Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age gap and tellin your parents the truth?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and i feelin im much mre mature than mi friends!!

You do :eek2:

I dread to think how immature your friends are then. I mean, look how many times you have been asked to stop using text talk but you totally disregard what people are asking you to do. Being mature means growing up........you have a long way to go yet, dont you agree ?
    I dont thanks since me and my bf have been together ive grown up alot !!!
    I feel alot my confident with myself as a person now, and i feel i can gain alot more out of life. The fact is the only step i need to take is us telling our parents, why we lied, i know its gunna take sometime them getting used to the idea of us beein together but we're in love! I feel right when we're together and when we're not i feel emtpy like im missing part of me! I just want to get the point across that we're in love and that we're happy together! Im 16 and i should be able to see who i want!! I want to be taking more seriously !!!

SO HOW CAN I PUT THAT POINT ACROSS TO MY PARENTS AND HIS?
    Just bloody tell them ! Say your sorry you felt you had to lie and how you want to put it right, If they like him as much as you say then they should be fine with it. I don't know what else you want people to say to be honest lots of advice has been given !
    Thanks for that I just want to be propard for anything they have to say!
    Make sure you chose a time to tell them when they are not rushing around/busy or stressing about something etc... sit them down and clamly tell them that you love each other and that the only reason you lied about his age was because you were not sure how they would have taking it, but you have realised that it was wrong to lie to them about it and that you are sorry that you lied. If there really do like him, then there should not be a problem.
    Da Truth

I think your best bet would be to say "I was scared to tell you, but my boyfriend is really 25. On the plus side, he teaches English to mentally retarded people"

Tell us how you get on...
    Im 16 and i should be able to see who i want!!

Yeah, we have all been there. Im 16, I can do what the hell I want when I want :rolleyes:

So why does this all lie down with you why cant your boyfriend sort it ? I mean at the end of the day he's a 25 yr old fella so tell him to stop being a wimp and get the parents told...................sheesh
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    So why does this all lie down with you why cant your boyfriend sort it ? I mean at the end of the day he's a 25 yr old fella so tell him to stop being a wimp and get the parents told...................sheesh

Good point there BeckyBoo, why has he not been more willing to help her tell her parents the truth.
    tbh, at 16 there isnt THAT much more freedom - people have usually done most of it anyway
    I dont thanks since me and my bf have been together ive grown up alot !!!
    I feel alot my confident with myself as a person now, and i feel i can gain alot more out of life. The fact is the only step i need to take is us telling our parents, why we lied, i know its gunna take sometime them getting used to the idea of us beein together but we're in love! I feel right when we're together and when we're not i feel emtpy like im missing part of me! I just want to get the point across that we're in love and that we're happy together! Im 16 and i should be able to see who i want!! I want to be taking more seriously !!!

SO HOW CAN I PUT THAT POINT ACROSS TO MY PARENTS AND HIS?

If you want it to come across really well with your parents I'd suggest using loads of screaming, shouting anger like that last sentance suggests.

Really, if you want any adult to take your relationship seriously you're going to have to calm the fuck down about it. If the age gap is not an issue, then it's not an issue that needs to be discussed with your folks.

However, as a word of advice that you've not asked for, I'd say that you should break up with this guy. From what I can see here, you're not a mature 16 year old. And that suggests to me that either you're going out with a very immature older person, which probably wont help you in the long run, or you're being decieved by a mature older person who fancies taking advantage over a young girl. Neither of these scenerios is that great.
    Send both respective parents an email, typed by yourself, explaining the situation.

They will understand perfectly.
    addicted7 wrote:
    Send both respective parents an email, typed by yourself, explaining the situation.

They will understand perfectly.
    Assuming her English has gotten better.
    Silverberg wrote:
    Assuming her English has gotten better.

Lowest form of wit my post was actually. Still witty though ;)
    Don't they teach english in schools these days? I though mine was bad!
    Tweety wrote:
    Don't they teach english in schools these days? I though mine was bad!

I think that they do, but unfortunately it's batted down by the endless reams of kids tv shows and music channels encouraging text speak and the like.
    I say, you are both by law anyway, full autonomy to have a relationship and that cannot be argued with or subject to control. Dont bother about what other people think, you are old enough to make your own choices and not pander to the needs of society's expecation of what is normal and what isnt. I was in a relationship with only a 4 year difference and it became constantly speculated about by her parents etc that I couldnt be bothered and broke it off. I agree with whoever said that there is the element of manipulation, what have you got to lose by telling your parents the truth, will they kick you out? if so, if its such a great relationship then you have nothing to worry about as he will look after you, right? ;)
    bongbudda wrote:
    Am I the only one which thinks an age gap between a 16 year old and a 25 year old bloke a bit odd?

I just cant imagine you have all that much in common.

Sometimes the most important things people have in common transends more then time and different people mature at different rates, someone who's grown up in a very sheltered home may have less life experience then someone younger then them who's been through a lot for their age.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Am I the only one which thinks an age gap between a 16 year old and a 25 year old bloke a bit odd?

I just cant imagine you have all that much in common.

/QUOTE]

Ohh thats just what I was thinking - but then its clearly me showing my age - personally i'd think that someone who was that old and fancied an underage girl was a bit of a purve to be honest.

I also think that this poor girl has had such a bad schooling she cant' acutally speak proper english or spell correctly

(Or she might be a troll so stop feeding her)
    waster wrote:
    I say, you are both by law anyway, full autonomy to have a relationship and that cannot be argued with or subject to control. Dont bother about what other people think, you are old enough to make your own choices and not pander to the needs of society's expecation of what is normal and what isnt. I was in a relationship with only a 4 year difference and it became constantly speculated about by her parents etc that I couldnt be bothered and broke it off. I agree with whoever said that there is the element of manipulation, what have you got to lose by telling your parents the truth, will they kick you out? if so, if its such a great relationship then you have nothing to worry about as he will look after you, right? ;)

fankz for that waster i agree wiv u i jus want them to understand y we lied to them!
    I wanted them to give mi bf a chance, i knw his parents will be ok bout it because they r understand people i jus feel that mi parents will b different coz im their lil girl ( they fink)!!!
    Fankz for all the help people !!!
    we are tellin them in 17 days !!! i hope it goes well!!! :crazyeyes
    Why isn't blatent disregard for the rules, other posters and pure idiocy a bannable offense?
    my_name wrote:
    Why isn't blatent disregard for the rules, other posters and pure idiocy a bannable offense?

Pass, I really don't know?
    Little_one wrote:
    Pass, I really don't know?

I think it should be.

Discuss.
    my_name wrote:
    I think it should be.

Discuss.

What is there to discuss, as you say it should be a bandable offense, its not like we did not ask her nicely to stop writing in text.
    Little_one wrote:
    What is there to discuss, as you say it should be a bandable offense, its not like we did not ask her nicely to stop writing in text.

Oh, genius idea *light bulb*

Should it be banable... or beatable :chin: or both
    my_name wrote:
    Oh, genius idea *light bulb*

Should it be banable... or beatable :chin: or both

They should be banded then beaten.
    Thanks to everyone that gave me advice, we told them the day after boxing day and they were fine bout it they was jus disapointed that i lied to them!
    Thanks to everyone that gave me advice, we told them the day after boxing day and they were fine bout it they was jus disapointed that i lied to them!

Oh my god, somebody got hooked on phonics for Christmas! :yippe:
    Glad to hear it.
    Thanks for the courtesy of letting us know how it turned out, and for doing so in something tolerably close to english.
    Monkey phonics????? Sweet!!!

wow, a happy ending. Very nice.