Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thirsty the day after drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I drink more than say six ounces of had liquer, I always get extremly thirsty the next day. I always drink lots of whater when I'm drinking and all that fun stuff, but the next day I just cannot get enough water. I always carry a pint of water with me and I will down the whole thing in one. This has only started happening within the last few weeks. Anybody have any ideas on this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Alcohol will dehydrate you because it makes you urinate, more than you should.

Try drinking water along with your alcohol, this should make the dehydration less of an issue.
    I do do that though. Most my nights I just have a few drinks from like 8 to bedtime. Its enough to get me tipsy, but far from drunk. And in those times I always have plenty of water also. Usually finish a pint and a half in that time aswell as I addicted to water :p
    Eating anything salty?
    Maybe you need a bit of sugar in there too. Try putting a bit of apple juice in your water - my mum's partner always makes me drink some diluted apple juice when I come home from a night drinking.
    Pint of water and 2 bottles of Lucozade Hydro Active works brilliantly! Add a Redbull to help the hang over as well as food.
    The good old post-alcohol diuresis. :yes:
    Well I am an unnatrual crisp fanatic. And I've lacked self control with them in the last week or so. That could have to do with it then, never thought, thanks!
    my_name wrote:
    Well I am an unnatrual crisp fanatic. And I've lacked self control with them in the last week or so. That could have to do with it then, never thought, thanks!

Alcohol will make you crave salt, I think it helps the body deal with the alcohol, though that might be a myth.

But, salt will make you thirsty and make you piss, thus making you thirsty again.
    The salt helps in rehydration. It aids water reabsorpition and conservation in the kidneys as "water follows salt". Those Lucozade Hydro Active drinks are a fucking expensive alernative to a packet of salt & vinegar and a pint of water.