Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The lads mags

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    You can perve without acting like you're shopping for a new watch.

If you're perving and just wanting a shag then you aren't going to care, least of all joking with your pals. Blame the sexual revolution if you're looking for a reason, not FHM & co.
  • Options
    people as objects and tools to be used is as old as the hills.
    whole societies condemmed to the mines or the fields for lots of other people to make off ...at least things have cheered up somewhat in the area of objectification.
    looking for mountains where theres only molehills i reckon.

just been for a pint in the local ...full of the kinds of blokes who are guilty.
    tonight ...the place was almost silent ...cos we were all watching the tsunami programme insteag of the barmaids arse.
    there were moist eyes all around at the despair of the people who have suffered and are still suffering ...very human men ...very caring ...not too damaged after all.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you're perving and just wanting a shag then you aren't going to care, least of all joking with your pals. Blame the sexual revolution if you're looking for a reason, not FHM & co.

You can admire the scenery without viewing each woman as merchandise to be picked off the shelf.

The problem isn't that FHM put pictures of good looking girls in their magazine, nowt wrong with a nice bit of eye candy. But FHM go beyond this, and they actually positively market the girls as merchandise to be bought, used and discarded.

That shows in how some men treat women in pubs and clubs- that no isn't an answer, and that if she says no she's wrong. I know rape and sexual abuse seem a long way from a laugh about a bird from Hollyoaks, but they aren't- by making the objectification socially acceptable, they are bringing rape- especially drug "date" rape- to the surface far more.

Not all men who read FHM and like admiring the scenery in a club are going to do this, but objectification demeans people, and makes forced consumption more likely and more prevalent. IT also makes attitudes to rape far worse- a girl who is drunk obviously wants it.

I don't think the lads mags are the first to objectify, but the point is that they do perpetuate it, and make it far more socially accepted. The lads mags make the objectification hard-wired in society, and that is a really quite dangerous thing to happen.
  • Options
    over sensitive and even over imaginative come to mind thinking about this thread.

yes the society we have built is rotten and dangerous in many respects but ...
    you lot and me ...are living in the most amazing of times.
    my parents and their parents before them ...went through hell.
    wars and rationing and prison camps ...very brutal and impoverished and dangerous times indeed. no terrorist threats ...just bombs raining down on your houses and factories every day ...for years.
    most of the world is in great pain and hunger but here in fantasy world ...the land of to much of everything ...we have to look for bogeymen under the bed.
    is this how every society collapses in on itself?
    spoilt rotten ...pampered ...ungrateful ...selfish ...
    to clean to well fed.
  • Options
    over sensitive and even over imaginative come to mind thinking about this thread.

:yes:
  • Options
  • Options
    how about returning to our roots ...start dragging women about by the hair and clubbing them half a dozen times a day?
    UGG!
  • Options
    You don't think that a subconscious statement is actually an accurate reflection of society's values?

Do you think it's acceptable for men to behave in this way? It's certainly coming across as though you don't think it will ever change.

No I don't think there's much wrong with that. It reflects snippets of popular culture at the time. Not how the male mind works all the time.

I don't think there's much wrong as long as they don't step over the line and do something harmful.
  • Options
    binge drinking groping drug fueled men roaming the streets ...glad i moved to the hills.
    sounds pretty bad in the metropolis.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The point is about the objectification of women. The point is that the media is increasingly treating and describing people as merchandise- you have to have the right car, you have to have the right watch, you have to have the right suit, and you have to have the right bird.

Yes, and you also need the right man. What's your point?

Most humans, male and female, don't fall for any of the shit they see in the mags, we're capable enough of being kind and gentle with the opposite sex ourselves and no mags, lad or otherwise, are going to change that...despite what it may be telling us. Unhealthy, maybe, dangerous, no.
  • Options
    I think you'd both feel differently if you were female.

Why?

Don't you think we don't get that with female mags aswell and all the fit mens bodies in it. The amount of times me and my mates have been shunned by girls and laughed at is unreal, even though being courteous at the same time. Still don't yap about it, chin up and move on.
  • Options
    no one has mentioned the sexual initiations that factory women put young teenage lads through ...or the endless sexualy humiliating behaviour these women dish out to these lads.
    happens now and always has.
    i think you've all gone soft in the head.
    come back reality ...
  • Options
    its funny.

In this months issue of FHM, there is a big article, that features these 4 young women who invited FHM to go out with them and see that they ghet up to on a night. The oldest is 21, the youngest 19. I won't write out the entire article but basically its this. These girls drink a bit before hand then go out, then scan the bar for blokes and but the girl on girl action show and pull a couple of blokes. They all take a guy back to have sex with except one of them, the youngest one. They say its a regular occurance and they have their own pull and shag league table they make though they then claim they don't always have sex, tho it seem to me they did. They claim that they are now the dominet ones on the look out and quite predetory looking for blokes, although they seem to have a varied list of what they want. They claim they are no different to the majority of girls int he country who do this kind of thing al the time.

Far from being th victims of gropers anmd men on the search for meaningles sex, they are the ones that are doing this trick. To quote one of them, she pulled a guy, shagged him senseless then doesn't plan on talking to him or contacting him again.

Then this morning on a feature about date rape, the women expert, detective whoever she was said to not go home with guys but take their number and see them again when your compeletly sober.
  • Options
    And more spectacularly missing the point goes on.

:banghead:

There is nothing wrong with eyeing up pretty people in a bar. Magazines showing naked flesh isn't the issue.

Walkindude, what are you on about? Women want sex for fun too shocker!

The point is about what social norms these magazines hardwire. They reduce people to objects to be consumed. If you don't think that objectification of people is a problem then fine, but you are wrong.

And before some brainiac says it, wanting a one night stand with a girl isn't the same as treating her like a can of coke.
  • Options
    objectifying is wrong...if it actually takes place....
  • Options
    The point is about what social norms these magazines hardwire. They reduce people to objects to be consumed. If you don't think that objectification of people is a problem then fine, but you are wrong.

These norms don't come from magazines. They come from city living. You have no choice but to completely dehumanise everyone else if you live in a city or large town. You would never get anything done if you didn't.

Yes it's a problem. Yes it's wrong. It's got fuck all to do with mags like FHM though. It's not even really just to do with sex either. It's to do with seeing hundreds of thousands of faces you'll never clap eyes on again as you go about your daily life. People point out that beggars get walked past.....well...so does everyone else in the crowd. To activate that part of your mind in a few other areas of your life isn't such a big jump.

How valuable is that attractive stranger in a sea of attractive strangers?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And why do you think men do this? Because they're twats or is there a deeper social reason behind it, I think you'll find the latter applies.

Yes, there's a deeper social reason. Lads mags are a part of it, more of a symptom than a cause, but they have an influence. Take notice of what the women on this thread are saying.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There has been a gigantic amount of point misage on this thread.

The point is not about putting up a few pictures of a two-bit celeb in a thong bikini, and then printing a few made up letters about how the nurse blew the entire ward whilst doing the okey-cokey.

The point is about the objectification of women. The point is that the media is increasingly treating and describing people as merchandise- you have to have the right car, you have to have the right watch, you have to have the right suit, and you have to have the right bird. People are being treated as commodities to be acquired, and that should concern all of us. No, of course its not new, but it is something that is getting more prevalent again, and that isn't good.

Superficially these mags are a good laugh, a bit of fun. There's nowt wrong with ogling some good-looking girl in a bikini.

The problem is that it is beyond "ooh, look at the rack on that". It goes beyond admiring the scenery in a pub on a night out. It is defining people as objects- look at the lack of difference between how these magazines describe the new Ferrari and how they describe people, especially women.

Superficially it's all just a laugh. But beyond that, it hard-wires social norms, and makes the objectification of people socially acceptable. The media sets the social and political agenda just as much as the social and political agenda sets the media.

I aren't being some woolly PC person, I love looking at some fit bird in a bikini as much as the next man, but the fact that people are being ground down into their asthetic components, like how you'd describe and treat a Lotus, should concern people. IT concerns me that people are being treated like cars, and that the media is making this behaviour not just socially accepted, but socially desirable. It should concern everyone.

It bothers me that anyone who is concerned by it is labelled a woolly sandal-wearing liberal PC nutter. They aren't. If you can't see how people are being objectified so much then that's a concern.

spot on
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why?

Don't you think we don't get that with female mags aswell and all the fit mens bodies in it. The amount of times me and my mates have been shunned by girls and laughed at is unreal, even though being courteous at the same time. Still don't yap about it, chin up and move on.

Its not the same, by a long shot. The sidelining of female opinions on this thread says a lot...
  • Options
    Its not the same, by a long shot. The sidelining of female opinions on this thread says a lot...

That's because mainly they were talking shite, mate. As is your good self.

Oh bugger, I'm in the bad books again aren't I?
  • Options
    When looking at a scantily clad women on the pages of FHM et al, she is nothing but an object. She's an inaminate object on the page that it is impossible to interact with. She doesn't represent reality in any way and anyone who thinks she does needs their head checking. She is a package made up of photos and possibly some text. That's then handed to you. As a man i look at it, admire it, then disgard it. To try make any presumptions about the real world based on this inanimate paper object would be madness.
  • Options
    well I'll tell you one thing that was real about her. She exists, she was paid for the work and she was happy to be there.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    well I'll tell you one thing that was real about her. She exists, she was paid for the work and she was happy to be there.

How do you know she was happy to be there? I bet you think prostitutes are happy to be earning a few quid too. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    When looking at a scantily clad women on the pages of FHM et al, she is nothing but an object. She's an inaminate object on the page that it is impossible to interact with. She doesn't represent reality in any way and anyone who thinks she does needs their head checking. She is a package made up of photos and possibly some text. That's then handed to you. As a man i look at it, admire it, then disgard it. To try make any presumptions about the real world based on this inanimate paper object would be madness.

You have misunderstood what "objectification" means.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How do you know she was happy to be there? I bet you think prostitutes are happy to be earning a few quid too. :rolleyes:

Bet she's a lot happier than she would be working in McDonalds,
  • Options
    famous women on magazines, earning big bucks for it, having a laugh and syain "I liek being here".

yeah its really the same, that was a good point :rolleyes:
  • Options
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You have misunderstood what "objectification" means.

I disagree. To use the source you were quoting earlier:
    Over centuries women have been objectified, meaning they have been treated as objects valued mostly for their physical attributes, rather than human intellect.

I think you'll find my description of the objectification of a women on a page pretty accurately ties in with what Wikipedia has to say.

I also think you decided on what your view was way back at the start of the thread and have stuck your fingers in your ears for the remainder it, occasionaly responding with curt one liners that say nothing, put peoples backs up, and generally don't help the thread progress, as ususal.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    famous women on magazines, earning big bucks for it, having a laugh and syain "I liek being here".

yeah its really the same, that was a good point :rolleyes:

I was just wondering how you know if they're happy - have you asked them? Or do you just take it for granted?
  • Options
    I disagree. To use the source you were quoting earlier:

I think you'll find my description of the objectification of a women on a page pretty accurately ties in with what Wikipedia has to say.

I suggest you read that link I posted again.
    I also think you decided on what your view was way back at the start of the thread and have stuck your fingers in your ears for the remainder it, occasionaly responding with curt one liners that say nothing, put peoples backs up, and generally don't help the thread progress, as ususal.

Yes, I have decided my opinion on this. Mainly from talking to my g/f and other women. However, I appear to be the only person on this thread who is bothering to back up my position, so your assertion that I have "stuck your fingers in your ears for the remainder it, occasionaly responding with curt one liners that say nothing, put peoples backs up, and generally don't help the thread progress, as ususal." is a complete lie.