Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

flu jabs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
will you be told if you need one, or is it up to you to ask?

i was watching something on the news about the jabs and the priority groups, and i think i fit into at least one, but no one's ever suggested to me that i might need to have one.

do i need to go ask about them, or just assume if it's not been mentioned it's probably cause i don't need one?

also, is it too late in the year?

Comments

• Options
    Some GP's will be good about this and send letters out to all those in the 'at risk' group, others will not.

If you think you are in the 'at risk' group phone up your surgury and ask.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Some GP's will be good about this and send letters out to all those in the 'at risk' group, others will not.

If you think you are in the 'at risk' group phone up your surgury and ask.
    I'd ring and ask, like bongbudda said. I'm in one of the 'at risk' groups, and didn't get a letter. I shouldn't think its too late either, I only had mine on Friday.
  • Options
    isn't any harm in asking.
    but most people who are deemed to be at risk should have letters sent to them advising about flu jabs.
  • Options
    Good luck getting one.
  • Options
    does it really matter if i don't get one?

what are the risks? (obviously apart from getting flu)
  • Options
    You'll get flu, get sick, and have trouble controlling your diabetes/heart disease/asthma etc.
  • Options
    it's mainly cause i'm on long-term steroid treament and thus have crapola immune defences.

it says in my patient info leaflet that this can increase the chances of you catching stuff, but also mask the symptoms. so how do you know if you've got something?
  • Options
    You'd know if you had flu but steroids would indeed mask some symptoms because of the way they work in reducing the body's immune reactions. If you are on long term oral steroids, it's reasonable to ask your GP for a flu jab.
  • Options
    I had to ring up and ask to have one. As it was, this was about a month ago and i had to wait for 3 weeks for a 5 second appointment. However, will all the hullabaloo with not enough flu jab, good luck getting one.

Mind you, although i have asthma, i didn't even get asked why i needed/wanted one.no wonder they have run out!
  • Options
    I had to ring up and ask to have one. As it was, this was about a month ago and i had to wait for 3 weeks for a 5 second appointment. However, will all the hullabaloo with not enough flu jab, good luck getting one.

Mind you, although i have asthma, i didn't even get asked why i needed/wanted one.no wonder they have run out!
    Wouldn't they have seen it on your notes?