Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Space Cadets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Starting tomorrow night.... what does everyone think - it does sound a bit out there, or not as the case may be
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well... if anyone is stupid enough to think the Russian Shuttle is still being used... all of their shuttles have sat on the ground for over a decade now. Shows how much they know about the space program :p

Should be amusing anyway.
  • Options
    I wonder what will happen if they aren't sussed and someone has like a real freakout in the "shuttle"
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    I wonder what will happen if they aren't sussed and someone has like a real freakout in the "shuttle"
    They'll tie them down, maybe? No idea, what is normal protocol for this?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    They'll tie them down, maybe? No idea, what is normal protocol for this?

a whack on the head with a hammer, or is that just cartoons

but seriously, I'd imagine they would have to pretend things are not running smoothly else it is going to be very dull just watching people floating around for an hour each night.
  • Options
    You see, thing is, they train you for these situations - do you know how many close calls and dangerous things astronaughts or cosmonaughts have to deal with on a space mission? Loads. Calm is the only way to sucessfully fly a space mission. Obviously, they'll take the piss in this show - but calm is what makes you.

If you fuck out - out the airlock. :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You see, thing is, they train you for these situations

Not only that but you wouldn't believe how stringent the selection process is. If you were remotely likely to have a major freak out you wouldn't be there in the first place.

Obviously that does not really apply to this programme tho.
  • Options
    Should be class. Hope they freak out and start crying and praying. :thumb:

Would be funny if someone repented all their wicked secrets

"I have homosexual secrets for my brother! :(:(:(" Then michael winner steps in "Calm down Mr. It's just a reality TV show!" heh.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Not only that but you wouldn't believe how stringent the selection process is. If you were remotely likely to have a major freak out you wouldn't be ther in the first place.

ok, though I can't imagine they are prepared for the possible humiliation when they find out they've been hoaxed
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    "I have homosexual secrets for my brother! :(:(:(" Then michael winner steps in "Calm down Mr. It's just a reality TV show!" heh.

:lol: I jsut remember him being asked "What is it like to be the most annoying person on TV?"
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: I jsut remember him being asked "What is it like to be the most annoying person on TV?"

No way, Linda barker is the most annoying person on TV. Michael winner is class. :)
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    No way, Linda barker is the most annoying person on TV. Michael winner is class. :)

nope, that vile woman on Good Food Live who is rude to everyone....
  • Options
    Or the Colin and Justin duo on five...
  • Options
    leese wrote:
    ok, though I can't imagine they are prepared for the possible humiliation when they find out they've been hoaxed

Sorry leese, should've made it clear I was referring to the selection processes and training of NASA rather than Channel 5 (or whoever it is!) :lol:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Sorry leese, should've made it clear I was referring to the selection processes and training of NASA rather than Channel 5 (or whoever it is!) :lol:

don't worry i should have realised, I imagine C4 wanted the biggest spoons they could get.

I'm also concerned they are going to get gratuitous with the whole "showing how people go to the loo in space" footage. Remember you are nobody in reality TV until the general public have seen you piss and shit.
  • Options
    I'd have given up tv altogether by now if it weren't for the Discovery and History channels. And CBeebies of course.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    And CBeebies of course.

:heart: Big Cook Little Cook (cardboard box is always on the tip of my tongue!)
  • Options
    IS this live? If it is then I'm going to the 5 minute ride to Ipswich just to sabotage everything.
  • Options
    Does reality TV law dictate that every such programme is required to have at least one token Scot?
  • Options
    It's not live, this stuff happened some weeks ago, they are just playing the training stuff, the actual "launch" will be live though, I think.
  • Options
    Missed it, what happene don the first one, as the video failed to record it seems.
  • Options
    They showed the selection process and how they built the 'base' by adding bits to it.

They also showed the moment where the contestants were told they'd be "space tourists".
  • Options
    Yup, basically they chose the people who were suggestable and showed the testing process, and they did some claustrophobia tests just so no-one would freak out in the confined space. Then they did more energetic things, Absailing down hills, and other stuff. There are about 3 or 4 Actors in with the main group who are doing all the uk activities. At the end of the show they showed johnny vaugn suprising the people and telling them they were going to be space tourists and that they had to go to russia to train properly. So they got onto the private jet, which will circle the north sea for 4 hours and then land in ipswitch.

the show also showed the making of the set for the training ground, Basically they used film props, and have turned an old UK military base into this russian space training station, they had to go to great lengths to do it, all the wall sockets and plugs had to be changed, and the people who planned it went to a russian supermarket *just* to buy lots of general things, russian toothpaste, shampoo & bog roll. Everything.

It was moderately interesting imho, I think when the show goes live it'll be best :D
  • Options
    ooooh I missed this, but I'll tune in when its next on. Sounds quite interesting/funny. I just hope the contestants or "astronauts" are not too annoying and loud.
  • Options
    i didnt see it but are these people actually stupid enough to think theyre going to be trained to be astonauts and blasted into space? does it not takes years to learn normally? and dont you need a degree or something? yet, these people seriously think they're going to be in space??
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    i didnt see it but are these people actually stupid enough to think theyre going to be trained to be astonauts and blasted into space? does it not takes years to learn normally? and dont you need a degree or something? yet, these people seriously think they're going to be in space??

Lets just say the people they picked weren't the sharpest pencils in the box :thumb:
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:

I think they get around it by saying the contestants only go to 'inner' space which does not have weightlessness etc therefore 'full' training is not required as opposed to 'outer space' which is where the real astronauts go.

Part of the selection process involved removing anyone with knowledge of all things military or space-related.
  • Options
    Aye, they're told they're "tourists" in space, not astronaughts or anything. They're being compared with that billionaire who paid to go into space. In reality only 0.00001% of people are mentally/physically able to go for long periods of time in space
  • Options
    ah i see.. might watch tonight!
  • Options
    Lets just say the people they picked weren't the sharpest pencils in the box :thumb:

They must be the bluntest - when was the last time the Russians used a shuttle? (Although that said, at least their one didn't get destroyed by foam.)
  • Options
    Balls, forgot to watch it.