Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ovens That Never Turn Off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My cousin was telling me about his friend's old fashioned Oven which never switched off, after you first turn it on it takes like 3 days to reach it's cooking tempreture but once it's at optimum power it just needs a little fuel to maintain it - like £1 a day's worth and can even heat the water for your baths as well.

To me this sounds like broadband (as oposed to dial up), ... always on ..use as much as you want.

Imagine you want just 1 jacket potatoe in a normal oven you'd probabaly think - oh I'm wasting so much energy - but if the thing is alway on anway you might as well just chuck in a potatoe .. sounds kinda heavenly to me .. anyone got one of these types of ovens?

Only downside is I can imagine people would eat a lot more.

400x400c_spec55.jpg

Comments

• Options
    most people that have them also have a normal oven, but they were one of the must have yuppie accessories.

Because they work on stored heat you have to be careful of the heating demands you place upon them - you can't boil potatoes on the hotplate, you have to do them in the simmering oven....

but they're great for traditional english fare such as stews and hotpots.
  • Options
    my cousins got one and my ex sister in law, but my cousin hates hers and is getting rid of it.
  • Options
    Isnt this just an old fashioned Aga?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    That's what I thought when i first looked at it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    hence the use of the brand name "Aga" in various parts of the illustration.
  • Options
    my cousins got one and my ex sister in law, but my cousin hates hers and is getting rid of it.

Why does she hate it?

I hear there is a waitinglist for good condition 2nd hand units - seeing as brand new these things start at £5,000
  • Options
    On an interesting side note, my aunt used to run an Aga shop selling loads of branded cooking bits and bobs at hugely marked up prices.
  • Options
    My nan used to have one of those but she moved house. Her cooking hasn't been the same since :(
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Agas, especially when they're used to heat the kitchen, I think they're stifling.
  • Options
    No offence Diamondgeezer, but what was the point of this thread, Aga's are well known.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    We've got a solid fuel Aga, though it's not because we're yuppies, a lot of the hpuses round here have them. It's an excellent bit of kit though a bit of more work than gas or oil, we have to get logs from the gypsies.

Hot water even during power cuts though. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You've never heard of a Aga before DiamondGeezer? Come on, they're ancient!

And my stepmum has TWO in her holiday home.
  • Options
    I love Aga's, hope to have one one day
  • Options
    first time i've ever heard of them
  • Options
    Aga's are well nice, but it's nice to have an electric grill and gas hobs too though...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Gavman wrote:
    first time i've ever heard of them
    Same... I want one now though.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Aga's are well nice, but it's nice to have an electric grill and gas hobs too though...

Yeeaahh to cook my pasta n sauces on that's totally what gas hobs were invented for :D
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Yeeaahh to cook my pasta n sauces on that's totally what gas hobs were invented for :D

and noodles..............
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No offence Diamondgeezer, but what was the point of this thread, Aga's are well known.

The point was to hear people's personal opinions of these since I have no experience of one of these. And also I figured these kind of cookers may be more popular up north then compared to London.

I hadn't even heard of one of these until a few days ago and the whole concept of an always on oven was intriging .. also I wanted to kow if food really did taste better cos I kow for sure jacket potatoes in the Microwave are nothing like the ones in a standard oven!!
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    Noodels! Yes! Woot
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    Noodels! Yes! Woot

That was the LONGEST 30 seconds ever
  • Options
    I hadn't even heard of one of these until a few days ago and the whole concept of an always on oven was intriging ..

It isn't just an oven, it's our central heating aswell. That's why the bastards are always on during the winter. In the summer our doesn't get used as much.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    more popular up north then compared to London.

It depends on if you count rural southern areas as "up north" or not.
  • Options
    You've never heard of a Aga before DiamondGeezer? Come on, they're ancient!

And my stepmum has TWO in her holiday home.

I've seen pictures of ones before but I never knew they were always on!!!

I'd be pigging out so much if I had one of those, pizza's every night!!! :thumb:

Jacket Potatoes, fresh homemade Bread, cookies, :yum:
  • Options
    I've seen pictures of ones before but I never knew they were always on!!!

They're no always on though.

During the summer when you don't need your central heating they'e off.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    They're no always on though.

During the summer when you don't need your central heating they'e off.

How do you cook on them if they're turned off?

Aint the cooking bit and heating bit seperate enough that you can turn one on and the other off?
  • Options
    How do you cook on them if they're turned off?

You don't 'turn' them off, you just stop putting fuel in them.
    Aint the cooking bit and heating bit seperate enough that you can turn one on and the other off?

Not really. There are various way to control the heat of both the oven and central heating but really when ones on so is the other.

In the summer there's no point in having the central heating on so firing it up just for cooking is a bit of a work up, so generally we don't.

We of course have a solid fuel one. With the oil and gas ones the oven an central heating are a lot more seperate. Same goes for Rayburns which are similar to Agas.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'd be pigging out so much if I had one of those, pizza's every night!!! :thumb:

Jacket Potatoes, fresh homemade Bread, cookies, :yum:

Does the thought of wasting energy actually stop you from cooking what you want to usually? I find that a bit weird... I mean if I wanted to pop a pizza in the oven, I'd never think oh no I can't, I'll be wasting electricity...
  • Options
    Does the thought of wasting energy actually stop you from cooking what you want to usually? I find that a bit weird... I mean if I wanted to pop a pizza in the oven, I'd never think oh no I can't, I'll be wasting electricity...

It does if you have to pay the bill for the electricity and gas

If I'm gonna switch the oven on I'm not going to just put one small item in it just for myself ... I'll make sure I'm putting in several items

Of course at uni we had our bills included in the rent so that was less of a worry but if you're paying the bills at home then who wouldn't think about it.
  • Options
    I'm always surprised by what people dont know on here, how can you not have heard of an Aga?

Skive; How much do you pay for your wood, I recently got a cubic metre of good hardwood (largely oak) for £40 delivered.