Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bull Fighting

I was going to put this in Sport or Entertainment but some people probably don't class it as either so here it is.

Basically, I went to a bullfight yesterday (sunday) as part of the lead-up to the big festival celebrating Quito's Independence Day. It was really cool, I thought, and we got to see the best bullfighter in the world called El Juli direct from Spain who, even if you've never seen bullfighting before, you'd be able to appreciate this guy's skill.

Afterwards, I was chatting with Mrs. T who firstly didn't know that they actually kill the bulls at the end and secondly thought it was cruel and evil, despite the fact that the actual killing of the bull, whilst not being inconsequential, is by far the most boring part of the fight.

Now, I don't want to get on to a debate about fox hunting as everyone knows they are vermin who need to be kept in check. However, my question is this - given that bullfighting is so ingrained into the culture and mentality of the Spanish and the Latin Americans, much more so than fox hunting over here was, does that make it any less evil/cruel? Has anyone been to see a bullfight and if so, do you have any opinions on it? I had a great day and so did the crowd. Does make me evil/sadistic?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions, particularly from those people who have been to see a bullfight.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's wrong to kill for fun. That's all.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fun, entertainment, sport, however it's dressed I think it's wrong to kill for it.
  • Options
    Is it really much different than hunting though? Only animals kill other animals and not people killing them. Having said that, my opinion is that I simply dont' care and it seems too dull.
  • Options
    I'm against killing for fun in general.

I've never been so I don't know what it would be like but i'd probably feel bad.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not to keen on bullfighting or hunting with dogs but I quite often go shooting.

Hunting is one of the most basic and natural instincs that most people unfortunately never get to experience. I love it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Whats the difference between hunting and killing? Or murdering? (just throwing in emotive words, not trying to be suggestive)
  • Options
    I find it rather distasteful I must admit. Not something I would watch for fun.
  • Options
    Saw one on TV when I was in Portugal.

No, I don't think it's that bad. What have bulls ever done for us. Kill em all I say.
  • Options
    Well at least the Bull has a chance to Gore the Bull Fighter - a fox has not such luck

I also assume they at least eat the Bull or something afterwards?

I think people should only hunt what they intend to eat themselves.
  • Options
    Well at least the Bull has a chance to Gore the Bull Fighter - a fox has not such luck

I also assume they at least eat the Bull or something afterwards?

I think people should only hunt what they intend to eat themselves.

Don't know about the situation in Italy/Portugal/Some South American Countries, but in Spain, even if the bull gets the fighter, it still get's killed in the end...

And yes, a lot of the time, in fact, most of the time, the bull will be eaten. I've eaten meat from a recently fought bull, and the meat is top notch beef. What a lot of people don't know, is that the bulls that are bred for fighting are treated and cared for to the highest degree before they enter the ring. So the meat they produce is of the highest quality... only thing is, the way it is slaughtered isn't the most othordox.
  • Options
    bull fighting has always struck me as a more than just a little twisted form of entertainment.

course I like to spend my afternoons hitting old people with my car, so who am I to judge really?
  • Options
    Hunting just so you can stick the head on the wall is pointless and cruel.

Hunting for the pot is fine, as long as you dont go nuts and start dynamite fishing.

Bull fighting isnt inherantly bad, its just they could finish off the bull in a much nicer way, there's no need to jab it with things and generally torture it.
  • Options
    Fun, entertainment, sport, however it's dressed I think it's wrong to kill for it.

Agreed