Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas Shopping

Hi ladies, gentlemen and anyone else who might be reading this.

It is coming up to Christmas, and some of you will probably be buying presents for people online. I just wanted to let people know that if you shop online at a number of websites, you can also help a charity, the Association of Young People with ME (AYME), by shopping at some sites like Amazon and Play.com through their website. That way, a percentage of the purchase price goes to AYME at no extra cost to you, and you still get presents for people too. They are a great charity, and have done a lot for someone I know so I just wanted to spread the word.

Here is the link

Thanks everyone, and remember it doesn't cost any more to you but money will still go to AYME.

Mods, please delete if you think its inappropriate advertising. But it is charity.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does AYME only get a donation if the likes of play.com are only accessed through the AYME site or does it work if you just go straight to play.com?
    I think its only if you go through the links on the site. Well, thats what I was told, anyway.
    coolness, I have already ordered a load of stuff from Amazon, so hope some of that money goes to charity.
    I hate having to say this, I really do. This sounds like a complete con. You buy Christmas presents in a bout of shameless indulgence on yourself and those near you. You then give a pittance to charity, thinking you're "making a difference" by doing it. What a load of rubbish. Typical of the way people now think "ooh, I'll buy loads of extortionately priced crap that nobody wants and nobody needs, but I'll give a bit to charity to make sure the poor people are alright."

The whole thing stinks. If you want to give money to charity, do it directly, not as you buy Christmas presents and pretend to care about those less lucky than you are. If you really care about the "Association of Young People with ME", give money to them directly, as I shall do.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You then give a pittance to charity, thinking you're "making a difference" by doing it. What a load of rubbish. Typical of the way people now think "ooh, I'll buy loads of extortionately priced crap that nobody wants and nobody needs, but I'll give a bit to charity to make sure the poor people are alright." .

Who said anything about that?
    If it's a little extra to help then it's a little extra to help isn't it, and the more people that do it the more of the 'little extra's theres going to be.
    I don't think you can really comment on how much people do or don't give to charity when you don't actually know what they give or whatever.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I hate having to say this, I really do. This sounds like a complete con. You buy Christmas presents in a bout of shameless indulgence on yourself and those near you. You then give a pittance to charity, thinking you're "making a difference" by doing it. What a load of rubbish. Typical of the way people now think "ooh, I'll buy loads of extortionately priced crap that nobody wants and nobody needs, but I'll give a bit to charity to make sure the poor people are alright."

The whole thing stinks. If you want to give money to charity, do it directly, not as you buy Christmas presents and pretend to care about those less lucky than you are. If you really care about the "Association of Young People with ME", give money to them directly, as I shall do.

FFS StarGalaxy were you born a total knob or do you just work at it.

I give to charity already. BUT I also buy a shit of stuff from the internet and if by doing this I give to something else then where the fucks the con. I could either go straight to play.com and buy my £100 of CD/DVD a month or go through the AYME site and buy the same CD/DVD's at the same price to me but give a little to charity.

You posted in another thread about why people get on your back and it's for this fucking reason. You don't think before you post.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You then give a pittance to charity

If I was generous, maybe.
    I think its only if you go through the links on the site. Well, thats what I was told, anyway.

Cheers Moon. I buy loads of CD/DVD's from play.com every month. I'll change my link to go through AYME first.

Oh and I'l spread the word.

:)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:

If you don't like the idea then don't participate. And certainly stay out of a thread about it. That rant was needles as no-one has said that they are "making a difference" by doing this.

It is only a few pence here and there but it still counts. I personally think it is a nice idea that requires very little effort and have bookmarked the address for future reference. If I buy anything from amazon etc then I will do it through there.

Cheers for the link Maria :)
    Good use of an affiliate scheme. Will remember it if I buy owt from those places.
    FFS StarGalaxy were you born a total knob or do you just work at it.

Nice ;)

Every little bit helps. So mayben you throw $1 to the Salvation Army bin (well that makes sense to me if you don't have that there :p) but so do hundreds of other people... just at one. You buy something online for somebody you love and a wee bit goes and helps others... but hundreds of others do. It adds up. Thanks for the idea Moon. I shall have to have a look when I get home and see if they are doing anything similar on the American sites.
    beans wrote:
    Who said anything about that?
    If it's a little extra to help then it's a little extra to help isn't it, and the more people that do it the more of the 'little extra's theres going to be.
    I don't think you can really comment on how much people do or don't give to charity when you don't actually know what they give or whatever.
    I am not trying to denigrate this scheme. I am merely pointing out a fact. What angers me is the way people suddenly pretend to care when "charity" is mentioned. Society is all too willing, too often, to brush these things aside, to pretend that all is right. Those with "illnesses" are labelled and put aside. I have nothing against charity, or giving money, just the way people are suddenly pretending they are interested. I make no apologies for pointing this out. All that said, I have no doubt the Association of Young People with ME is doing good work, long may that continue. So if you want to give money to them, please do. And for the record, yes I will give a donation.
    Why did you need to be an inconsiderate ass in this thread though? In the thread for the people who "pretend to care" Why not whine elsewhere?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What angers me is the way people suddenly pretend to care when "charity" is mentioned. Society's all too willing most of the time to brush these things aside, to pretend that all is right. Those with "illnesses" are all too often labelled and put aside. I have nothing against charity, or giving money to charity, just the way people are suddenly pretending they are interested. I make no apologies for pointing this out. That said, if you wish to take part in this scheme, feel free. I have no doubt the Association of Young People with ME is doing some good work, and long may that continue.

Who is "pretending they are interested"?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What angers me is the way people suddenly pretend to care when "charity" is mentioned. Society's all too willing most of the time to brush these things aside, to pretend that all is right. Those with "illnesses" are all too often labelled and put aside. I have nothing against charity, or giving money to charity, just the way people are suddenly pretending they are interested. I make no apologies for pointing this out. That said, if you wish to take part in this scheme, feel free. I have no doubt the Association of Young People with ME is doing some good work, and long may that continue.

can you please stop being such a grumpy old man? It doesn't do you any favours.

Quit moaning about people flamming you as well. It's beyond a joke. People have tolerated you for too long. Sometimes you are an alright guy, but more often and not you are a pain in the arse and you wind way too many people up.

If you don't agree with it the charity thing, then shut the hell up and don't post in here.

It's a simple enough concept to grasp.

/rant
    my_name wrote:
    Why did you need to be an inconsiderate ass in this thread though? In the thread for the people who "pretend to care" Why not whine elsewhere?

Cause he's a dick. End of story.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What angers me is the way people suddenly pretend to care when "charity" is mentioned.

Why make the assumption that we have just suddenly pretended to care about charity. I make a regular contribution to charity as do many on these boards I'm guessing. But not everyone in the country/World can donate to charities on a regular basis yet things like Red nose Day continue to raise countless millions.
    Cool, I've book-marked the link.
    Cause he's a dick. End of story.

Why make the assumption that we have just suddenly pretended to care about charity. I make a regular contribution to charity as do many on these boards I'm guessing. But not everyone in the country/World can donate to charities on a regular basis yet things like Red nose Day continue to raise countless millions.

Exactly my point, but Stargalaxy seems to have a rolling pin up his ass about something.
    Why make the assumption that we have just suddenly pretended to care about charity? I make a regular contribution to charity as do many on these boards I'm guessing. But not everyone in the country/World can donate to charities on a regular basis yet things like Red nose Day continue to raise countless millions.
    I agree with giving money to charity. There is nothing wrong with that, and I don't have a problem with a charity using the festive season to raise money to carry on its good work. Repeat: I have no problem with this charity, nor do I have a problem with the concept of charity.

I suspect that people are deliberately misinterpreting my comments and using distortion as a method for making personal attacks. They are bringing shame onto a good cause by doing so.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I agree with giving money to charity. There is nothing wrong with that, and I don't have a problem with a charity using the festive season to raise money to carry on its good work.

But they aren't jumping on the Xmas band wagon. As far as I can see they've been doing it for a while. And so what if the do jump on the Xmas band wagon to raise cash. It is the point of the year were people spend the most cash. Therefore more spending=more donations/cash raised.
    You brought shame onto a good cause by stating that people only pretend to care once charity is mentioned. Nobody distored what you said. Your brining shame onto this good cause because as beans so truthfully put it, you have a rolling pin up your ass. Now take it out, wash it and make some christmas cookies and be merry.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Repeat: I have no problem with this charity, nor do I have a problem with the concept of charity.

Stargalaxy, where has anyone said you do? Everyone just is a bit confused, and don't quite see why you've got your knickers in a big fat twist over all this.

Really now.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I suspect that people are deliberately misinterpreting my comments and using distortion as a method for making personal attacks. They are bringing shame onto a good cause by doing so.

You're not serious? You can't be serious........
    Infinite wrote:
    You're not serious? You can't be serious........

Thing is though, he is :banghead:
    But they aren't jumping on the Xmas band wagon. As far as I can see they've been doing it for a while. And so what if the do jump on the Xmas band wagon to raise cash. It is the point of the year were people spend the most cash. Therefore more spending=more donations/cash raised.
    I agree. There's nothing wrong with what the charity is doing. I would be interested, however, to find out just how much money is actually going to charity. Let's say I went onto Amazon and bought some CDs. If I spent, say £50, how much of that would go to AYPME?

Let's not forget there is some scandalous exploitation going on elsewhere. Those Christmas charity cards, for example. From what I understand, on charity cards that Clinton Cards sell, on a £3 card, only about 5p goes to charity. I'll try to find a link to confirm this. I'm not saying that Amazon is exploiting the season of goodwill, but if it turns out AYPME will only get a tiny percentage from the sales, it could be questioned whether the real benefactors of this deal are AYPME or Amazon themselves.

It may be a cynical way of thinking, but business is business after all.
    It's a standard Amazon affiliates link, so they would most likely get the same deal as anyone else putting a link on their website. You don't get a vast percentage, but then so what?
    What fucking difference does it make how much goes straight to the charity. The important thing is that something goes.

Either go straight to amazon and spend £100. Amazon gets £100. You get CD's.

OR go through the AYME site. Amazon get £99.99. AYME gets 1p. You get CD's. Everyone fucking wins.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I agree. There's nothing wrong with what the charity is doing. I would be interested, however, to find out just how much money is actually going to charity. Let's say I went onto Amazon and bought some CDs. If I spent, say £50, how much of that would go to AYPME?

Let's not forget there is some scandalous exploitation going on elsewhere. Those Christmas charity cards, for example. From what I understand, on charity cards that Clinton Cards sell, on a £3 card, only about 5p goes to charity. I'll try to find a link to confirm this. I'm not saying that Amazon is exploiting the season of goodwill, but if it turns out AYPME will only get a tiny percentage from the sales, it could be questioned whether the real benefactors of this deal are AYPME or Amazon themselves.

They either get a bit, or fuck all.

Now, a bit can make the difference and its better than nothing.

If people are gonna buy stuff from those sites anyway, they might as well make sure a little bit is going to a good cause. Can you not grasp that idea?
    Mist wrote:
    It's a standard Amazon affiliates link, so they would most likely get the same deal as anyone else putting a link on their website. You don't get a vast percentage, but then so what?
    Good question. Maybe I should send off an e-mail to Amazon to find out.
    stargalaxy wrote:

But this is completely different. Amazon aren't using the charity to sell anything. They're not promising that a certain percentage of the price of a product is going to charity. They aren't marketing any product as such.

People are going to buy from Amazon & Play.com anyway. If I'm honest, I don't think Amazon really need the charity to bring in extra punters. This way the charity is going to benefit. Amazon are still going to rake in a fortune, at least with some of that money is going to charity.