Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anthony Walker and Christianity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As members of this board are usually quite 'anti-religon' and, in particular, very 'anti-Christian', how do people feel about the absolute generosity of spirit that the mother of Anthony Walker has displayed in 'forgiving' her son's killers? If there ever was an example to me of what Christianity is about, surely this is it. They are an amazing family ...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nicer than some of the poster's opinions on that thread...
    Teagan wrote:
    As members of this board are usually quite 'anti-religon' and, in particular, very 'anti-Christian', how do people feel about the absolute generosity of spirit that the mother of Anthony Walker has displayed in 'forgiving' her son's killers? If there ever was an example to me of what Christianity is about, surely this is it. They are an amazing family ...

PM had interviews with his mother and his Pastor, deeply touching. I think a lot of people get bogged down in what The Church does and dont see that many ordinary Christians are genuinely good people.
    Stupid is what it is.

"I don't mind, do it again!" is the message that's being sent.

Forgiveness is for mistakes, accidents and misunderstandings. Not for cold blooded killers.

If it makes them feel better then I can see the point of it. Theres no way in hell that I would or could if it was one of mine. I wouldn't even entertain the idea, couldn't even give it house room.
    well I reckon it shows they are good strong people. It does take alot to forgive someone, espeically if they kill a family member.

I don't think I could. I mean if my soul depended on it maybe but if some scum murdered my son or daughter they had better watch out coz I would go for them. It may not be right but it is how I would feel.
    IT shows everything that is good about religious faith, IMHO. And as bong says, it shows that, for all the faults of the organisations, the people in them are mostly very good people.

Forgiveness is a very big thing to do. It's so much easier to let your life be ruined by hatred.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Nicer than some of the poster's opinions on that thread...

I don't understand ... my opinions? On what thread? Sorry - call me slow but I am confused ... :confused:
    ---
    Teagan wrote:

Its not neccesarily about religion. I was sitting in on an anger management group at Brixton prison this morning, forgiveness was being talked about as a way of moving on, letting go of anger and hate that can destroy people (something Born Slippy could learn from). In fact I find it quite insulting to assume that only religous people can be forgiving.
    As blagsta says, it's nothing really to do with religion. It's hardly as though Christains have some specific special powers for forgiveness, anyone can forgive.

She is a brave and thoughtful women though for doing so I must admit.
    klintock wrote:
    Stupid is what it is.

"I don't mind, do it again!" is the message that's being sent.

Listen to anything his family say about the incident - does it sound like they don't care?
    turlough wrote:

She is a brave and thoughtful women though for doing so I must admit.

Agreed
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not neccesarily about religion. I was sitting in on an anger management group at Brixton prison this morning, forgiveness was being talked about as a way of moving on, letting go of anger and hate that can destroy people (something Born Slippy could learn from). In fact I find it quite insulting to assume that only religous people can be forgiving.
    I don't think anyone was saying that only religious people can be forgiving- just that in this particular case the family are Christians and this, for them, is why they forgive.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I don't think anyone was saying that only religious people can be forgiving- just that in this particular case the family are Christians and this, for them, is why they forgive.

I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion. They might well have forgiven if they weren't Christian's. There are also plenty of Christian's who don't practice forgiveness and plenty of atheists who do.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion. They might well have forgiven if they weren't Christian's. There are also plenty of Christian's who don't practice forgiveness and plenty of atheists who do.

But that wasn't the point either.

The point was that most Christians, like most people, are good and kind people.

Which is what makes the attacks on "pedo catholics" etc so disgusting.
    I have total respect for Anthony Walker's mother.
    lea_uk wrote:
    I have total respect for Anthony Walker's mother.
    Forgiveness is not a unique quality of Christians, but this woman deserves serious respect.
    Didn't the parents of Walker say they would forgive when the killers had shown true remorse, rather than actually saying they have forgiven them?
    Kentish wrote:
    Forgiveness is not a unique quality of Christians,

I don't think anyone is saying that it is.
    minimi38 wrote:
    Didn't the parents of Walker say they would forgive when the killers had shown true remorse, rather than actually saying they have forgiven them?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4471440.stm

They've forgiven them. I'm not sure if I could do the same, hence my sincere respect for the family.
    ta