Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

It's Christmas!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...well, Woolies had the Christmas CD on today so now is the time to make everyone feel guilty and ask you to buy presents that will genuinely heal the sick and feed the hungry.

For a number of years, a lot of the major charities have been offering 'alternative' gift catalogues whereby you send them some money and they send a present or donation to the developing world. The recipient gets a card to acknowledge that you have donated the money you would have spent on them this Christmas to a good cause. Everyone wins.

Here are the links (and there are probably loads more nowadays):

Greatgifts from World Vision
Oxfam Unwrapped
Gifts for Life fromTraidcraft
SendACow

So please don't buy some charity Christmas cards and think you've done your bit. If you know someone who has everything, think about giving to those who have nothing.

:thumb:

Merry Christmas

Comments

• Options
    My brother is having chickens sent to Africa for his pressie from his godmother. I've got a 'present aid' booklet thingy, and in the front it says you can do it all year round, so me and my mum are going to send some goats or a cow to Africa for my Grandma's birthday. She is impossible to buy for because she's been getting presents for so long!

Also she doesn't really like cows very much (she got chased by some once) so the thought of there being one less cow here and one more cow over there will cheer her up :thumb:
  • Options
    nice idea Kentish.
    but its still a bit early yet. :p
  • Options
  • Options
    my missus is currently working with some shoe box thingy for kids.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    my missus is currently working with some shoe box thingy for kids.

My mum and I do them a fair bit.
    We did some for the soldiers when they ran out of stuff in Gulf War one too... cant beleive we can't supply our own troops with stuff.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    My mum and I do them a fair bit.
    We did some for the soldiers when they ran out of stuff in Gulf War one too... cant beleive we can't supply our own troops with stuff.
    i don't actualy know much about it as we've hardly seen each other for two weeks!