Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blair prepared to reduce EU rebate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Treachery.

Whilst this is fantastic news in that it will strengthen support for a restoration of parliamentary sovereignty and an end to overbearing bureaucrats dictating how Britain is governed for as long as we remain in the EU this amounts to nothing more than betrayal of the worst kind. Blair has failed to represent British interests in Europe and indeed the global interests in that there will be no fundamental reform concerning the CAP. Quite, disgusting. Yet more proof that it's time for the PM to go.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, shows your lack of Knowledge as to why the Rebates exists.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Blair yet again blurs the border between politics and diplomacy. The EU is a waste of space and the rebate is a great bargaining tool for the UK. If Blair squanders it, he will only bring yet more shame on this country.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:
    Blair yet again blurs the border between politics and diplomacy. The EU is a waste of space and the rebate is a great bargaining tool for the UK. If Blair squanders it, he will only bring yet more shame on this country.

What? We don't need the Rebate anymore, we are quite capable of standing on our own. It is wasted money that could be used for poorer coutnries to help their economic growth.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Thank you.

Quoted for irony.
  • Options
    We have always paid more in than we get out, but the rebate redressed the balance so that our payments in were more proportionate. So yes the EU should work to encourage economic growth in new member states, but the UK should not be bankrolling the EU, which is extremely rich by world standards. I'd rather that £4 billion went to the developing world.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    What? We don't need the Rebate anymore, we are quite capable of standing on our own. It is wasted money that could be used for poorer coutnries to help their economic growth.

You're being simplistic.. :rolleyes:

I take it that you believe it’s fair that Britain – even with the rebate puts far more per person into the EU than it takes out in comparison to countries such as France, Ireland, Greece and Spain? Don't try and tell me France and Ireland are poor.

It's ironic that you talk about using the money for poorer countries to help their economic growth. The rebate used as a bargaining tool could actually do just that. Reforming the CAP supported by lazy French farmers could do exactly that - yet Blair is making concessions without any compromise on the CAP.

The simple fact is that the rebate is our money and we're fairly entitled to it. Of course it would be a lot simpler for us to give less in the first place to the corrupt bureaucrats running the EU instead of getting the rebate but bloated EU bureaucracy consistently dictates against any kind of common sense.

Although those that support the EU and also support any compromise on the rebate are short-sighted if not stupid. As it is many people realise we’re getting ripped off by the EU and want to renegotiate our membership or leave altogether. The more the EU milks Britain – which is the perception people will draw from this the more people will want out of this self-important and corrupt EU that aspires to be some kind of United States of Europe.
  • Options
    Oh goodie - us Brits can pay more taxes and the spanish can build some more roads with EU money. And people wonder why the Brits are sceptical about the benefits of the EU :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I've little knowledge of EU issues, but what benefits will we get from EU enlargement?
  • Options
    If we give up the rebate we will end up paying about ten times more into the EU than either France or Italy, are they ten times less able to pay?

The CAP is a mockery, a farce, bad for farmers, bad for tax payers, bad for the enviroment, bad for the third World, its a hugely costly waste.
  • Options

Come on then, Hamster - why does the rebate exist?
  • Options
    Come on then, Hamster - why does the rebate exist?

Because the French are much better at milking the CAP.
  • Options
    scrap the CAP as we know it, and i dont care if the rebate goes then cause the EUs budget would halve
  • Options
    The Rebate should not be touched until the CAP is sorted out, and we are not bankrolling French farming.

On this, Blair is being a traitor. But the problem is we need to have the East on our side so we can stop the CAP...
  • Options
    From the BBC article:
    Under the terms of the proposed deal, the UK would not receive any rebate from poorer countries in central and eastern Europe.
    That's such a terrible thing to do, is it?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    From the BBC article:

It wouldn't be if say the French stopped subsidising their greedy farmers with the CAP - paid for in part by poorer countries from central and eastern Europe.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    From the BBC article:

the cap is far worse than the rebate thus using the cap to get eastern new countries on our side, and then to scrap the CAP will be great

wont happen though :(
  • Options
    the cap is far worse than the rebate thus using the cap to get eastern new countries on our side, and then to scrap the CAP will be great

The CAP as a concept should not be scraped altogether, there should be some sort of support. But export subsidies should be cut completely and import tarrifs should only apply to those countries who do not abide to our animal and enviromental standards.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

The point still stands that the CAP is subsidising these countries, and putting our farmers out of business.

We don't get back what we put in, nowhere near. And unless you are going to start a treatise on all those poor starving Frenchies, then that is a situation that cannot be allowed to continue.
  • Options
    I do not know the current figures on money put in and money taken out but the last figures i saw for only a few years ago were soemthin the in the region of Britian paying in 3 times the amount of money as France or any other European nation apart from Germany who at least shoulder some burden of finance, however, the Germans do get more out of the EU then Britain.

Britain pays for the EU to operate and we get nothing from it except bureaucracy and laws superceding our own laws.

It is time the EU finally consolidated itself or stopped expanding or dissolved itself into nothingness, which would be my personal choice. I mean it has gotten to the point where the EU is expanding itself to include nations not even in Europe, like Turkey. Soon Israel will be invited then Russia, then China, etc, etc.
  • Options
    If we don't get as much back as we put in the EU, why are we still a member? Who is it in this country that gets the most out of being in the EU?
    Just wondering.
  • Options
    If we don't get as much back as we put in the EU, why are we still a member? Who is it in this country that gets the most out of being in the EU?
    Just wondering.

Well the fact that Britain imports more from EU members than it exports to EU members would suggest that were Britain not a member a free trade agreement between Britain and the EU would be perfectly feasible. In fact during Clinton’s presidency/John Major’s government there was even murmurs of support in America by some for Britain to join NAFTA. As a country, the USA is our single biggest trading partner. You don’t have to be particularly bright to realise that if Britain had free trade agreements with the EU and the USA (as well as Canada and Mexico) we would be infinitely more attractive to businesses and no doubt better off economically.

Of course there are a few benefits to EU membership but they are significantly outweighed by the countless disadvantages.
  • Options
    Whereas the balance of payments might not favour Britain at the moment in from a pure cash in/cash out perspective, the benefits of EU membership are immense and worth billions to this country- even if it is indirectly and there is no pay-in slip to show to the sceptic brigades.

And quite like the snowballing effect "PC correctness gone mad" stories have, I am willing to bet that the immense majority of 'stories' regarding Portugal having all their roads paid by the EU or Greece having a new underground system paid by the British taxpayer and blah blah blah amount to unfounded rumours, myths and plain bollocks. Just like 99% of all "council ban Christmas" stories turn out to be.

All countries benefit from the EU. All countries receive funding for various projects. Some countries are richer and receive less; some countries are poorer and receive more.

End of.

In a way I wish Britain would find itself out of the EU, if only to see the amounts of people in this country who would come to realise after only a few months what we would be missing and how "better off" we would really be out of the European Union.

Christ...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Some countries are richer and receive less; some countries are poorer and receive more.

France is poorer? :confused: I don't think so.

And Ireland? Spain? Whilst Ireland and Spain were once well behind Britain, Germany and France I don't think they are now. Isn't Ireland's GDP per head higher than Britain? Yet per head Ireland receives far more aid than Britain..

Whether it’s right or wrong that the EU is a glorified charity it’s patently ineffective if rich countries like France, Ireland and Spain are among the biggest beneficiaries when there are eastern European countries that are far ‘poorer’ than countries like France that milk the EU.

Fair enough you support your beloved EU but why are you oblivious to the faults of the United States of Europe?
  • Options
    Oh I know the CAP is grossly unfair and that France got itself a nice deal out of it. I also know however that no country is ripped off by the EU or does particularly badly out of it- certainly not Britain with its rebate; and that stories of the entire motorway network in Spain being built on EU money and similar claims are just perpetuated garbage.

Incidentally Spain is considerably less wealthy than Britain, Germany, France or Italy. I really wish it wasn't the case, but it is. Portugal and specially Greece are even less wealthy and many areas have appalling levels of poverty.
  • Options
    Spain's GDP per capita is $23,300. Britain's is $29,600. Poland's is $12,000. (2004) CIA World Factbook.

There are exaggerations of course about the money given to Spain and Greece. Although incidentally I and a lot of other people I’m sure have far less of a problem with money being spent on infrastructure in countries like Portugal and Greece than massive amounts being spent on the CAP. Although Spain might not be quite as rich as Britain it’s by no means a poor country and it’s a lot richer than the likes of Poland.

The money wasted on the CAP could be spent far better; more projects in Eastern Europe and science/research would benefit EU members significantly more.
  • Options
    I agree. And the CAP illustrates perfectly why Britain needs to be at the very heart of the EU, and enthusiastic about it. Look what France managed to pull off by doing just that.

The more Britain chooses to remain the skeptic of the group, the less power and influence it will have and the less favourable deals it will achieve for itself.
  • Options
    I don't have any problem with money going to Poland etc - we can give it them direct and them more will actually get to them, rather than subsidising some very nice flats in Brussells.

Britain is wealthier than many of EU countries because she reformed her economy and took short term pain for long term gain. i see no reason why we should in effect subsidise countries such as France who refuse to do the same.
  • Options
    I just love the idea that the US are "valuable trading partners" who can be trusted to look after us.

Those who think that should go and talk to the producers of Scottish Cashmere.
  • Options
    How come the pro-EU people make sweeping statements, do not back them up at all, then complain about the anti-EU people making sweeping statements with no evidence, and vice versa???

The Rebate maintains Britains benefit to stay in the EU, thats why we have it. Take away the Rebate and the benefit of being an EU member diminishes so greatly, it would be better to leave the EU. I could give you all the figures of Billions of pounds in and out, etc, but most of you would say they are wrong or i am making them up, so i will leave you to look at the undisputable figures for yourselves.

Some countries get a raw deal in this world and EU members are not often them.
    Britain does pay for seemingly everything in the EU and bankroll it, along with Germany. But we do not get things back, not unless you count the countles amounts of crappy artwork, sculptures and other junk that is ridiculous that is paid for by EU The Arts supporters programmes or what ever it is called this week.

I think it is about time we started getting our roads and railways maintained by EU money. Not to mention had our farmers supported, our industry (what is left of it) subsidised to maintain jobs AND our fishing fleet rebuilt and given back its rightful territorial fishing grounds. The shut down of our fishing fleet at the demands of the spanish to the french who left their own waters extinct and devoid of life was pure treason!

(yes, my family was and is involved int he fishing industry of Britain)
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Not to mention had our farmers supported, our industry (what is left of it) subsidised to maintain jobs AND our fishing fleet rebuilt and given back its rightful territorial fishing grounds. The shut down of our fishing fleet at the demands of the spanish to the french who left their own waters extinct and devoid of life was pure treason!

(yes, my family was and is involved int he fishing industry of Britain)

The Brits were nicely fishing the North Sea into a dead ground long before the issue of other nations was brought up. It is every fishing boats fault and we will all loose when the North Sea is dead, which it will be.