Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The lads mags

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    What "girl power" stuff? You mean the Spice Girls? Come on...

No of course not and I'm not on about feminism either.
    What are you on about then?
    Blagsta wrote:
    What are you on about then?

A group of men with pints in their hands saying "OOH look at the tits on that" is the same as a group of girls getting together and saying "Oh men are such twats, they're not worth the efforts at all"

I think you're trying to read too deeply into what people do or say at the weekend or whatever.
    addicted7 wrote:
    Yes.

And if I'm picking up on your suggestion that I use it for other purposes then you're mistaken. I rarely even look at the girl pages, just the mindless readable pub fact type stuff.
    i was referring to your friend who keeps them there
    Ballerina wrote:
    i was referring to your friend who keeps them there

There are much better things than lads mags for a wank tbh.
    turlough wrote:
    A group of men with pints in their hands saying "OOH look at the tits on that" is the same as a group of girls getting together and saying "Oh men are such twats, they're not worth the efforts at all"

I think you're trying to read too deeply into what people do or say at the weekend or whatever.

No, they're quite different. One is men, who have more power in society and are generally physically stronger judging women purely by looks (objectifying) and quite possibly being aggressive and intimidating with it. The other is a group of women whinging about failed relationships.
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, they're quite different. One is men, who have more power in society and are generally physically stronger judging women purely by looks (objectifying) and quite possibly being aggressive and intimidating with it. The other is a group of women whinging about failed relationships.

Ok so do you think the average man who does that sort of stuff is a twat?
    turlough wrote:
    Ok so do you think the average man who does that sort of stuff is a twat?

Does the "average man" sit around making aggresive sexual comments to women?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Does the "average man" sit around making aggresive sexual comments to women?

At the weekend. Yes.
    turlough wrote:
    At the weekend. Yes.

I'd beg to differ.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'd beg to differ.

You do? What kind of mates do you have?

I know everytime me and my mates go out we check girls out and say which one we'd love to shag and ya know what, I odn't give a fuck :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    Granted. However, presenting women as sex objects first and foremost, denying that they have subjective experience is not healthy.

Blokes do this with or without the lads mags.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Blokes do this with or without the lads mags.

duh, really? :rolleyes:
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, they're quite different. One is men, who have more power in society and are generally physically stronger judging women purely by looks (objectifying) and quite possibly being aggressive and intimidating with it.

Aggressive?? Intimidating?? You haven't seen my mates - we're about as intimidating as a pack of crisps.
    Blagsta wrote:
    The other is a group of women whinging about failed relationships.

Or they're a group of women who find it easier to generalise about all men rather than face the fact they've made some pretty poor choices and don't want to take responsibility for it, so they call ALL men twats (cheek: how dare they refer to my father that way).
    Aggressive?? Intimidating?? You haven't seen my mates - we're about as intimidating as a pack of crisps.

Did you see that word "possibly"?
    Or they're a group of women who find it easier to generalise about all men rather than face the fact they've made some pretty poor choices and don't want to take responsibility for it, so they call ALL men twats (cheek: how dare they refer to my father that way).

What difference does it make to you whether some women think you're a twat?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you see that word "possibly"?

Yep, in big flashing neon letters.
    Blagsta wrote:

Doesn't really bother me what they think of me although I'd rather they wait until they know members of my family properly before referring to them that way.
    Blagsta wrote:

And what difference does it make to you that we perv over girls from time to time.

I don't think the "patriarchical society" and "males are stronger" argument is a valid one, it doesn't fit well with the argument in general.
    Yep, in big flashing neon letters.

Doesn't really bother me what they think of me although I'd rather they wait until they know members of my family properly before referring to them that way.

You're quite a sensitive little flower aren't you?
    turlough wrote:
    And what difference does it make to you that we perv over girls from time to time.

There's nothing wrong with finding women attractive, I haven't said that there is. However, seeing women as only a pair of tits, as only objects to satisfy male sexual desire is unhealthy. Lads mags contribute to this.
    turlough wrote:
    I don't think the "patriarchical society" and "males are stronger" argument is a valid one, it doesn't fit well with the argument in general.

Why not? Its part and parcel of the argument.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're quite a sensitive little flower aren't you?

As if that had anything to do with this subject....

...and yes I am when it comes to my family, especially when they get insulted by silly little women who refuse to take responsibility for their own failings.
    Blagsta wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with finding women attractive, I haven't said that there is. However, seeing women as only a pair of tits, as only objects to satisfy male sexual desire is unhealthy. Lads mags contribute to this.

Rubbish. Get in to the 21st centuary mate.
    As if that had anything to do with this subject....

...and yes I am when it comes to my family, especially when they get insulted by silly little women who refuse to take responsibility for their own failings.

What on earth are you on about? You seem to have a few issues.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why not? Its part and parcel of the argument.

The fact that men are stronger and have more power than women in society has no relation to a guy saying "look at the tits on that" as it also has no relation to when a women says "men are twats"
    Rubbish. Get in to the 21st centuary mate.

Good response. Must have taken you a while to come up with that.

So you see nothing wrong with presenting women as merely a pair of tits and a cunt?
    turlough wrote:
    The fact that men are stronger and have more power than women in society has no relation to a guy saying "look at the tits on that" as it also has no relation to when a women says "men are twats"

I didn't say there was a direct relation.
    Blagsta wrote:
    What on earth are you on about? You seem to have a few issues.

I take issue with women who say "men are twats" just because they made a bad error of judgement with the last dopey bloke they ended up getting off with. What they could say is "the men I've met have been twats" or similar but no, it's far too easy to lump us all together. Perhaps that's their problem, they don't put enough effort in to the real world and only see things their own way.
    I take issue with women who say "men are twats" just because they made a bad error of judgement with the last dopey bloke they ended up getting off with. What they could say is "the men I've met have been twats" or similar but no, it's far too easy to lump us all together. Perhaps that's their problem, they don't put enough effort in to the real world and only see things their own way.

Its time to get over her.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I didn't say there was a direct relation.

But you can't really bring politics into male/female relations and feelings...and as I've said already most of it is just laddish culture, the chances of a man who says this shit and him actually trying to force a women to go with him is low.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Good response. Must have taken you a while to come up with that.

No, just a few seconds.
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you see nothing wrong with presenting women as merely a pair of tits and a cunt?

Where the hell do you get that idea from?

Very few men these days ONLY see women as objects of lust. Some do but they are certainly the minority. To suggest that lads' mags contribute to this in any significant way is truely to live on cloud cuckoo land.
    turlough wrote:
    But you can't really bring politics into male/female relations and feelings...and as I've said already most of it is just laddish culture, the chances of a man who says this shit and him actually trying to force a women to go with him is low.

"just laddish culture" - how do you think 90's lad culture came about? By accident? Or a product of social circumstances?