Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The lads mags

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    My sister has become a lap dancer and she loves it, both the money and the power that comes with the job.

That's her choice and good luck to her. However, what choice does my sister have when she sees images of sexually objectified women shoved in her face wherever she goes?
    Skive wrote:
    Women have always used their looks as a tool I don't see how these women who expolit it are any worse than the lads who fall for it.

Do you think men and women are equal in this society? That they have equal power?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you think men and women are equal in this society? That they have equal power?

I think men and women have differing levels of equality in different areas. I don't think it always swings the way of the male either.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I think men and women have differing levels of equality in different areas. I don't think it always swings the way of the male either.

Men and women arn't equal though. Should they be treated as such?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

I think where ever it is appropriate they should be, yes.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

They are equal, and should be treated as such.

You're confusing equality with being identical.

2+2 = 4, but so does 3+1. They're both equal.
  • Options
    I think where ever it is appropriate they should be, yes.

I agree that they should in areas where there are no differences.

Areas where there are differences should be ignored for the sake of equality though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You're confusing equality with being identical.

There are clear difference between the sexes in a lot of areas, therefore the're not equal in everything.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    There are clear difference between the sexes in a lot of areas, therefore the're not equal in everything.

You're confusing equality with being the same.

You can have clear differences and still be equal. Unless you're arguing that men/women aren't people...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    MR is missing the point, I suspect wilfully.
    ssshhhh!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You're confusing equality with being the same.

You can have clear differences and still be equal. Unless you're arguing that men/women aren't people...

My sister as a lap dancer enjoys being objectified, it gives her a power over us blokes.

It's not just men who are responsible for onbectifying women, it's the women themselves. They know us blokes are mugs for it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't follow your train of thought.

Worse in what way? In potential outcome? Probably. Difficult to say though without a context.

You've said many times in this thread to look at the womens views on this thread.

Yes, that's my point. A harmless grope is unlikely to manifest itself into something maliscious. So a grope, by any sex isn't that bad.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You've said many times in this thread to look at the womens views on this thread.

I still don't follow.
    turlough wrote:
    Yes, that's my point. A harmless grope is unlikely to manifest itself into something maliscious. So a grope, by any sex isn't that bad.

I suggest you're only saying that 'cos you're a bloke.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    My sister as a lap dancer enjoys being objectified, it gives her a power over us blokes.

Good for her.

But what about the many more women who don't want to be?

I don't think the women who take their kit off in mags or clubs are doing it unwillingly, or that they don't enjoy it, and I don't think there's anything wrong with admiring some naked flesh.

But the mags, IMHO, go far beyond simply admiring a bit of naked flesh.

You are still mixing up equality and sameness.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I still don't follow.

I suggest you're only saying that 'cos you're a bloke.

You're using historical contexts to make out that a grope on a women is something worse than a grope on a man.

How many gropes turn out to be something more dangerous, next to none I suggest.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You're using historical contexts to make out that a grope on a women is something worse than a grope on a man.

That's a very simplistic way of putting it, but yes.
    turlough wrote:
    How many gropes turn out to be something more dangerous, next to none I suggest.

Not the point. How does it make the woman feel?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not the point. How does it make the woman feel?

How does it make the men feel?

You know rightly, that in 99% of the cases, it's the women who chooses if she goes out with the man and sleeps with them. I can equally say women grope men because they know they can get away with it and tease them. Just as much as you say men grope women because they have more power over them.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    How does it make the men feel?

Quite differently to how it makes women feel IME.
    turlough wrote:
    You know rightly, that in 99% of the cases, it's the women who chooses if she goes out with the man and sleeps with them.

:confused:
    turlough wrote:
    I can equally say women grope men because they know they can get away with it and tease them. Just as much as you say men grope women because they have more power over them.

Its not the same. It just isn't. Women don't rape men, don't sexually abuse them, don't pressurre them into sex, don't (as much) beat them up, earn more money, get presented as sex objects etc etc.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not the same. It just isn't. Women don't rape men, don't sexually abuse them, don't pressurre them into sex, don't (as much) beat them up, earn more money, get presented as sex objects etc etc.

And how many rapists are there out there? Very few.

In a situation in a niteclub or pub where a man gropes a women and woman gropes a man, I'd say it's pretty much the same

ETA:How many times has a girl asked you for permission to have sex with her?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And how many rapists are there out there? Very few.

More than you'd think I bet. See the recent thread about convictions for rape etc. But that's not the point - women don't rape men. Men rape women. There is a difference in power. Its not whether the groper is a rapist - its about how it makes the woman feel. Most women I speak to says it makes them feel really fucking angry. Most men don't feel like that.
    turlough wrote:
    In a situation in a niteclub or pub where a man gropes a women and woman gropes a man, I'd say it's pretty much the same

From talking to my partner and my female friends, looking at the posts from some of the women on this thread, I'd completely and utterly disagree.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

ETA:How many times has a girl asked you for permission to have sex with her?

Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    More than you'd think I bet. See the recent thread about convictions for rape etc. But that's not the point - women don't rape men. Men rape women. There is a difference in power. Its not whether the groper is a rapist - its about how it makes the woman feel. Most women I speak to says it makes them feel really fucking angry. Most men don't feel like that.

From talking to my partner and my female friends, looking at the posts from some of the women on this thread, I'd completely and utterly disagree.

Women can rape men...it's just stupidly rare.

How is it really that different.

Just take an example, a group of girls walk by you grope one on the bum, she either A)turns round, slaps you or gives angry face or B)flirts back

With a man it's either A)feels shy, walks on, B)tries to get it on with the girl, however, she has the entire control of how that goes further, she could either laugh at him and tell him to go away, or continue.

Both cases represent some sort of power control, one physical, one not.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Women can rape men...it's just stupidly rare.

Can they? Really? If it does happen, then, as you say, its stupidly rare. So my point still stands.
    turlough wrote:
    How is it really that different.

Are you serious?
    turlough wrote:
    Just take an example, a group of girls walk by you grope one on the bum, she either A)turns round, slaps you or gives angry face or B)flirts back

I wouldn't know, never having been the type of sleaze that does that sort of shit.
    turlough wrote:
    With a man it's either A)feels shy, walks on, B)tries to get it on with the girl, however, she has the entire control of how that goes further, she could either laugh at him and tell him to go away, or continue.

Do you think that, in general, the man being groped is going to feel worse or the woman? If you think its the same, try asking around.
    turlough wrote:
    Both cases represent some sort of power control, one physical, one not.

No, its not the same. For the reasons stated.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Can they? Really? If it does happen, then, as you say, its stupidly rare. So my point still stands.

Are you serious?

I wouldn't know, never having been the type of sleaze that does that sort of shit.

Do you think that, in general, the man being groped is going to feel worse or the woman? If you think its the same, try asking around.

No, its not the same. For the reasons stated.

Yes they can, it usually happens when the male is drunk.

Yes, i'm not saying the two situations are the exact same but relatively similar.

Why do you pass judgement when you've never experienced it then?

It can be the same, especially when the women laughs at the man afterwards, i.e. just teasing. Plus I know many girls would take a grope as a compliment. I varies from person to person.

Well I think they're similar, for the reasons stated.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Yes, i'm not saying the two situations are the exact same but relatively similar.

Really? You think that the extreme rarity of women raping men (I still can't figure that out) is the same as men raping women? Seriously? :eek:
    turlough wrote:
    Why do you pass judgement when you've never experienced it then?

Experienced what? Being a sleazy shitbag?
    turlough wrote:
    It can be the same, especially when the women laughs at the man afterwards, i.e. just teasing. Plus I know many girls would take a grope as a compliment. I varies from person to person.

Yes, it varies from person to person, which is why I said "in general". In general it is not the same
    turlough wrote:
    Well I think they're similar, for the reasons stated.

You haven't stated any reasons.
  • Options
    Crazy, the mention of someone "enjoying being objectified" (paraphrased).

A woman might enjoy the power she holds over a man as a result of him objectifying her. But to say someone enjoys their intelligence being disregarded and their being treated as non-human (i.e. vegetable or mineral) just baffles me.

Anyway...

I couldn't stomach reading this entire thread, so I read the first few and the last few...apologies if I missed anyone's profound thoughts on the matter.

Everything Kermit said about the sinister side of these mags is exactly what I think about the whole matter. Behind the glossy blonde hair and Saline implants there's a very destructive message, for males and females. I find it all a bit weird and disturbing, but I try not to think about it too much.

Oh yeah, and "Win a Boob Job for your Girlfriend" is reprehensible. Which depraved mind thinks of that kind of thing?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Really? You think that the extreme rarity of women raping men (I still can't figure that out) is the same as men raping women? Seriously? :eek:

Experienced what? Being a sleazy shitbag?

Yes, it varies from person to person, which is why I said "in general". In general it is not the same

You haven't stated any reasons.

Now blag, quote me where I said they were the same. I just said it happens.

No, if you've never groped a girl how do you know the reasons why other blokes do it?

I have stated reasons, are you blind?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

thats a ridiculous statement to make about rape. and i'm starting to wonder whether you are just trying to win the debate here or you really are an ignorant fool.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Now blag, quote me where I said they were the same. I just said it happens.

No, if you've never groped a girl how do you know the reasons why other blokes do it?

I have stated reasons, are you blind?

See the post above yours? See the posts from other women on the thread? That tell you anything?

Domestic violence statistics
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    thats a ridiculous statement to make about rape. and i'm starting to wonder whether you are just trying to win the debate here or you really are an ignorant fool.

Women can rape men.

And I'm not talking about rape being the same, I'm talking about groping someone.
  • Options