Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gays in the Military!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As i understand it, in America you can not be part of their military if you are gay. This is why they have the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. So long as no one knows your gay, you can be in the military.

Personally, i am all in favour of gays being in th emilitary if they want to fight for their country. Better them if they want to, then me who doesn't want to. If their is a war id be off to Canada or Switzerland or where ever i could get away to in a heart beat if there was mandatory service.

What do you all think of Gays in the military?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The same as anyone else in the military. If that's their chosen proffesion then fair play to them.
    why would a person answer anyway?
    Sexuality shouldn't prohibit you to join the army. There are heteros that are more sissy than gays.
    Nero (I think) used to have a legion of gays. They fought like hell to defend their partners.
    From the squaddies I've met... If I were a gay man, joining the army would be a death wish.
    a bullet from a pretty blue gun ...just as lethal.

if the powers that be in yankyland don't like woofters ...why not send 'em all to iraq?
    It must be great for a gay guy in the army tho, seriously, close communal living and all that
    waster wrote:
    It must be great for a gay guy in the army tho, seriously, close communal living and all that
    :eek2:
    waster wrote:

That's one reason for the banning of gays from the army. If I could live communally with loads of young women, get to touch them up as part of training and see them naked, then i'd be signing up tomorrow.
    piccolo wrote:
    Nero (I think) used to have a legion of gays. They fought like hell to defend their partners.

I think you might be thinking of the ancient Greeks, rather than the Romans.

But you've also pointed out one of the flaws. Soldiers shouldn't be out to protect their partners - but to achieve their objectives, even if it means leaving their partner bleeding to death on the floor.
    waster wrote:

:rolleyes:

Because they automatically fancy everyone lese there, right...

It's that kind of thinking which leads to small minded policies like this.
    NQA wrote:
    Soldiers shouldn't be out to protect their partners

Erm.. isn't that what they are doing, isn't that their role ;)
    but to achieve their objectives, even if it means leaving their partner bleeding to death on the floor.

Rough stuff, eh?

Them greeks!
    :rolleyes:

Erm.. isn't that what they are doing, isn't that their role ;)
    no ...he's right.
    their aim is to complete their task ....their objective.
    if everytime a soldier went down his mates stopped fighting to make sure he was ok ...it would be a bad fucking army.
    Nah, I mean in the "One Two Three... what are we fighting for" sense...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    How many sex scandals have you seen involving women in the military. Quite a few. I woudl have thought similar situations could arise with gay soldiers.

I think front line troops could do without those extra complications, especially when lives are involved.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    How many sex scandals have you seen involving women in the military. Quite a few. I woudl have thought similar situations could arise with gay soldiers.

I think front line troops could do without those extra complications, especially when lives are involved.

I wouldn't say sex scandals s the problem... But more that the gay person would probably be the victim of violence and bullying.
    Not if they joined Para Mortar platoon :D , other way round then.
    The ones I read about usually involve women being raped or abused by their male colleagues

I've read about all sorts and yes rape is one of them. Whatever's involved in these scandals it's can you not see how it would compicate things and possibly be dangerous in combat situations
    I'd say it's the men who need to be removed if they can't treat their colleagues with basic decency, not the women (if that's what you were implying).

You suggest we remove straight men from the military?
    Weekender Offender 
    Ban armies, much better idea
    (I don't actually think that anyone should be banned from the forces.)

I do. The forces aren't there to look after the nation's waifs and strays but in the last resort to defend the country at the cost of their lives.

Also knowing some details of at least some of the cases reported by the press they are seldom as black and white as they appear.

I know of one case where a woman complained she'd been bullied, because an NCO yelled at her 'Don't fucking stand there like a cunt, go and get some help' when she was standing gawping at a one of her colleagues who just fallen from a wall and broken his leg. And another case where a young recruit complained because his section commander had told him 'That was the worse cup of tea I've ever tasted'.

There may be a thin line between bullying, harrasment and toughening people up, but it is there and it is needed.
    NQA wrote:
    I do.

So do I.

Our soldiers have to be totally focused on the job, and have to have complete trust in one another to work effectively in combat situations.

There's no doubt that woman and gay men could complicate this.

As far as I'm concerned when lives are at stake, equality and politics has to take a back seat.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

Our soldiers have to be totally focused on the job, and have to have complete trust in one another to work effectively in combat situations.
    which is why it is/would be a good thing that they don't have to lie about parts of their lives.
    There's no doubt that woman and gay men could complicate this.
    but gays are allowed in the UK military, and women in the US. Let alone different ethnic groups, religions...
    but gays are allowed in the UK military, and women in the US. Let alone different ethnic groups, religions...

Who's talking about ethnic groups and religion?

The fact is that woman and gay men throw in extra complications where there should be none.

With just straight men there's you'll avoid sex scandals, relationships amongst soldiers and the problems these relationships cause, and you'll also avoid a lot of bullying and abuse.

If you think the added risks these problems may bring in comabt situations, are worth it for a little bit of equality then fair enough. I don't.
    Weekender Offender 
    either way sex is brought in the miltary, if there gay or not, you think miltary guys when they do over seas dont get any!? So using sex as an excuse for gays not to be in military is silly.
    I have no issue with gays in the army whatsoever. There's no evidence they'd be worse soldiers so good luck to them.

Just don't go suing the MoD when you get killed.
    Unsurprisingly it's the people who probably have most army potential who oppose them joining, those with the least support the idea.

There's an ideal world and there's a practical world. In the practical world, it's going to cause problems. Undoubtedly there are gays who would make good soldiers, but the potential for disruption is just too much.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Unsurprisingly it's the people who probably have most army potential who oppose them joining, those with the least support the idea.

What? Did they do a survey or something?

To be honest if you're in a career where lives are at stake then you should be a professional. Personal prejudice or sexual distractions don't come into it.

There was the same sort of arguments when the U.S. was desegregating their army ... causes complications, ingrained prejudice weakened their fighting efficiency etc. Its bollocks.

At the end of the day if someone fits the fitness requirement and wants to sign up then they should be allowed.
    How will gay people put others off the job?
This discussion has been closed.