Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boycotts and buying ethically

Do you boycott anything? If so, what and why?
Do you try and buy ethically or avoid certain products you disagree with (but wouldnt necessarily call it a boycott) such as battery eggs or animal tested products?

Just wondering really. I boycott Nestle` for their breach of the WHOs guidelines on baby milk marketing in the third world. I dont buy anything by them or any of their subsidiary companies (of which there are loads of :( )

I dont buy battery eggs and I dont buy bacardi either.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm gonna boycot anything and everything blagsta reads ...it is seriously bad for your mental health.
    i'm also going to boycot born slippy for similar reasons.
  • Options
    No I don't boycott anything...there's not much point. There's other ways of getting your point across tbh.
  • Options
    Battery eggs and fresh veg and meat from supermarkets where possible, which is most of the time. I wanted to quit buying noodles with palm oil in but they all contain it and i dont want to cook myself a proper lunch.
  • Options
    why boycott bacardi though? i didnt know they do anything bad.

i buy free range, but only because it tastes better!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    why boycott bacardi though? i didnt know they do anything bad.

http://www.rcgfrfi.easynet.co.uk/ratb/boycott/wysk.htm
    its to do with their support of the embargo in cuba.
    Tbh, i never drank bacardi anyway, but if i was going to buy rum, id buy cuban rum rather than bacardi, or if i was out and about I usually buy vodka instead.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    why only cos it tastes better?
    Whats wrong with doing it for the chickens?
    thumbset_your_chickens_free_postcard.jpg
  • Options
    It's not possible to boycott Nestle, they make EVERYTHING...

My mother boycotted South African produce during the apartheid years...
  • Options
    dya think?
  • Options
    i don't boycott anything i don't think...although i do like to shop in the Body Shop once in a while ;) my mates dad boycotts anything french apparently lets jus hope he doesn't boycott anything made in china as that'll be practically the whole house done with lol :lol:
  • Options
    Like RB, I never buy anything made by Nestle. Well, I genuinely try not to. I've bought things before without thinking and then realise at home they're Nestle or one of their many partners in crime; they really do have a very wide (and obscure!) product range. Bastards.

I try and buy all my tea, coffee, chocolate etc Fairtrade..but that's fairly par for the course now isn't it? On the rare occasion I buy eggs, they have to be Organic Free Range. The idea of battery farmed eggs makes me feel a bit queasy.

All said though, I was recently bought 'The Rough Guide to Ethical Shopping' and there are so many new things I'm now trying to consciously not-buy. Even a lot of the self-proclaimed 'Green/Fairtrade/Organic' products seem to be not-so-ethical after all, which is scary. :eek2:
  • Options
    Tbh there's no such thing as ethical shopping. Somewhere someone or something gets exploited along the line...there's the minimalist damage approach but I'll eat what tastes nice to me.
  • Options
    Tried the nestle boycott, but i dint get very far as they make soo much. Wont buy known animal tested products, or battery farm eggs.
  • Options
    boycottisrael.gif

:yes:
  • Options
    boycottisrael.gif

if only it were that simple... but I digress, lest this turn into another Isreal/Palistine debate.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Like RB, I never buy anything made by Nestle. Well, I genuinely try not to. I've bought things before without thinking and then realise at home they're Nestle or one of their many partners in crime; they really do have a very wide (and obscure!) product range. Bastards.
    Actually on the Nestle thing (if you do it for baby milk reasons) is more destructive these days because the stigma attached to bottle feeding in the high AIDS prevalance countries in Africa means that even more effort should be put in to getting babies fed by bottle.

Did you know that a baby born to an HIV positive mother has roughly a 1 in 3 chance of becoming HIV positive if delivered vaginally and breast fed.

If you have other reasons for not buying from Nestle, fair enough. I don't boycott them personally.
    I try and buy all my tea, coffee, chocolate etc Fairtrade..but that's fairly par for the course now isn't it?
    I always buy fairtrade tea and coffee despite good arguments against the schemes. I believe they do some short-term good.

I also try to boycott foreign imports that can be bought from local sources e.g. cheese, lamb, fruit & veg et cetera.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Actually on the Nestle thing (if you do it for baby milk reasons) is more destructive these days because the stigma attached to bottle feeding in the high AIDS prevalance countries in Africa means that even more effort should be put in to getting babies fed by bottle.

Did you know that a baby born to an HIV positive mother has roughly a 1 in 3 chance of becoming HIV positive if delivered vaginally and breast fed.

If you have other reasons for not buying from Nestle, fair enough. I don't boycott them personally.

I always buy fairtrade tea and coffee despite good arguments against the schemes. I believe they do some short-term good.

I also try to boycott foreign imports that can be bought from local sources e.g. cheese, lamb, fruit & veg et cetera.

so if it doesnt get aids, it will die from unsafe bottlefeeding in an area with no clean water to make the feeds up safely.
    lose on the swings, lose on the roundabouts.
  • Options
    i try my best not to buy from supermarkets at all.
    i also refuse on the grounds of common sense ...not to buy anything with a trendy must have label.
    i also never wear tshirts with fucking messages slogans or adverts on them.
  • Options
    I boycot French goods by buying French lable wine then pouring it down the drain while being filmed by CNN. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nah, I dont boycott anything (that I can remember anyhow). The only time I really wont buy certain stuff is when im on the market and the owners talk foreign to their helpers. I am not gonna buy from them if they have not got the decency to speak english.

awaits a bashing
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Nah, I dont boycott anything (that I can remember anyhow). The only time I really wont buy certain stuff is when im on the market and the owners talk foreign to their helpers. I am not gonna buy from them if they have not got the decency to speak english.

awaits a bashing
    you wouldn't last five minutes in wales! :lol:
  • Options
    I boycot French goods by buying French lable wine then pouring it down the drain

that reminds me of an episode of Time Gentlemen Please.
  • Options
    you wouldn't last five minutes in wales! :lol:

hehehe
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    that reminds me of an episode of Time Gentlemen Please.
    must be a British show, I've never heard of it.

I was more or less talking about the folks who came up with "Freedom Fries" (instead of French Fries) :lol:
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:

awaits a bashing

*Bash, Smack, Stomp*
  • Options
    boycottisrael.gif

All I can say is thank God Israel got the holy places and the Arabs got the oily places - lot easier to boycott Oranges than petrol.
  • Options
    so if it doesnt get aids, it will die from unsafe bottlefeeding in an area with no clean water to make the feeds up safely.
    lose on the swings, lose on the roundabouts.
    Bit of a non point.

Do you have any other reasons for boycotting Nestle?
  • Options
    Do you boycott anything? If so, what and why?

Nestle, Coca Cola, a lot of trainers, I try to live environmentally friendy... There's a lot I guess I boycott.

Do you try and buy ethically or avoid certain products you disagree with (but wouldnt necessarily call it a boycott) such as battery eggs or animal tested products?
    I avoid animal ested products and only get free range eggs. I can't afford free range beef, but if I could I'd get the local stuff... A greatd eal of organic free range cattle is reared in Argentina and that means deforestation.

What have Bacardi done?
  • Options
    I would boycott (or selectively buy, depending on your viewpoint) if I could afford it, and fully intend to when I actually earn a salary...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Bit of a non point.

Do you have any other reasons for boycotting Nestle?
    Never heard about the HIV and breast feeding... Where'd you get that from?

Nestle are also helping to sustain military rule in Burma, who are one of the world's biggest human rights violator.
  • Options
    Never heard about the HIV and breast feeding... Where'd you get that from?
    It's not really up for dispute. I'll find you a link.
    Nestle are also helping to sustain military rule in Burma, who are one of the world's biggest human rights violator.
    Never heard about Nestle and Burma... Where'd you get that from?