Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Could you live without...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Reading the telly and first car threads made me think. What if I were to do without TV and my car? Would I be any worse off? Probably not. I hardly ever use my car, except to get to Dunaskin at weekends. When I go drinking or if I go into Glasgow I'll use public transport. I don't watch all that much TV.

I do enjoy driving, but getting rid of the car would save me money. If I got a place of my own, I would be getting a PC and internet connection before I got a TV.

Plus it would be better for the environment!

What modern conveniences could you live without?

Should we do away with all these polluting modern conveniences and go back to the way things were 50-100 years ago?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I could probably live with out the television but I would die without my car. After an accident I didn't have my car for a day and a half and I nearly died. If I went back to the old school, I would have to have my own horse and buggy. No doubts about it.
    Mobile phones. Was having a discussion with my friend the other day, and realised that in 1998 (when we were talking about being on holiday) neither of us had them.

Seems funny now, but think I could get used to living without it quite easliy again!!!!
    I would be able to live without my tv but my car, mobile and internet I couldn't cope without!
    I feel lost without my phone glued to me (really pathetic i know!) how on earth could I get about without my car????? Buses trains etc etc are expensive, unreliable and get you there hrs n hrs later than if u drove yourself! And I could possibly live without my computer (but it would take some gettin used to!)
    I've got too reliant on all these mod con's :rolleyes:
    I could live without TV, and casual web-surfing (i.e not work-related stuff) rely on my car to do my job though, so that's a no-no. same goes for the mobile phone, although sometimes I do leave it at home so I dont keep getting pestered.
    i could possibly live without tv, internet and phones if i had a never ending supply of good books :D
    i could live without tv, dont watch that much anyway, but i love my car.
    I don't have a TV with me at uni and I'm coping ok. I haven't got a car with me either, but I'm taking my test in January so I don't know if that counts!
    Definitely couldn't live without my internet though.
    there is no way i could live without my mobile, i really dont know how i used to manage without one!
    I think I could live without a mobile, television and car very easily.

I could live without broadband (and therefore, constant internet access) but not the Internet entirely. It's too convenient; remember back in the days when you couldn't look up absolutely any pointless bollocks in the world, c/o Google.
    Since i haven't got a car i could live without it and probably could live without the tv, as long as there's still the internet.
    I have and could do without a TV easily. The trouble is when it's there - suddenly everything is a must see. I'm loving this new Space Cadet thing.
    I could live without everything except for air conditioning!!
    We had our water unexpectedly cut off all day yesterday due to a workman up the road rupturing the main. After that I can tell you I'd be pretty loathe to live without running water. You don't appreciate what you've got till you haven't got it anymore.

Living without tv would be a breeze.
    I could live without a Blackberry.

In fact, I do...
    Should we do away with all these polluting modern conveniences and go back to the way things were 50-100 years ago?

No fucking way.

Anyway, people polluted 50-100 years ago. There's just more of us to do it.
    bad seed wrote:
    No fucking way.

Anyway, people polluted 50-100 years ago. There's just more of us to do it.

OMG yeah! Too true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2545759.stm

Just an example.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I couldl vie without a lot, but books would be hard.
    I can and do live my day today life without a tv or a car (although I do rely on my Dad having a car when I move etc). I'm not really a mod con type of girl.
    manickev wrote:
    Mobile phones. Was having a discussion with my friend the other day, and realised that in 1998 (when we were talking about being on holiday) neither of us had them.

Seems funny now, but think I could get used to living without it quite easliy again!!!!
    Forgot about mobile phones. I manage without mine most of the time (can't get a signal where I live), but for organising nights out its really handy.
    "I'm in town now, which pub are you at?" etc.