Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drug crime

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    And do you realise that it won't stop the other addicts who's drugs have not been legalised from commiting crime?

Yes because cannabis and E users are evil criminals who need to commit crime to get that next fix :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Walkindude wrote:
    Ana dthere is an unlimited suply is there?

Yes.
    Walkindude wrote:
    What if the addict wants more then the doctor will give?

The adict will get what he/she needs. Why would they want more?
    Walkindude wrote:
    What will they do in drug altered states?

What do you think they'll do?
    Walkindude wrote:
    And do you realise that it won't stop the other addicts who's drugs have not been legalised from commiting crime?

But it would cut all crime linked to herion addiction. Any cut in crime is a good thing surely.
    Walkindude wrote:
    And what kidn of message is it to give an addict their supply? hand it over, government sponsered?

A message that it isn't a crime to be an addict.

I'm still waiting on your solution to the probelm of drug crime?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    drugs are not unlimited.

Doctors will nto prescibe over doses at their discreation, if the addict wants more then tough.

A crime cut is great. At what cost? If you kileld evry person that commits a crim then you have 0% re-offending rate and cut crime. Does it make it a good idea?

So being an addict is a good thing then?

I never said I had the answers.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    drugs are not unlimited.

Doctors will nto prescibe over doses at their discreation, if the addict wants more then tough.

A crime cut is great. At what cost? If you kileld evry person that commits a crim then you have 0% re-offending rate and cut crime. Does it make it a good idea?

And an addict who wants more of a drug that's illegal isn't going to take more anyway?

:banghead: You said you did organised crime in uni and you think killing all criminals will eradicate crime.

Who the fuck said being an addict was a good thing?

Puberty must be a tough thing, all these hormones, making you say such stupid things...i'm here for you mate.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Who's talking about killing addicts?
    Walkindude wrote:

Of course not, but it shouldn't be a crime either. It's an medical condition.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I never said I had the answers.

Well what do we do carry on liek we are now?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    there is only so much of any drug that anyone would actualy want.
    when cannabis and heroin and opium were legal ...guess what? very few problems.
    yes some people will screw up ...their choice their downfall i'm afraid.
    since the year dot man has sought altered states of mind ....why is it now illegal to do this?
    i'm smoking a little spliff now ...do you believe i should actualy be treated as if i'm commiting a criminal act ...if so why?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    And it really doesn't cover the costs of all the smoking related diseases actually.

:banghead:

I don;t see why I'm arguing with you when you quite clearly have your head up your arse.

Some of the attitudes in this thread make me sad...

People on herion smell? One line of charlie and you an addict?

:(
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

So coke really is not addictive at all

What do you mean by addictive? Its not as simple as it first looks. Which model of addiction do you subscribe to btw?
  • Options
    The Canadian government have basicaly told the people they are no longer bothered about weed but can't get out of certain international treaties.
    so ...instead of legalising it they have turned a big blind eye and said if you want to smoke it buy it sell it grow it ...just do it.
    The Americans even threatened to close the border.

the result?
    canadas biggest export is now cannabis.
    not a drug cartel in sight.
    farmers and families doing what they should always have been allowed to do.
  • Options
    Heroin is something of a phony war, diamorphine or morphine as precribed by the NHS as a pain surpressant is essentialy safe within dosage limits. If educated many patients are allowed self mediction of the stuff, it is dirty needles, contaminated heroin (gangrene, infections) and over doses which kill.
  • Options
    Heroin is something of a phony war, diamorphine or morphine as precribed by the NHS as a pain surpressant is essentialy safe within dosage limits. If educated many patients are allowed self mediction of the stuff, it is dirty needles, contaminated heroin (gangrene, infections) and over doses which kill.
    also 99% of the heroin available has been manufactured for smoking and not injecting ...having to break the stuff down with an acid to make it injectable...such as vinegar doesn't help.
  • Options
    im sorry but i think some the arguments walkindude had given are very valid. by making heroin legal the only crime you're cutting is the what you've just made legal. and i think he meant killing all the offenders was hypothetical. as in if you killed them all ther wudnt be any crime, therefore abolishing the law means that it is not possible to break it. (yeh, i have bad expression)

and if you put it on prescription, you have to get addicted soemhow. one of you has said that you won't justbe able to walk into the doctors and say 'i'd like soem heroin', so where would the addiction start? from buying it on the black market!

and about the smell, i'm not pretending i'm clued up on this matter and know what heroin smells like. its just i have smelled that smell before and have taken it to be the smell of a druggy. and it smell clinicals but dank and slightly musty. and whoever made the somment about swabbing with alcohol, i never even knew that people said that.

i think you guys are all blinded. you're all like 'yeh i've lived the life, i know everything' but have you thought of the other people if affects. you know i lost a friend because her bfs a pusher. he's not a dealer as such, he's just got connection and takes your money and you smoke the stuff with him and then he ends up taking it home before you even realise what's happened. i know its not heroin, but just to back up what walkindude is saying about losing a mate over money and stuff.
  • Options
  • Options
    drugs is jsut the way these peopel chose to ruin themselves. it could be alcohol, or something else i cant think of... but yeah, it depends on the person, i mean yes some drugs and get u hooked from the first try. But i believe it depends on the person if it ruins you or not. Just because you an addict doesnt mean your a tramp with no money or home.
  • Options
    and if you put it on prescription, you have to get addicted soemhow. one of you has said that you won't justbe able to walk into the doctors and say 'i'd like soem heroin', so where would the addiction start? from buying it on the black market!

An addict who keeps running into the law because they have to commit crime to pay for their addiction becomes a registered addict, somebody who would be eligible for a prescription.
    and about the smell, i'm not pretending i'm clued up on this matter and know what heroin smells like. its just i have smelled that smell before and have taken it to be the smell of a druggy. and it smell clinicals but dank and slightly musty. and whoever made the somment about swabbing with alcohol, i never even knew that people said that.

Continuing with this just makes you look more and more stupid. I'd give it up if I were you.
    i think you guys are all blinded. you're all like 'yeh i've lived the life, i know everything' but have you thought of the other people if affects. you know i lost a friend because her bfs a pusher. he's not a dealer as such, he's just got connection and takes your money and you smoke the stuff with him and then he ends up taking it home before you even realise what's happened. i know its not heroin, but just to back up what walkindude is saying about losing a mate over money and stuff.

Again, you havn't got a clue have you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    i mean yes some drugs and get u hooked from the first try.

No no no!

Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    not hooked as in reliant on them, hooked as in u want them. some peopel arent strong enuff to overcome that urge.
  • Options
    That heroin is addictive is a fact. Heroin is not however, instantly or even nearly instantly addictive (neither is crack cocaine or any other substance). This idea is based upon a fundamental misunderstanding of addiction and the supposed power of
    the drug. Research consistently shows that becoming addicted to any drug takes time, usually at least 2-3 months (often much longer) where the user builds up to regular daily use. No drug has the power to instantly addict a user. This is a myth which often gets reinvented by the media (often due to authorities such as the police or politicians making such a statement) each time a `new' drug comes on the scene (witness 'crack', 'ice'). Usually the new drug is not a new drug at all.

http://www.drugscope.org.uk/DS%20Media%20Project/media_heroin.htm
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I did organised crime module in uni and I had to cover the drugs history so I do know.

Have you met drug abusers though?

The law and the reality are two entirely different things.

Most drug abusers steal to get enough money to buy drugs. Cut out the dealer ratcheting up the price, and you lose the theft, and you lose the gangland violence.

I think I've said before that I work for a criminal law solicitor. We'd lose half our caseload if drugs were available on prescription, and nobody can argue that is anything but a good thing.

Take a simple case of dealing to a friend. You give a mate some brown, and that's dealing. So you have two solicitors working at £50ph, you have two barristers working at £50ph, you have a judge at £100ph, you have a clerk on £25ph, and the costs of the jury and court. You have the cost of prison for five years if convicted. What does that achieve? Nothing.

The cost of heroin on prescription is more than outweighed by the cost of all these people locked up in prison for persistent theft or burglary.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    not hooked as in reliant on them, hooked as in u want them.

How is that any different than any food or activity you've enjoyed.

Once I ate a kebab knew I wanted to have one again sometime. Kebabs are addictive obviously.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    it isnt, thats the point. however, the further chasing that high, will get you addicted. But when you reach that point, the strengh of person, weither they can say its getting out of hand, im guna stop, or be wreckless, and carry on
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think I've said before that I work for a criminal law solicitor. We'd lose half our caseload if drugs were available on prescription, and nobody can argue that is anything but a good thing.

:yes:

Another man who's got experience with drug crime! And who I think doesn't use drugs.

Walkindude seems to believe that us drug users are taking this line because we've got an intrest in it. Well that's bollocks. We have simply got a more realistic view.

These people who think that telling others that drugs are bad will stop them using are deluding themselves. History has shown this. Your arguments for keeping things how they are are just plain stupid.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    it isnt, thats the point. however, the further chasing that high, will get you addicted. But when you reach that point, the strengh of person, weither they can say its getting out of hand, im guna stop, or be wreckless, and carry on

You said some drugs will get you hooked the first time you try them. That is rubbish.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    :yes:

Another man who's got experience with drug crime! And who I think doesn't use drugs..

I sometimes smoke pot, but very rarely. I don't like tobacco.

Prosecuting all these people costs a lot of money, more than people think. Making addicts steal and deal to fund themselves is a waste of time, and damages society far more than prescription drugs would.

Most criminal defence lawyers I speak to feel the same. And that's even after the druggies are our most reliable clients.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

just try and open your eyes and look at the other point of view.

i can see yours, why can't you see mine. and i'm not saying i believe in what i say either i'm just acknowledging what walkindude has said.

and you havent answerred how ppl would get addicted in the first place when they cant just walk into their doctors and ask for a prescription! ffs this is infuriating. and i'm not pretending i know every fucking thing about drugs and heroin addiction and what fucking skag smells like i'm just making opinions on the people i've met and the experiences i've had. and my experiences are more common in this world than yours. a lot of people don't even see why trying drugs would be fun, they like the control they have over their own lives, so to call people ignorant just because they haven't had an addiction. maybe they don't want a fucking addiction and maybe they have a relative whos had an addiction and its completely fucked up their life and their families lives and so hate the fucking thought of drugs. are you saying these people should want to legalise the drug that killed their daughter, or sister, or mother? no

my auntie is a social worker and goes and takes the kids to see their heroin addicted mothers. what are those kids gonna grow up to be like? just because some people can hold down a job as a doctor whilst their addicted doesn't mean people from council estates where from the moment their born they have little hope in their lives can. look at the bigger picture. the world isn't you and you're little world of having to have a fucking spliff before you go to sleep at night. can't you see its sad and pathetic that you have to have something in your life to make it worth living. just look at the fucking trees and the animals and nature and how fucking amazing it is. look at the relationship you have with your parents, these two amazing people who will love you no matter what. why do you need a drug to love you or your love of a drug to see you through life.

i don't mind the occasional dabble in drugs. i like the profound experiences you can encounter, but i also get that enjoyment from just sitting cuddling my boyfriend or looking at the stars when you're lying on the beach on an island in the middle of nowhere. ffs love is not synthetically made
  • Options
    and you havent answerred how ppl would get addicted in the first place when they cant just walk into their doctors and ask for a prescription!

Exactly. I would be a lot more difficult to come into contact with the drug.
    and my experiences are more common in this world than yours.

:lol: Miss street wise.

a lot of people don't even see why trying drugs would be fun, they like the control they have over their own lives

Adn people who use drugs for fun have less control over their lives?

so to call people ignorant just because they haven't had an addiction.

No. You're just ignorant to reality. People that smell of heroin? :lol:
    can't you see its sad and pathetic that you have to have something in your life to make it worth living.

Because for me as a user drugs make life worth living? :lol: You get worse with every bit of jank that exits your gob.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    have u ever considered, that drugs for people is just a normal part of ur life, like u cuddle ur bf, someone else will do some drgs. they arent reliant, they dont need. it sjust something they do. like poeple drink or smoke.
  • Options
    and whoever made the somment about swabbing with alcohol, .
    i was joking.

as for those supporting legalisation = some control ....not listening to the views of those against ...think why.
    we have a forty year old drugs war which has completely failed.
    we can see the joys and the disasters all around us.

the legal situation has left us with an ever growing number of addicts.
    being illegal means the only controls regarding distribution and purity are left in the hands of terrorists smugglers murderers dealers ...a whole line of people who don't obey the rules ...they make their own up along the way and rarely stick to them.

legalisation will not produce paradise ...is not the perfect solution but it is a step away from the disster that has been created so far.
    us legalisers tend to look at the reality of the many situations.
    what do you think about canadas approach to cannabis and its results?
    what do you think of hollands approach to heroin and the results?
    the results in holland are ...the average age of addicts are in their late forties early fifties ...meaning fewer and fewer young people being drawn in ...they aint interested.
    the addicts are people who started 30 years ago.
    our approach to heroin is one of the stiffest in europe ...more and more younfg people are taking the stuff ...it gets ever cheaper.

who's doing the right thing?
    do you honestly believe leaving powerful intoxicants in the hands of killers and thieves is a sensible idea?
    if not ...you must see there has to be some drastic changes in our approach to drugs use and supply.

or do we just leave it as it is?
  • Options
    its a delicate situation. any attempt to make it better might just make it a whole lot worse.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    its a delicate situation. any attempt to make it better might just make it a whole lot worse.
    so we just do nothing but watch the problem get bigger and bigger and ignore the chief constables and politicians who are crying out for legalisation.
    ignore the sucsess of other countries.
    standing still and fiddling is what this country does best ...afraid of change.