Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Causes of fits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last weekend and also today, during one of the times i fainted my boyfriend said that instead of just fainting like i normally do i went into a fit. he says I was shaking all over, and breathing strangly, when he tried to open my mouth to make sure my airways was clear he said that my jaw was clamped shut and he couldnt open it.

I have been to my doctors and had blood tests done last week and have an appoinment to have an ECG on Tues, so I am trying to get it sorted!

basically i was just wondering what causes fits? on all the occassions i have gone into a fit i have not been drinking or taking drugs. i can't see a reason why i went into a fit instead of just fainting.

Thanks

Emz

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the first thing that sprang to mind was epilepsy
    but im no expert - you'll just have to wait for your results
    Basically a fit is caused by electrical disturbances in the brain! It could be epliepsy and there are around 200 different types of known epilepsy! Other things that cause fits are injuries to the head, shortage of oxygen or glucose to the brain (lack of glucose possibly caused by diabetes) or some diseases may cause fits. I get the impression that you faint regularly, I wonder if the two are connected? :chin:
    Pseudoseizure?
    My mate has fits, he has some kind of epilepsy. he's always biting his tongue during a fit
    Good point.
    Last weekend and also today, during one of the times i fainted my boyfriend said that instead of just fainting like i normally do i went into a fit. he says I was shaking all over, and breathing strangly, when he tried to open my mouth to make sure my airways was clear he said that my jaw was clamped shut and he couldnt open it.

I have been to my doctors and had blood tests done last week and have an appoinment to have an ECG on Tues, so I am trying to get it sorted!

basically i was just wondering what causes fits? on all the occassions i have gone into a fit i have not been drinking or taking drugs. i can't see a reason why i went into a fit instead of just fainting.

Thanks

Emz
    Did you bite your tongue or become incontinent of urine?
    no, i have never done either of that, as i said i was breathing strangely and shaking all over, i just felt really tierd afterwards and wanted to sleep!
    have an appoinment to have an ECG on Tues

Are you sure you don't mean EEG? Different tests... after my "fit" I had the latter...
    basically i was just wondering what causes fits?

How long have you got?

Low blood sugar is a simple cause but there are so many things...
    no, i have never done either of that, as i said i was breathing strangely and shaking all over, i just felt really tierd afterwards and wanted to sleep!
    Sounds like a panic attack.
    Kentish wrote:
    Pseudoseizure?

soz took me awhile to reply to this I had to look it up.

If i had fainted already, meaning I was unconcious I have no control over what I am doing. so therefore how could it be something psycological that I can stop?? I didnt even no I had fainted untill I come round and my boyfriend told me what had happened!
    I once looked after a man with epilepsy. He was stood talking to me then he said he felt dizzy, next second he collapsed on floor and was shaking. Not violently like I expected someone with epilepsy to do but it was more of a gentle tremor. He breathing changed as well. It became really fast and heavy. It didn't last for very long approx a min but it felt like forever. It scared the life out of me. But I was told that they look worse than what they actually are. But I felt so helpless. I had no idea what was happening or what to do!
    He had an EEG performed and prescribed with some medications to help control these seizures.
    Suga80 wrote:
    I once looked after a man with epilepsy. He was stood talking to me then he said he felt dizzy, next second he collapsed on floor and was shaking. Not violently like I expected someone with epilepsy to do but it was more of a gentle tremor. He breathing changed as well. It became really fast and heavy. It didn't last for very long approx a min but it felt like forever. It scared the life out of me. But I was told that they look worse than what they actually are. But I felt so helpless. I had no idea what was happening or what to do!
    He had an EEG performed and prescribed with some medications to help control these seizures.

My dad was exactly the same.

Isn't epilepsy heridatory? (sp?)
    Yeah they can be inherited or result from some form of injury to the brain!