not quite what the GMB are arguing though, is it?

They are claiming that they are trying to secoure the right to final salary for people who do not work for the company - interesting concept that one, why not let the recruitment process dictate that. If it's important enough then they won't be able to recruit, if not then new employees will know thier rights on appointment.

However, the GMB also claim that British Gas' move is the first step to withdrawing the same rights to existing members. Of course, BG have argued that they have no intention of doing anything about it and that by cutting off the benefit now they will secure the rights for existing staff.

Not quite as alturistic as it first appears.

I fully support their right to strike for their own right, if they are under threat. But they aren't.
  • Options
    If we don't look after each other, who will?

The little power the unions have left occasionally gets used to protect the rights and well-being of workers. What on earth is wrong with that?

There is going to be around 3 one-day strikes, during which emergency teams will still be at work and of course countless other engineers will be available. No one is going to freeze.

Unless you happen to be employers, there appear to be a few turkeys here voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If we don't look after each other, who will?

And how does this strike help people whose heating fails? I know it doesn't seem important, but that is what the engineers are actually employed to do...
    The little power the unions have left occasionally gets used to protect the rights and well-being of workers. What on earth is wrong with that?

Nothing.

How are these working right's being affected?
    Unless you happen to be employers, there appear to be a few turkeys here voting for Christmas.

It's this kind of action which creates the "turkey voting for Christmas" scenario. All this does is alienate the people whose support the striking workers need.

More pay, better working conditions, no loss of rights are all very good motives. This one isn't.