Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ovens That Never Turn Off

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't worry about using electrical appliances and wasting power. Anything that cooks food for me, or warms my flat is never wasted.
    It does if you have to pay the bill for the electricity and gas

If I'm gonna switch the oven on I'm not going to just put one small item in it just for myself ... I'll make sure I'm putting in several items

Of course at uni we had our bills included in the rent so that was less of a worry but if you're paying the bills at home then who wouldn't think about it.

I have to think about it, as I pay the bills. Doesn't stop me from cooking anything.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    bongbudda wrote:
    recently got a cubic metre of good hardwood (largely oak) for £40 delivered.

That's quite dear I think.

We get our wood from different people all the time so the price changes. We buy a lot from the local cackers as they all seem to be into tree surgery and landscaping and it's always cheap, but we very rarely buy from proper suppliers.

£40 worth of logs would last us a couple of weeks, I don't now what weight or volume of logs that is I'm afraid, it's not how we buy it. You can close the Aga right down so it burns very slowly through the day.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    That's quite dear I think.

We get our wood from different people all the time so the price changes. We buy a lot from the local cackers as they all seem to be into tree surgery and landscaping and it's always cheap, but we very rarely buy from proper suppliers.

£40 worth of logs would last us a couple of weeks, I don't now what weight or volume of logs that is I'm afraid, it's not how we buy it. You can close the Aga right down so it burns very slowly through the day.

Remember of course I'm in London, so I guess I'm paying a bit over the odds, I'd say its a good few hundred kilo's worth.
    I pay my bills too, but I wouldn't go hungry just because I was worried about using electricity to cook something. I see your point though, I'd try and cook at the same time as my flatmates, but if there was no one around I wouldn't just think oh well I can't have pizza then.