Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Purchasing alcohol for minors, tut tut

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now I'm sure this isn't that big of deal as it is here. But I just want opinions anyways. For the young ones who have it bought for them, do you feel embaressed or stupid asking? For those of you buying, do you think its a big deal? Do you care? I always am asking somebody to buy some fore me, usually my friends husband or my boyfriend. But even now, like 5 years of practice I still am not comfortable with it. Even asking my boyfriend, I get real embaressed. I feel just absoutly stupid doing it, like they are judging me or thinking I'm lame. I'm not sure. So what are the opinions of others on both sides?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I don't feel guilty buying it, as long as I know them. When I was younger, my older mates bought it for me, now I buy it for the young lads.
    I havent asked anyone to buy alcohol for me in about 2 years. But when i was about 15 most of the people i asked would buy it for me. I used to ask strangers that happen to be walking by. The reaction from most people was usually "yeh ok, but we have to agree on what i can have out of it" and " yeh of course, i no what it was like when i was in your position"
    When I was underage I didn't really get that many people to buy me booze, but when I did I just thought it was fine. I mean, usually the people offered to buy me it anyway, so it wasn't like I was actually asking. If I was going to a party/sleepover or something my parents would just buy the drink for me.

Now I'm able to buy alcohol for myself I have bought drinks for a couple of underage friends, but I don't really think it's wrong. I mean, yeah it legally is, but they are only a few months younger than me, and they know what they are doing.
    But you have ridiculous laws on alcohol.

We can get it from 18. I haven't bought on behalf of randoms but of course I did for underage friends when we were 16/17/18. I wouldn't buy cheap cider or spirits but proper alcohol, no probs.
    No kidding stupid drinking laws! :p
    Well this makes me feel better though. THe people I ask say its fine and they have no problem with it, they could care less, but I still always felt guilty. But now the more people that agree that its no biggie it may make it easier. See, I ran out yesterday and I want more tonight, so I'm sending emails to the man all beating around the bush all shy and nervous about it.
    Kentish wrote:

We can get it from 18. I haven't bought on behalf of randoms but of course I did for underage friends when we were 16/17/18. I wouldn't buy cheap cider or spirits but proper alcohol, no probs.

I have done the same it was my 18yh birthday and I invited the girls from work one was not quite 16, but as we had told the resturant that it was for an 18th birthday party I think they just assumed that we where all at least 16. But she was only about a month away from turning 16 and we where very seniable about the amounts we where drinking and did not up set the other people there.

I've been having the odd drink since the age of about 11-12 but at that age it was only at family functions and it would only be one small drink from my dad, or a small drinkat christmas time. Since I was about 15 I would have a glass of wine nearly every Sunday with our roast. I still don't normally have a more then two or three drinks at anyone time even when I got out now and I'm 21. I think this was because I was brought up to respect alcohol.
    ^^^ i thought you could drink alcohol at any age in a restaurant?
    You need to be 16, even then you can only have wine/cider/beer i think.
    You make a very good point about being brought up to respect alcohol. When I was growing up, before I was born, my dad was an acoholic, so never in my life has there even ever been alcohol in the house. When I was 16, I wasn't ever told that it was bad, just that it should be done with caution. But I've just alwys gone about that when I drink I have to do it so my parents would find out, that if they did, they would be dissapointed or mad or judgemental and I think I've just brought that attitude onto everybody who associates with me and drinking. I doubt they ment to, but thinking about it, my parents being so strict with it has subconsciously made me fear anybody knowing me drink.
    Kentish wrote:

We can get it from 18.
    We can legally get it from 18 but in reality we can get it much younger. I used to buy my own alcohol from the age of 15, no questions asked.
    I've got no problem with asking someone I know. I wouldn't ever approach a stranger though, that's how the cops get involved. I drink responsibly, keep myself out of trouble, and my friends and I always have a designated driver, so asking for booze doesn't make me feel guilty in the least.
    No I don't buy it for minors.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    turlough wrote:
    No, I don't feel guilty buying it, as long as I know them. When I was younger, my older mates bought it for me, now I buy it for the young lads.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
    In your case my_name, I would just feel down right irritated that I was still having to ask someone when I am an ADULT. Geesh that 21 thing is a bit OTT. Alcohol is a natural substance and wild animals go out f there way to find fermenting fruits. I do see the dangers of alcohol and the need for laws for guidance etc. but 21!!! That would just make me angry. Feel no shame and ask out loud!
    katralla wrote:
    Alcohol is a natural substance
    So is anthrax.
    I just used to steal the alcohol I wanted when I was under age, not something I'm especially proud of.

I have bought for under age kids in Canada, they seemed sensible enough not to get too wasted and I knew them.
    I've no problem buying for peeps I know, like my sister. But I'm not mad keen on taking the risk for a couple of kids I don't know. I used to do it, but I never really get asked anymore anyway. It's a bit hypocritical I suppose because I used to do it when I was a young 'un, but it just seems like too much risk these days.
    I never remember having any particular problems buying alcohol but then i've looked pretty much the same as I do now since I was 12 so i looked old enough to buy it before I was really that up for getting drunk so its not been an issue really. Ohh though we used to have quite drunken sleepovers in the first year seniors by raiding all our parents drinks cabinets.

I've never bought alcohol for random minors but i've bought loads of people who i've know are underage but thats normally been to drink with them though and outside of a pub you can legally drink if your with a responsible adult and over the age of 5 so its not even illegal either ;}. Though i have also bought alcholol for people who are underage in pubs as well and I once got caught buying for minors in an off licence - they came out to the car and demanded that we give them back the alchol becuase there were people underage in the car with us not even having any proof that we were going to give it to them.....
    I've been bought booze when i was wee, but I dont really go to the offy that regularly so never bought for the young ones.
    Wyetry wrote:
    I once got caught buying for minors in an off licence - they came out to the car and demanded that we give them back the alchol becuase there were people underage in the car with us not even having any proof that we were going to give it to them.....

Blimey, better not take the kids with me in future then!

Seriously though that is a bit daft. You should've told them to fuck right off!
    Miffy wrote:

Exactly I would have done, goods have been sold nothing they can do ?

I bought for my 13yd old cousion when I was 19, he got drunk with all his mates threw up everywhere got grounded for 2 weeks, he didnt grass me up though.
    When my brother was 16 Id force him to get drunk ha ha.
    my_name wrote:
    See, I ran out yesterday and I want more tonight, so I'm sending emails to the man all beating around the bush all shy and nervous about it.

It seems really daft to me that you're older than me, yet can't buy alcohol.
    Miffy wrote:

I think it was mainly the shock that they even dared to do it meant we didn't question it.

Plus we were on our way to a joint end of gcse/a-levels party so technically the alchol was going to people who were underage and I think we were worried they would call the police with the car reg.
    Wyetry wrote:
    Though i have also bought alcholol for people who are underage in pubs as well and I once got caught buying for minors in an off licence - they came out to the car and demanded that we give them back the alchol becuase there were people underage in the car with us not even having any proof that we were going to give it to them.....

Similar thing happened to me and my mates....

My friends parents were organising a party. (Bear in mind, that me and my friends weren't included in the party, we were off out for the night, but were waiting there)

It got down to last minute preparations and his mum asked him to go and buy a list of drink from Tesco (he's 18). Since me and my boyfriend were with him, we said we'd go with.

All a bit hyper, we went into Tesco having a giggle at my friend walking with his hat backwards and talking his own version of French. The security guard gave us a glance and proceeded to follow us. We went to the alcohol aisle, and helped him pick to out the drink. We were ID'd on the spot in the aisle by the security guard so my friend showed his licence. When me and my boyfriend were asked we said 'well, no, we don't have it, we're not 18, but we aren't buying it.'

My friend explained the situation and even offered to call his mum to confirm it with her but no. He wasn't allowed to buy it.

To this day, we announce very loudly 'Don't worry, we'll get the booze at ASDA' when shopping there. How daft?
    I've been asked a few times to buy drink for people who are underage. On every occasion, I've politely made my excuses and left. I'm always tempted to remind them of the law, but all the aggro I would get because of it would make doing that pointless.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd just say "I've never drank alcohol, I'm 20 and healthy, so I can guarantee you that nothing bad will happen to you if you don't drink for a couple of years".

Such things never happen here though. I haven't even heard of an age limit on buying drinks.
    "Gonae buy us a bottle of Buckie, big man?"
    Fuck off!

I never hung around with the kind of people that hung around off-licences when I was younger. I think kids asking adults to break the law for them is a bit cheeky. I suppose for residents of the good ole USA its different, but I didn't mind waiting until I was 18 before taking up drinking.
    I dont buy for randoms, but I will buy for my friends but only if they are 16 +. I only tend to drink with my older friends nowdays anyway.
    never been asked to buy anyone alcohol so wouldn't know! if i knew them i would, but if it was for some stranger i don't think i would. it'd depend how scary they look and how many of them there were! :p
    more than happy to say no then walk in and get my self some and come out and go now if i can do it so can u then say i am 14 (i am 18 just acted like a 14 yr old )and then i dont have to ever get them the alcohol.