Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Infants need mental health checks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    theres no such as normal behaviour really so i dont get how over a tenth of people could have a psychiatric condition

learning is part of growing up, and the people whe often have the strangest views on life are often the most interesting and contributing
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Since when do 5-year-olds qualify as "infants"? :chin:

"Oh no, my baby said 'Goo goo abrr'. he's mentally retarded!!!!"
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Zalbor wrote:
    "Oh no, my baby said 'Goo goo abrr'. he's mentally retarded!!!!"
    :lol:

That sums it up.
  • Options
    But when you have five-year-olds saying that they feel worthless, and don't see the point of living, surely you agree that that is a big problem?

Or maybe you don't. Klintock has some very strange ideas about mental illness.
  • Options
    i think if you can get people / kids into mental health services early enough then so much the better ~ problems acn be dealt with a lot earlier... as long as its not pumping kids full of drugs - which is the likely outcome. but atm the nhs does not have sufficient resources to manage that at all. i think it also says a lot about how f**ked up society is to even consider neding that. :yeees:
  • Options
    You only have to watch House of Tiny Tearaways to realise that some young kids and families have real emotional problems.

I hope any treatment is focused around the whole family unit rather than just the child.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I hope any treatment is focused around the whole family unit rather than just the child.
    it would need to be. but then its a social services issue not mental health services. - its doomed to failure because there is such a lack of resources for care as it is.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    it would need to be. but then its a social services issue not mental health services. - its doomed to failure because there is such a lack of resources for care as it is.

And parents dont want to go to Social Services and say 'I cant cope with my child' because of the fear they will be taken away.
  • Options
    Theres some problems with this that I can see.

1) The bell curve.

All physchiatry operates from the model of normative statistics. This means that there can never be any end to mental illness. Because they will always look at behaviours on either side of that bell curve as being "wrong" and will want to do something about them. There is NO classification in the bible of mental health for normal.

2) Drugs.

It's always on with the motley with drugs. Mental illness is said to be caused by "chemical imbalance" so you can use more chemicals to fix it. Like people were cars or something, and without asking what caused the imbalance in the first place. What other solution presents itself? It's not like you can go back through childhood issues. They haven't had a childhood yet.

3) It sees mental illness as an individual problem, when it is obviously a sociological/interpersonal one. In our safe little worlds of modern technology, we want things that work properly. This is starting to include people. Rather than we as individuals developing interpersonal skills with each other, the sensitivity and ability to treat each other as different with dignity, it's increasingly the case that as soon as someone doesn't instantly conform to the generally expected view of "normal" they are labeled with a disease and drugged up so they will fit in.

http://www.23nlpeople.com/Rant.htm

Have a rant.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And indeed let's hope the emphasis is on prevention rather than diagnosis.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    But when you have five-year-olds saying that they feel worthless, and don't see the point of living, surely you agree that that is a big problem?
    When I was 5 I was asking my parents what the point in living is, since we'll all die. It doesn't mean I had a problem, just that I was trying to understand.
  • Options
    Admit it, children are evil!

All young kids entering school basically have two things on their mind:

Cause harm
    Rip the piss out of what's different.

No normal person has such values as the entireity of their thoughts. No good psychiatrist would consider such a thing mentally healthy!

Best psychoanalyse them until someone gets hurt!!!!!! :yes: :impissed:
  • Options
    I dont really think that that many young kids have mental health problems, most mental illnesses start to show symptoms in the teens. Children do ask strange questions as they want to understand the world around them. Just sounds like the medias taken a piece of research and spun it out of control.
  • Options
    Obviously Monocrat has forgotten he was once a kid.
  • Options
    Kids are rank!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Kids are rank!!! :lol:
    Jesus Monocrat... If I tell you to fuck off will you send me more abusive Emails?

Kid.
  • Options
    Monocrat is a kid isn't she/he? Isn't that why he/she uses their mummy's email to send abusive messages?

Regardless, it's banned again.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Monocrat is a kid isn't she/he? Isn't that why he/she uses their mummy's email to send abusive messages?

Regardless, it's banned again.
    Haha he actually has his own Email now, do you want it to stop him signing up again?
  • Options
    I'm sure I've already banned it but drop me a PM and I'll block it just to be sure.