Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Under Active Thyroid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What the hell does having an under active thyroid mean?

Is there any cure for having one?

Thanks for any info:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It doesn't produce enough thyroid hormones
    there are pills
    your welcome.

Ta Da!
    I have one and still don't know exactly what is means, but i know it can mean you get tired if its not working properly.
    With the pills do these regulate your thyroid gland so it operates @ a normal level rather than a reduced level?

Would having an under active one lead to weight gain due to a slow metabolism?
    yes, weight gain is a big symptom of it.

i thought thyroid pills replaced the hormones not produced by the thyroid, rather that make the thyroid work. could well be wrong.

google it, theres a lot of info around about it.
    *hands up* I'm another one with a UAT. Was diagnosed about nine months ago. Weight gain is a common symptom, but not one that I had. I'm underweight for my height (just slim built, have always been this way) and I've been trying to put on weight for years but have remained constant. My doctor is the same.

As Sikorah said, thyroid tablets replace the hormones not produced by your thyroid. Once you start taking them, that's it - you have to take one a day for the rest of your life.
    As said before tablets only relpace the unproduced hormone, theirs no cure, you hav to have regular check-ups etc. Thyorid problems run on both sides of my family, but havent effected me yet.
    Crispy wrote:
    With the pills do these regulate your thyroid gland so it operates @ a normal level rather than a reduced level?

Would having an under active one lead to weight gain due to a slow metabolism?

The pills do help keep it as close to "normal" as in the way your body works, the way you feel yes.
    As for the weight yes it can mean you put on weight and find it harder to shift but its not impossible. Once you have the tablet level right you should feel pretty much normal. It can take a good few weeks to feel ok again though.
    I managed to lose over a stone so far so having an underactive thyroid doesn't mean you can use it as an excuse lol.
    If you still feel tired etc a few month down the line when you had been feeling better then mention this to your doctor also as it can change like mine did.

For any women reading this who plans on or is pregnant then you also need to seek advice as during pregnancy the dose needs to be upped until you give birth.
    Hope this helps.
    Sounds all a bit technical for me, just glad it's not me with a UAT. No harm in me being clued up really though:)
    My gf was very impressed with my knowledge on the subject so thanks to you lot for the great info :thumb:
    hehe did you admit you asked us lot? lol
    Underactive thyroid can sometimes lead to carpal tunnel syndrome...
    dr_carter wrote:
    Underactive thyroid can sometimes lead to carpal tunnel syndrome...

Errr.. would you care to explain that one?!
    It's because hypothyroidism causes patients to retain fluid in connective tissue. Swelling in the flexor retinaculum causes it to press against the median nerve running through the carpal tunnel, and this causes carpal tunnel syndrome...
    Okay... one, it IS the case, ask your nearest doctor and he will confirm it. Or google it.

Two - it doesn't only affect the risk... There CAN be connective tissue fluid retention anywhere in the body. It's most clincally significant in the wrist because of the adjaicent structures. Also, not all patients with hypothyroidism suffer from fluid retention and 'puffiness'...
    Wrong.

Hmm... If i'm full of shit, then so are my lecturers... and my tutor... and every other student at my medical school.

Somehow, I don't think so.

MY verdict - you've got nothing better to do than contradict me at every turn, even though my comment was a) factually accurate and b) relevant.
    It's not the worst case rarest scenario. Admittedly it's not the most common presenting sign, but it's not uncommon either.

How is stating a perfectly legitimate response to a fair question dangerous?
    well my mum has an underactive thyroid, one of the symptoms she has is carpal tunnel syndrome...
    Indeed. I know that this is a reasonably common symptom because it was in a CBL Tutorial this term. CBL tutorials *tend* to be on complaints that are more common. Especially when you've only just started medical school.

I think I win this round.
    Tweety wrote:
    hehe did you admit you asked us lot? lol

Said I did some internet research:)
    rachie004 wrote:
    its similar to RSI, that you get in your wrist/fingers

Ooo might have to suggest that one as well as she does have a dodgy wrist as well :eek:
    dr_carter wrote:
    and every other student at my medical school.
    That's certainly true :p
    "St. George's Medical School is the top rated Medical School within London."

Nuff said...
    dr_carter wrote:
    "St. George's Medical School is the top rated Medical School within London."

Nuff said...
    Newcastle shits on the lot of you. :D