Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

World cup Draw

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So the big draw tonight, quite excited....

Nightmare draw: England, Holland, Ivory Coast and USA

Dream draw: England, Switzerland, Angola, Trinidad

as suggested in the paper...

Personally I would quite like to play the US, give them a good hiding, similar for Australia...

Wouldn't like to see us get Czech republic either, very good team. South Korea or Japan may present a challenge as well.....

What do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'd want to avoid all African nations, however weak they seem.

Saudi Arabia has to be the easiest team to be drawn against.

I don't know why but I'd be wary of Switzerland. I'd actually prefer to draw Australia or the US- the latter which, despite its official world ranking, has to remain a very manageable opposition.
  • Options
    Are you talking from a Spanish or English perspective or doesn't it matter I suppose....

I think the Swiss and the Croats are the weakest of the non-seeded European nations to be honest.

Spain only came runners up in their group didn't they, who beat them as I guess you would want to aviod them...
  • Options
    From both perspectives really...

I'm kind of given up on Spain. The greatest team never to have won the World Cup. Underperformance time after time... though in the last World Cup it is certainly fair to say that we were robbed :mad:
  • Options
    I'd probably prefer Australia and the USA to some of the tricky African and South American teams, because you know what you're getting. Let's face it, both are average teams on the world scale, and both would probably struggle to qualify from the European group phase, and both are getting a bit big for their boot now, so I'd enjoy us putting them back in their place :yes:
    When was the last time England failed to beat an average team in the World Cup? Nigeria? And we still went through. I'm much more worried about ending up with Holland, Czech Rep, Portugal or god forbid, Sweden. We can never beat them.
    England matches I'd like to see? A rematch against Portugal - that was never a foul. Argentina - well you have to, don't you. Germany - grudge match. Brazil - in the final, Ronaldinho getting sent off, and England actually taking advantage of it, rather than poncing around for the next 40 minutes.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    From both perspectives really...

I'm kind of given up on Spain. The greatest team never to have won the World Cup. Underperformance time after time... though in the last World Cup it is certainly fair to say that we were robbed :mad:

Think that title goes to Holland to be honest.
  • Options
    I would be a bit concerned about Portugal actually given that they have effectively knocked us out of two recent major tournaments.......
  • Options
    Not a bad group for England then. Sweden will be tricky but i can't see Paraguay or Trinidad causing too many problems.

Argentina's group looks tasty though. Argentina vs Holland should be memorable.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Not a bad group for England then. Sweden will be tricky but i can't see Paraguay or Trinidad causing too many problems.

Argentina's group looks tasty though. Argentina vs Holland should be memorable.

I agree can't wait for Argentina vs Holland it will be a good match to watch.
  • Options
    World Cup finals draw in full

GROUP A
    Germany
    Costa Rica
    Poland
    Ecuador

GROUP B

England
    Paraguay
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Sweden

GROUP C

Argentina
    Ivory Coast
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Holland

GROUP D
    Mexico
    Iran
    Angola
    Portugal

GROUP E

Italy
    Ghana
    USA
    Czech Republic

GROUP F

Brazil
    Croatia
    Australia
    Japan

GROUP G
    France
    Switzerland
    South Korea
    Togo

GROUP H
    Spain
    Ukraine
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia
  • Options
    Brazil's group is class.

Australia vs Brazil will be great and Japan's manager is one of Brazil's greatest ever players, Zico.

I think Argentina's group is this competition's group of death or whatever you want to call it. Argentina, Holland, Serbia and Ivory Coast all real good sides.
  • Options
    If you want to win it you have to beat the decent sides.

But do it as late as possible.

I'd be more concerned about which side of the group we'd end up on. It's sometimes better to finish second in the group...
  • Options
    Yeah, Brazil group looks most interesting on paper.

Can't complain about Spain's group though.

Anyway, I'm already excited about the whole thing. Very much look forward to going down the pub for the opening game, and more or less remain there for the duration of the tournament.

PS... I guess now with 24 hour pubs I can stay inside for the duration :D
  • Options
    Brazil's group is going to be the most entertaining and competitive I've seen in a while.

Easiest group has to be Argentina's I dont see them having any problems at all.

I have a sinking feeling Paraguay and Sweden might go through and not England... :s Call me a pessamist.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Eul Grepus wrote:
    Easiest group has to be Argentina's I dont see them having any problems at all.

Save for maybe the Dutch! :eek2:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I suppose... Still think Argentina will get through in 1st
  • Options
    Argentina's group isn't that easy. IC and Serbia aint no pushovers and could cause an upset against one of the bigger teams.
  • Options
    If England don't win the group they will probably play Germany in the second round.

Argh.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If England don't win the group they will probably play Germany in the second round.

Argh.

Ahh, optimism... I like it :thumb:
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    I think Argentina's group is this competition's group of death or whatever you want to call it. Argentina, Holland, Serbia and Ivory Coast all real good sides.

:yes: Ivory Coast are the strongest of the lesser known teams (think Senegal). Holland are quality and Serbia & Montenegro are seriously under rated
  • Options
    I think either holland or argentina will get eliminated from their group, that will be the major shock of the tournament
  • Options
    If you expect it, would it still be a major shock?

:chin: :p
  • Options
    Argentina won't be eliminated.

I'm hoping for a Brazil vs Argentina final :yum: (hopefully they won't meet beforehand).

Sorry England, but it's a quarter-final or semi-final defeat I think, but if the team gells well and Rooney performs you never know.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Argh.

You're English this week then? I thought that you'd be giving it large about the Aussie's group...
  • Options
    Predict the winner Here here here

Brazil won it for me, with Argentina runners up.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Predict the winner Here here here

Brazil won it for me, with Argentina runners up.
    England v Argentina final for me :D With England winning obviously.

The way I worked it out, if England and Brazil top there groups and make it through the early knockouts they will meet in the Semi's, would prefer to avoid them till the last chance but knocking them out in the semi's won't be too bad :p
  • Options
    World cup predictor

World cup predictor

Try this (from the BBC website) - it's pretty cool. You put in the predicted results and it calculates the draw for you.

I got England winning their group, beating Poland in the Second Round, and then losing to Argentina (who finished Third)

Brazil beat Germany in the Final!
  • Options
    You're English this week then? I thought that you'd be giving it large about the Aussie's group...

I can be both;)

I think the Aussies haven't got the best group, but it could be worse. I don't see us getting out of it though.

I tried the predictor. Had England finishing second on goal difference, and losing to Germany in the second round. Brazil would beat Sweden in the final.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    World cup predictor

Try this (from the BBC website) - it's pretty cool. You put in the predicted results and it calculates the draw for you.

I got England winning their group, beating Poland in the Second Round, and then losing to Argentina (who finished Third)

Brazil beat Germany in the Final!

Hmmmm, look up mate. Already been linked :thumb:
  • Options
    My predictions

3rd place finish for Engurland
    wc.JPG 65.5K
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Hmmmm, look up mate. Already been linked :thumb:

I know, GF must have done it literally seconds before me! Wasn't there when I read thread - honest!!!!!!!! ;)