Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

brixton are abandoning their lenient attitude to cannabis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you think?

they're adopting a near 0 tolerance method now

im too busy eating to type more

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a) I don't live in Brixton.
    b) I don't use drugs.

So, I couldn't care less :p if anything it's probably a good thing.
    ---

Someone got munchies ;)
    rasta-squach.jpg
    omfg, has that dude never heard of scissors?!?!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Born Slippy talking tripe again...

Oh well. Perhaps it'll make hte police look good and have good arrest figures... saves catching real criminals at least.
    Wonderfull news. Proof legalising cannibis is a bad idea. A "very bad idea".

Why do you think that, oh mighty intellectual? *sniggers*

Prohibition doesn't have any basis. Any remotely intelligent/knowledgable person knows this.
    what do you think?

they're adopting a near 0 tolerance method now

The BBC site says it's to stop "drugs tourism"...people coming from all over London etc because that's where the dealers tend to hang out. I don't see the problem.

It's all a load of bullshit. Prohibition doesn't reduce use and only serves to adulterate supply making it considerably worse to health. Really helpful :rolleyes: .
    Spliffie wrote:
    Prohibition doesn't reduce use
    Is it not a bit silly to suggest this as an argument when you have just accepted the converse?
    does the police force actualy have the cash to deal with potheads? Processing all the people they catch with weed will get expensive especialy if it's near 0 tolerance.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think this will make much of a difference in the way the police actually deal with people caught in posession.
    Weekender Offender 
    The reason this has failed is not because legalising is a bad idea its because this half way house is rubbish.

Of course there were more dealers if you allowed them to deal, thats fairly simple isnt it. But no one wants street dealers, they are nasty.

If you had two well run shops in Brixton you could drive all the street dealers out of business within the week. And the community would have far less hassle.

It is not cannabis which is the problem here, it is the public perception that the Police wont arrest you for breaking the law, this is bad for the public and bad for the criminals.
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you had two well run shops in Brixton you could drive all the street dealers out of business within the week. And the community would have far less hassle.
    We had just that. Until the jobsworth cunts closed them down for no good reason :mad:

It's an stupid thing to do. They're not going to stop anyone really and the only improvement would be on police performance tables. It certainly won't have any benefict on society or local residents- on the contrary.
    Aladdin wrote:
    We had just that. Until the jobsworth cunts closed them down for no good reason :mad:

It's an stupid thing to do. They're not going to stop anyone really and the only improvement would be on police performance tables. It certainly won't have any benefict on society or local residents- on the contrary.

The reason is its still illegal, whether thats a good reason or not is debatable.

I'm not sure I fully blame the Police for this, they are there to enforce the law, it is the law makers who should change. We shouldnt have a Police Force who just pick and choose the laws they enforce.
    They should exersise common sense though. One of the 'shops' could be argued for closure but the other one certainly could not. No incidents, no trouble, no nothing.

The fact is there are now street dealers who have filled the vacuum created by the closure of such shops. Not a good thing.
    Still illegal though isnt it, the shops may have been an improvement, but they were openly dealing an illegal drug, something the Police cant really just let happen (unfortunately).

I totally agree with you that street dealers are worse, but given the law the Police cant really just let open dealing happen.

Until we have fully legal sale of cannabis this stupid back and forth will happen wasting police time and money.
    You cannot allow shops to wilfully break the law, or it makes a mockery of the whole thing. I quite agree, cannabis cafes are a good idea if done properly and made to adhere to stringent conditions like any other license premises, but they are illegal and the police and ttrading standards are there to uphold the law, not pick and choose them.

Street dealers are bad, and throwing the book at them is never a bad thing.

Legalising cannabis, and allowing its sale in specially licensed premises, would be a good start.
    appaerently you can now carry up to 500 spliffs ten e's and it will only be considered as personal use ...not dealing.
    Kentish wrote:
    Is it not a bit silly to suggest this as an argument when you have just accepted the converse?

Where have I accepted the converse? :confused:
    Spliffie wrote:
    Prohibition doesn't have any basis. Any remotely intelligent/knowledgable person knows this.

Just been watching The Untouchables by any chance?
    Just been watching The Untouchables by any chance?

Overrated film which i haven't seen for years.

Creating a diversion to avoid backing up your stance eh? You really are pathetic.
    Yep. *sniggers*
    Yep. *sniggers*
    be honest ...the only place you ever heard the word prohibition before.
    You ain't going to get Cannabis cafes etc because smoking is going to be illegal in public places in the near future........