Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

coming off income support

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi there, i am currently on income support, what do i need to do to get off income support?

Would like to go on JSA and come off income support.

Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why are you on Income Support? Are you claiming Incapacity Benefit due to illness/injury?

If so, get your doctor to sign you off, let the DSS know this, and call the local jobcentre or call centre (if the office has converted to Jobcentre Plus).
    i'm not on incapacity benefit, but i'm on income support due to an operation i had earlier this year.

so its just a case of letting the DSS know?
    Yes, tell them you now feel fit for work.

Call or visit the jobcentre. They will either give you or post a JSA1 claim form and an appointment to go in for a New Claim interview. Make sure the form is filled-in all the way to the back, as you need to claim JSA (Income Based), which is the equivalent of Income Support.
    why would you want to?
    Isnt IS less hassle?
    I'd stay on IS if I were you.
    i can stay on income support? o_0
    jake0 wrote:
    i can stay on income support? o_0

You can stay on it as long as your doctor will give you a sick note. However, after a while you will be called in by the DSS to go through an All-Work Test. If you don't get enough points in this, the DSS will tell you that you must sign on.

You can appeal against the result, though, and still receive IS at a lower rate.