Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hey-ho

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
this may seem like a stupid question.. but.. can anyone tell me some emo bands? i'm a hxc girl myself but i want to know what all these emo "scenesters" that keep cropping up everywhere listen to. and what's the emo ethic? is it true they cry at shows?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    not into emo so much but thursday are ok (i think thats emo)..

also some older stuff by rufio and the get up kids. Thursday dont cry at shows no idea about the other two lol :cool:
  • Options
    Get-Up Kids are punk not Emo or at least their old stuff is.

Emo is complete bollocks on the whole. In fact, not just on the whole, completely. It's all about how low you can pull your jeans down and how much you can get your arse to hang out whilst screaming rather than singing over completely incomprehensible guitar chords.

As a musician, I think it's total wank.
  • Options
    It's all about how low you can pull your jeans down and how much you can get your arse to hang out

I see people wandering around like that, it looks utterly stupid.
    Even more stupid than their pointyish hair.
  • Options
    actually the get up kids album with washington square park on it has much more of an emo side to it...their new stuff might be punk but i havent liked that much.

I spose they musnt be emo if u want to like them though :wave:
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    their new stuff might be punk but i havent liked that much.

Please read my post. I said the old stuff was punk. Which it was.
  • Options
    Emo has it's fair share of utter wank, as does any genre, really. It does have a few decent bands though, Taking Back Sunday to name one. They don't look like cunts, either.
  • Options
    How can you NOT call Taking Back Sunday wank?! They're terrible! I saw them when I went to Green Day, and I just sat there bored out of my skull because I couldn't understand a word of it. It was all shouting and...eugh. Terrible.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    How can you NOT call Taking Back Sunday wank?! They're terrible! I saw them when I went to Green Day, and I just sat there bored out of my skull because I couldn't understand a word of it. It was all shouting and...eugh. Terrible.
    Haven't seen them live so I can't comment. They are supposed to be pish, though.

Theres not really any shouting on their CD's. Give a song called A Decade Under The Influence a listen.
  • Options
    They don't look like cunts, either.

unlike you :p
  • Options
    unlike you :p
    Fuck you, you gothy bastard.

Hows Teuchterville? :p
  • Options
    Haven't seen them live so I can't comment. They are supposed to be pish, though.

Theres not really any shouting on their CD's. Give a song called A Decade Under The Influence a listen.
    I would if I was allowed to download anything ;(.

My stepdad made me delete Limewire :crying:.
  • Options
    Fuck you, you gothy bastard.

Hows Teuchterville? :p

:<

i r goff...

teuchterville is fanfuckingtastic <sarcasm>

hows working for the scum?
  • Options
    Please read my post. I said the old stuff was punk. Which it was.

Im referring to the old stuff myself ... i herad one or two of the new ones and those are punk, yes..though i didnt enjoy it much.

This is the album im referring to (with washington square park on it).

The Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile
    (amazon)
    Product Description:
    The album that put this Kansas City, Missouri band on the map as everyone's favorite emo-pop rockers of late, with catchy lyrics, fairly unique and powerful pop-rock composition and an overall sense of energy. They will be touring with Green Day in January, 2001 and Weezer in February. The packaging is a newly designed digipak with new artwork. Originally released in 1997, this CD is a re-mastered reissue. 2000 release.

This definately isnt one of their newer albums, also if you take the time to have a look at the product reviews you will see that the reviewers agree with me...

I guess you stand corrected misguided 1 :)
  • Options
    Emo has it's fair share of utter wank, as does any genre, really. It does have a few decent bands though, Taking Back Sunday to name one. They don't look like cunts, either.

I :heart: Taking Back Sunday.

I don't really understand what emo music is and what isnt but apparently I listen to a lot of it...bands like Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, Death Cab For Cutie, The Postal Service, The Academy Is, Coheed and Cambria, Fightstar...(ps if any of those aren't emo dont shout at me, I'm only going off what I've been told!).

I like a lot of other stuff too though.
  • Options
    I :heart: Taking Back Sunday.

I don't really understand what emo music is and what isnt but apparently I listen to a lot of it...bands like Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, Death Cab For Cutie, The Postal Service, The Academy Is, Coheed and Cambria, Fightstar...(ps if any of those aren't emo dont shout at me, I'm only going off what I've been told!).

I like a lot of other stuff too though.
    Ahh, another Coheed fan. Absolutely fucking amazing band.
  • Options
    Ahh, another Coheed fan. Absolutely fucking amazing band.

Yes! They're amazing...my friend is going to see them versus Thrice, bit jealous even though I don't like Thrice, just wanna see Coheed!
  • Options
    The Postal Service

quality band :thumb:
  • Options
    quality band :thumb:

Definitely. darn I have good music taste sometimes. Even if I do like Mcfly :p

PS Pinkvans, if you're a HxC kinda girl what kind of bands do you like? Just curious!
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I guess you stand corrected misguided 1 :)

Oh yes, put in my place by an Amazon.com review. I feel so small now. If you really wanted to go for the kill, you could have cited a Rolling Stone review or even a Kerrang review. Then I'd really be in tears. Please Mummy, no more reviews from people who haven't a fucking clue what they're talking about. Please! No!!!!!!!!!

Twat.
  • Options
    dont be bitter :lol:
  • Options
    a mixture, pretty much all punk though.

i listen to: the misfits (and glenn danzigs other bands samhain and danzig), suicidal tendencies, agent orange, agnostic front, minor threat, fugazi, SNFU, social distortion, vice squad, NOFX, rise against, black flag, anti -flag, the distillers, the adolescents, the descendents.. to name but a few. some old some new. hey that rhymes :hyper:

ps. before someone says something.. fugazi are not an emo band. so they are (were at the time) experimental punk, but they sure as fook don't sound like emo to me, i wish people would stop tainting them with the emo brush :P
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote:
    a mixture, pretty much all punk though.

Thank you - muse please read.
    pinkvans wrote:
    ps. before someone says something.. fugazi are not an emo band.

All the bands you mentioned are punk! Hooray for proper punk!
    You left out the Dead Kennedys but thankfully left out Rancid because they're crap.

Danzig's solo stuff, particularly with Danzig is fucking ace. And strangely the Misfits stuff they did after he left was really good. Famous Monsters in particular.
  • Options
    I think you will find s/he was referring to her taste in music. :yum:
  • Options
    I can't get involved in the Get Up Kids Debate (woo! sounds so..important) because I have never listened to them. If they're emo, I'm sure I'm not missing much. :p

Rancid aren't really punk anyway I don't think, they're kinda ska, but yeah kinda not very good too -: if you want to listen to ska, listen to less than jake.

Dead Kennedys are pretty good haven't heard any of the reformed stuff though. I did say the stuff I listed was just a selection.. theres a few more bands I like, but really its all punk in some shape or form.

Danzig's such a talented and interesting person, I don't really like much of the newfits stuff - it's just not the same. Helena is a good song though- I think it's on Famous Monsters..

I feel like turning this thread into a "what are your favourite bands thread" now..
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote:
    Danzig's such a talented and interesting person, I don't really like much of the newfits stuff - it's just not the same. Helena is a good song though- I think it's on Famous Monsters..

Glen Danzig is a very talented musician and has a cracking voice.

Famous Monsters has about 10 awesome stand-out tracks. Hunting Humans and Die, Monster, Die are my faves. Some of the harmonies are hauntingly beautiful.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    dont be bitter :lol:

Although I know nothing about the band you're talking about, Thunderstruck has a point. Quoting Amazon reviews to prove a point is like quoting Wikipedia in an essay, i.e. completely futile and pointless if you are trying to prove a point.
  • Options
    Glen Danzig is a very talented musician and has a cracking voice...

Some of the harmonies are hauntingly beautiful.

I've heard him described as the "satanic elvis"...
  • Options
    Although I know nothing about the band you're talking about, Thunderstruck has a point.

I can tell it really pained you to say that!
  • Options
    I can tell it really pained you to say that!

:no: Why would it?
  • Options
    Dunno, most people do feel like that way when they agree with me. Especially when it comes to music.