Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Windfall tax for oil companies at last

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4502470.stm

Sadly only on North Sea producers by the sounds of it.

Still, a long overdue move.

Anyone objects? Wouldn't be surprised if someone did... :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh good.

"Man steals from others to kill Iraqi's and control his fellows."

This bit completely baffles me -
    But at the same time we recognised that in striking the balance between consumers and producers, consumers need more money returned to them.

Why take it in the first place then?

Lying parasite.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh good.

"Man steals from others to kill Iraqi's and control his fellows."

This bit completely baffles me -

Why take it in the first place then?

Lying parasite.

so we're no longer people, but consumers - scary
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4502470.stm

Sadly only on North Sea producers by the sounds of it.

Still, a long overdue move.

Anyone objects? Wouldn't be surprised if someone did... :D
    You'd rather the government had control of the money than the oil companies?
  • Options
    Most definitely.

Especially when the oil companies are raking up profits that can only be described as obscene, even as the price at the pumps goes up and up.

Look what happened about 2 months ago when petrol prices reached all-time high prices across much of the world. While the likes of BP and Shell in Britain were claiming they weren't making much profit at all (utter rubbish of course) and refused to bring down prices, the governments of one or two European nations (probably Finland or Sweden) told the oil companies there to either lower their prices or suffer an immediate windfall tax.

Guess what happened? The companies reduced their prices, they still made nice profits, not a single worker had to be sacked, and prices at the pump were reduced when they needed to be reduced the most.

Regrettable as it is, we are absolutely dependant on fossil fuel today. Oil is far too important to be let run by private companies with greed and unlimited profits for their shareholders in mind. It doesn't help anyone at all- expect the shareholders of course.
  • Options
    It's one thing to use the threat of theft to make someone act fairer, it's another to let the petrol companies rob everyone and then rob the petrol companies afterwards.

If the money was directly related to a reduction in the level of fuel duty then fiar enough. As it's going to be spent on Blair's plane or bombing kids or whatever godawful scheme the criminals in government come up with next it's bollocks, even on it's own merits.
  • Options
    Tax = theft.

That is all.
  • Options
    Profit= theft.

Far more accurate I'd say.
  • Options
    Profit= theft.

Yup. So we have two sets of thieves. How does that make stealing right?
  • Options
    Problem Klintock I don't see taxation as theft at all.

But supposing I did, then I could argue that at least taxes are put to far better use than profits, which go almost entirely to shareholders.

Shareholders are without doubt the most useless, irrelevant, reproachable and parasitical set of people there can be. They serve no purpose at all yet entire economies revolve around rewarding these vultures and speculators at the expense of workers and consumers alike.

Come the revolution...
  • Options
    i'm in two minds about it.
    the government have also raked in billions in tax with the rise in oil prices but do we see any benefit?
    one thing we can be certain of is ...the oil companies will just pass the cost on to us.
    not often i hear people in this place celebrating more taxes.
  • Options
    Problem Klintock I don't see taxation as theft at all.

Ok, cool. Please list the factual differences between taxation and extortion.
    But supposing I did, then I could argue that at least taxes are put to far better use than profits, which go almost entirely to shareholders.

Yes, killing children and flattening cities is a much better use of resources than profits, isn't it?

Taxation is the profit of the government for it's herding of men.
    Shareholders are without doubt the most useless, irrelevant, reproachable and parasitical set of people there can be.

You mean the people who only own shares for their money? I agree. In their defence, they do no actual harm, being so inactive. Unlike governments, the biggest single killer ever on the planet.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Taxation is good. Exortion is bad.

Taxation helps others. Extortion helps nobody.

Taxation is morally right. Extortion is morally wrong.

That's all you need to know, really.

Yes, killing children and flattening cities is a much better use of resources than profits, isn't it?
    Building cities, hospitals, schools, roads and infrastructure and ensuring they are available to all, including the disadvantaged certainly is.

Unfortunately sometimes govenments use a small proportion of taxes for the wrong causes. That doesn't mean the other 95% of good things achieved through taxation should be discarded of course.
    You mean the people who only own shares for their money? I agree. In their defence, they do no actual harm, being so inactive. Unlike governments, the biggest single killer ever on the planet.
    They do actual harm by their very existence. By the perpetuation of a system that is wrong in every concievable way and that seeks to benefit the only people who actually contribute nothing.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

The likelyhood is that if you pay your taxes, you'll see the benefits of that in public services and the like.

Extortion benefits noone except for the person who extorts.
  • Options
    shareholders/investors ...are gamblers.
    are we now going to condm gambling?
  • Options
    I certainly will when the gambling game in question is as reprehensible as stock and shares.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I certainly will when the gambling game in question is as reprehensible as stock and shares.
    you wouldn't be willing to buy a slice of your bosses pie for a possible increase in your income?
  • Options
    Taxation helps others. Extortion helps nobody.

So if the mafia bought a hospital with the money they rob it wouldn't be theft and extortion?

You are arguing over what your money has been spent on after it's been stolen. That's like moaning that your mugger bought pepsi and not coca cola, rather than being outraged that you were robbed in the first place.

Anyway, you didn't include any factual differences between taxation and extortion, only opinions of it.
    Building cities, hospitals, schools, roads and infrastructure and ensuring they are available to all, including the disadvantaged certainly is.

Only governments don't do those things. They pay others to do them once they have stolen. Why have a series of middlemen?

Seems to me that they just buy you things to make taxation look good and keep you quiet, while retaining power themselves.
    Unfortunately sometimes govenments use a small proportion of taxes for the wrong causes. That doesn't mean the other 95% of good things achieved through taxation should be discarded of course.

Which invalidates this point totally.

Inactive things don't cause harm. It's not possible.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So if the mafia bought a hospital with the money they rob it wouldn't be theft and extortion?
    Seeing as the mafia wouldn't be likely to then offer free hospital care, it would be theft and extortion.
    You are arguing over what your money has been spent on after it's been stolen. That's like moaning that your mugger bought pepsi and not coca cola, rather than being outraged that you were robbed in the first place.
    But the money hasn't been stolen. Let's try to keep real eh?
    Anyway, you didn't include any factual differences between taxation and extortion, only opinions of it.
    Look factual and real enough to me and most others I suspect. But then you have always seemed to have a perception problem with certain things.

Only governments don't do those things. They pay others to do them once they have stolen. Why have a series of middlemen?
    Because otherwise the government would be made of some 60 million people.
    Which invalidates this point totally.

Inactive things don't cause harm. It's not possible.
    Yes they do but never mind eh?
  • Options
    you wouldn't be willing to buy a slice of your bosses pie for a possible increase in your income?
    Not when it's based on a system that seeks to exploit workers and neglect service to customers so far as the company can get away with it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not when it's based on a system that seeks to exploit workers and neglect service to customers so far as the company can get away with it.
    you make it sound like every company ...every one trying to make a few quid is evil.
  • Options
    Actually there are ways and ways of making money MR.

I have always held stocks and shares with the utmost contempt because it's a system that only exists to reward people who make no positive contribution towards the company. And by doing that it neglects assets where they are most needed: in the company to ensure proper investment and service and to pay workers decent wages.

It is because "commitment to shareholders" for instance that train companies seek to reduce service and maintenance to passengers as much as they can get away with, so they can return fatter dividends to the gamblers.

That is deeply wrong at every level.

P.S. Klintock please note the above before you try to explain how "inactive things" cannot cause harm.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Actually there are ways and ways of making money MR.

a system that only exists to reward people who make no positive contribution towards the company.
    well a company very close to my heart has just had a guy put £150,000 quid in which will pay for two machines.
    massively contributing to the company and creating two more jobs.
    wether the guy gets anything back will depend on an awful lot of things mostly beyond his control.

how can he have not made a positive contribution?
  • Options
    I don't know about that particular guy but the immense majority are only there to collect dividends and at the faintest indication of trouble will desert the company like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

That isn't particularly beneficial for a company.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't know about that particular guy but the immense majority are only there to collect dividends and at the faintest indication of trouble will desert the company like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

That isn't particularly beneficial for a company.
    the guy hasn't done it out of kindess.
    he's done it in the hope of getting a return ...eventualy.
    he can fuck off to south america and never be seen again ...the company have his money.
    it's the company who can desert him.
  • Options
    If your so convinced that oil companies are going to make u rich buy shares.
    With north sea oil in decline these companies will find reserves else where and the exchequer will lose out. Oil companies pay 50% coporation tax while all others pay 30% including gambling stocks brewers and tobaco.
    This windfall tax has nothing to do with fairness or obcene profits and everthing to do with Brown being a fool who cant read a balance sheet. If his forecasts were acurate this would not be needed.
    You clearly do not pay tax.
  • Options
    Seeing as the mafia wouldn't be likely to then offer free hospital care, it would be theft and extortion.

Ok. So if I march into your house, take your TV but then use the cash I get from selling it to buy you something else, it's not theft?

Bollocks.
    But the money hasn't been stolen. Let's try to keep real eh?

You've still not given any factual differences between the act of taxation and the act of extortion.
    Look factual and real enough to me and most others I suspect. But then you have always seemed to have a perception problem with certain things.

Facts go like this -

Tony Blair took my wallet and walked out of the room.

Opinions go like this -

Tony Blair took my wallet, which is a good thing.

See the difference?

Oh, the joy of facts. :rolleyes:
    Klintock please note the above before you try to explain how "inactive things" cannot cause harm.

Explain how they can. :confused:

If you do nothing, then nothing is done, harmful or otherwise.
  • Options
    I actually pay shit loads of tax sticktofacts. And I don't mind it one bit, thank you very much.

Companies that rack $9bn a year profits (that is £411,000 every single minute of every single day) while energy costs go sky high for everyone can afford to put some more back into the community.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Ok. So if I march into your house, take your TV but then use the cash I get from selling it to buy you something else, it's not theft?

Bollocks.
    That has to qualify as the single most appalling and irrelevant (yet breathtakingly funny) analogy in the history of mankind.

Congratulations :)

trophy.jpg

You've still not given any factual differences between the act of taxation and the act of extortion.
    I've given you plenty. It's not my fault if your understanding of the word factual is different from everyone else's.

Facts go like this -

Tony Blair took my wallet and walked out of the room.

Opinions go like this -

Tony Blair took my wallet, which is a good thing.

See the difference?

Oh, the joy of facts. :rolleyes:

Are you denying that taxes are overly used for good things? :confused:

Christ...

Explain how they can. :confused:

If you do nothing, then nothing is done, harmful or otherwise.
    Well seeing as shareholders are harmful, that little theory of yours cannot be true, can it?

Unless of course shareholders are not inactive after all- which happens to be the truth. But hey, at least that way your theory might still be valid.
  • Options
    Are you denying that taxes are overly used for good things? :confused:

Don't be daft. I am saying that it's theft for a good or bad (depending on your opinion) cause. It's still theft. What the proceeds of theft get spent on isn't a factor in whether it's theft or not.

Where you draw the line at justifiable stealing is up to you of course. If my gran as sick, would I steal to get her medicine? yeah, probably, if there was no other way. It would still be theft.
    Unless of course shareholders are not inactive after all- which happens to be the truth. But hey, at least that way your theory might still be valid.

i didn't say that shareholders did nothing for there money - you did. ;)
  • Options
    so we're no longer people, but consumers - scary

Yep. Read a bit of Marx, he talks about this in Capital.